BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Supply Chain Issues Easing? Maybe Not...

06-09-2022, 11:40 AM   #45
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Management at your former company seems to have gone to the same school of management "leadership" at a former employer of mine went. I sell into the Federal government and during the Federal sequestration a few years ago, spending dropped through the floor. Agencies were not spending on any new projects and were only spending enough to keep the lights on. I also think this was when we had the Federal shut downs too. Management was beating all of us up for not meeting our sales targets. When we told them no one was spending, the answer we got was that isn't an excuse and to be more creative. I was thinking how the hell do you want us to pull money out of these agencies? It's as if these idiots lived under a rock and didn't see the news stories.
I feel your pain. Many of the SVPs were brought in by the CIO - and they all had retail background experience....that does not translate well to healthcare. I can't tell you how many times I was told "Well, when I worked at (let's use Walmart for example), all you had to do was...." Healthcare is not like that. Worst part is, their reasoning was impacting patient care.
Appreciate 3
zx10guy5149.50
      06-09-2022, 11:46 AM   #46
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGUYinCO View Post
I feel your pain. Many of the SVPs were brought in by the CIO - and they all had retail background experience....that does not translate well to healthcare. I can't tell you how many times I was told "Well, when I worked at (let's use Walmart for example), all you had to do was...." Healthcare is not like that. Worst part is, their reasoning was impacting patient care.
In my case, some of the senior leadership were literally cast offs from competing companies. I don't understand the logic as to why would anyone want to hire someone that was essentially fired from a competitor and think they're going to be a rock star here? Some of the management had Federal experience or at least understood it. Others did not.

I remember one senior VP that was brought over from a different division of the company to lead up North America sales. I wasn't on the all hands but one of my colleagues was. Sales volume as a whole was down. From my colleague, this individual proceeded to berate everyone and essentially called everyone losers. And said he doesn't associate with losers. Nice huh?
Appreciate 1
BMWGUYinCO4122.50
      06-09-2022, 12:01 PM   #47
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

Quote:
In my case, some of the senior leadership were literally cast offs from competing companies. I don't understand the logic as to why would anyone want to hire someone that was essentially fired from a competitor and think they're going to be a rock star here? Some of the management had Federal experience or at least understood it. Others did not.

I remember one senior VP that was brought over from a different division of the company to lead up North America sales. I wasn't on the all hands but one of my colleagues was. Sales volume as a whole was down. From my colleague, this individual proceeded to berate everyone and essentially called everyone losers. And said he doesn't associate with losers. Nice huh?
Does anyone question why there is the "Great Resignation" going on in corporate America?
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      06-09-2022, 12:29 PM   #48
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Monday we just approved a contract to revamp a conference room with new A/V, enabling hybrib meetings, digital control of microphones, and a single source for media presentations. Existing system for audio was built in 1976 (yes, no typo in that date)

As I'm working on contract language with the vendor, she mentions "some items have a 40-45 WEEK lead time, so hurry up" Wait, YOUR schedule doesn't have anything like that, unless I mistook the digit in your years.

I guess if we've waited since 1976, we can wait another year. . .
      06-09-2022, 12:38 PM   #49
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
For years, I have been pestering the senior administration at my employer about making a WFH policy. Every time (including two weeks before COVID-geddon lockdown), they said that hell would freeze over before that ever happened.

When I was scheduled to finally return to my office last July, I was told the day before our return that our employer was selling our office building and we needed to go in and pack our offices for storage by Friday.

TL;DR - Almost a year later now, and many of my colleagues and I are *still* WFH...because it suits our employer's needs to NOT provide us with replacement office space. All of my office paper files, tools, and equipment are sitting boxed in my race car hauler in our driveway, in case I need any of it.....
      06-09-2022, 12:42 PM   #50
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Does anyone question why there is the "Great Resignation" going on in corporate America?
Nope.

I'm only considering it for different reasons. Many companies don't seem to be willing to hand out decent raises to keep talent vs forcing a job change. My raise last year was 3.7% and 200 RSU's.

I like my boss, who I work with, etc. However, I know with my amount of experience I could get a higher paying job. One of my buddies that just left who is a manager thinks with my experience I'm somewhere between $25-35k/yr underpaid based on my experience. That's just base, and doesn't include RSU's.

That's not an inconsequential amount of money, especially when I'd still be working from home and don't need to buy anything or commute.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 12:51 PM   #51
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Nope.

I'm only considering it for different reasons. Many companies don't seem to be willing to hand out decent raises to keep talent vs forcing a job change. My raise last year was 3.7% and 200 RSU's.

I like my boss, who I work with, etc. However, I know with my amount of experience I could get a higher paying job. One of my buddies that just left who is a manager thinks with my experience I'm somewhere between $25-35k/yr underpaid based on my experience. That's just base, and doesn't include RSU's.

That's not an inconsequential amount of money, especially when I'd still be working from home and don't need to buy anything or commute.
I have worked for the same very large corporation (and after being on the acquired side of several MAs) for 20 years - more than half my career. After ~3 years here, I got a new boss and became progressively more miserable over the next decade +.

Eventually, he jettisoned me to another team and I have seen or been involved in zero interpersonal issues in the nearly 3 years since - as was the toxic culture in the other group.

TLDR; being happy with who you work with / for becomes very high priority when you hate it every day
BMWGUYinCO4122.50
vreihen1615259.00
ASAP10159.00
Cos270608.50
      06-09-2022, 03:52 PM   #52
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Nope.

Do you think companies are too dumb to realize that the person that comes into the position from somewhere else will not want even more lol? OR are they just delaying the inevitable... i dont know what you guys do but the median for my job has gone up drastically in the last few years.
      06-09-2022, 04:28 PM   #53
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Do you think companies are too dumb to realize that the person that comes into the position from somewhere else will not want even more lol? OR are they just delaying the inevitable... i dont know what you guys do but the median for my job has gone up drastically in the last few years.
EDIT: Now that I reread it, I think you may have understood my post. I'm saying since most companies give out paltry raises, after a few years you typically have to move on to another company to get a big jump. My previous job to here, I managed to get myself a $25k/yr raise.

I've only ever worked two places that gave a decent raise. I got 11% my first review at State Farm. At TWG, I got 7% after 90 days and another 5% at 1 year. Then it was 2% every year and your health insurance goes up as well as inflation, so to get back ahead you have to leave and go to a different company.

Hell when I worked for L3 Communications, the defense company. Every year I worked there I actually took home less money than the year before because the raises didn't even cover the increase in the cost of health care.

The median for my job has gone up dramatically for my position on the open market as well.

I'd also have to walk away from ten's of thousands worth of unvested RSUs at my current job. That's how many companies keep you on giving you a 3.5%-4% raise every year or every other year. Last summer I got a 4% raise and 200 RSUs. But they vest 25% every year for 4 years.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 05:23 PM   #54
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsAndGuitars View Post
TLDR; being happy with who you work with / for becomes very high priority when you hate it every day
^This. I don't hate my job, but I wouldn't work if I didn't have to. There is no doubt in my mind that I could make 10-20% more elsewhere, but the grass won't be greener plus I highly doubt I'd have the flexibility and many other perks that come with my current job. I don't need the extra money either.

I took a 20% haircut last year to only work 32 hours a week and that is ALL I'm allowed to work. When I was making 100% salary, I was working 55+ hours/wk and miserable. Now I work 32 hours/wk and I'm way happier and more efficient. Gone are my days of working late into the night and missing time with my family. I still get all my benefits (PTO is cut by 20%) plus I'm still 100% bonus eligible. There aren't many employers out there that have this work option. That's largely why I'm fine making less.
      06-09-2022, 05:59 PM   #55
Chick Webb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 E92, '17 540i, '21 X6 M50i

Man, you guys sure did a number on this thread!
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
RickFLM410971.00
wtwo317971.00
vreihen1615259.00
zx10guy5149.50
      06-09-2022, 07:28 PM   #56
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
In my case, some of the senior leadership were literally cast offs from competing companies. I don't understand the logic as to why would anyone want to hire someone that was essentially fired from a competitor and think they're going to be a rock star here?
lol.....a long time ago when I was not long in industry, I sat in meeting with a few seniors folks + director. Since we were waiting on someone running late, there was some casual talk going on and it led to the director asking what people's dream job was. When it got to me, I said CFO. That took everyone by surprise since I'm in a technical field. When asked why, I provided my 5-step plan:

1. Work at company A, keep my nose clean, and become CFO. Make a fat salary w/ perks and bonuses.
2. Run company A into the ground and get a fat severance package.
3. Get hired into company B and make a fat salary + perks and bonuses.
4. Run company B into the ground and get a fat severance package.
5. Retire early.

It became a running joke for many years.

///break///

Nope...supply chain is still f'd up based on my experiences at work. Some suppliers project no return to normal for a few years. Fook...
Cos270608.50
      06-10-2022, 08:10 AM   #57
ASAP
Major General
Rep

8.6% CPI report lmao
      06-10-2022, 08:30 AM   #58
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
8.6% CPI report lmao
At least current reports are showing mortgage applications plummeting and predicted recession in the first half of next year.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 08:35 AM   #59
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
8.6% CPI report lmao
At least current reports are showing mortgage applications plummeting and predicted recession in the first half of next year.
Well at least there is some truth our there lol.
      06-11-2022, 05:24 PM   #60
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
You're saying.....SLOWER than current?

Here's one for you....if I order parts from my local wholesale Honda dealer (30 miles away) and they have the parts on the shelf it will take me 5 days to get my order.
-Pull order from the shelf
-load them in a truck
-deliver them 30 miles away

Someone round up all these schleps that aren't working and sitting on their asses and ship them to some un-inhabited island
cmyx6go any East Coast input on this???
Sorry for the delayed response. I’m seeing truck capacity loosen up and rates are decreasing but this is truckload freight. Not sure what the deal is with your parts supplier. Do they route their own trucks for deliveries? Or do they ship with LTL companies (think Yellow Roadway ABF) I imagine the shipments are small. Different world.
      06-11-2022, 06:41 PM   #61
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

The fall is going to be fun. Not only is Ukraine going to be wrecked from the war but western Kansas is in such a bad drought probably looking at a 23-30% drop in output of wheat. With russia, ukraine and kansas impacted wheat, which is in so many things, is going to be expen$ive. Might be time to go gluten free.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 09:17 AM   #62
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

heres a fun shortage i ran in to today.

specialty construction sealant is months out. Used to be cases of the stuff readily available you could go pick up.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 09:35 AM   #63
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
heres a fun shortage i ran in to today.

specialty construction sealant is months out. Used to be cases of the stuff readily available you could go pick up.
Its been interesting talking to some old college buddies. One of my majors in college was *insert complicated name here* essentially "international logistics."

I ended up going a different direction but a lot of them are in the field and one of the things people don't realize is how JIT basically means anything can get held up along the way. For example your construction might be made in massive batches, hundreds or thousands of gallons at a time, but might be dependent on literally 3 kilos of an activator, pigment, etc. So basically they have 99% of the ingredients they need but are stuck waiting for this one stupid thing...

They are all basically bitching about how shit gets derailed for one little stupid thing, and by the time they could reengineer it (at cost) to work around it the stupid little thing finally becomes available, so its easier to just wait and hope. Its got businesses rethinking what is essential now.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 09:40 AM   #64
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
Eh, not really because its demographic and started before COVID (although it accelerated DURING). Late stage boomers are aging out and there isnt a massive force behind them, they were the last generation that had lots of kids, etc.

Economists were expecting millions to leave the job market in the 2020s (it really started heavy end of 2018) but they didnt expect COVID, which triggered a lot of boomers who were close enough but would have hung on a few more years to say "f this, Im out!" Cant blame them, if youre close to retirement and it looks like a pandemic might both derail the world AND target your age group youre gonna YOLO, I would.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      06-13-2022, 09:56 AM   #65
Cos270
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 F22 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
Eh, not really because its demographic and started before COVID (although it accelerated DURING). Late stage boomers are aging out and there isnt a massive force behind them, they were the last generation that had lots of kids, etc.

Economists were expecting millions to leave the job market in the 2020s (it really started heavy end of 2018) but they didnt expect COVID, which triggered a lot of boomers who were close enough but would have hung on a few more years to say "f this, Im out!" Cant blame them, if youre close to retirement and it looks like a pandemic might both derail the world AND target your age group youre gonna YOLO, I would.
This to a T. So many people from my company (auto engineering) have retired in the past year because they have plenty of money and they know the next 2-4 years are going to be hell.

Another factor, in my field anyways, is a serious lack of young engineers. Most people in my generation and younger (born early 90's and after) have figured out that they can make just as much, if not more money in tech and business jobs. Most have also figured out that the engineering departments of most automotive companies are just human meat grinders masquerading as organizations. The push towards EV has only made that worse. 150% productivity is expected and timing has been compressed to laughable timelines for program development and launches.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 10:00 AM   #66
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
^This. I don't hate my job, but I wouldn't work if I didn't have to. There is no doubt in my mind that I could make 10-20% more elsewhere, but the grass won't be greener plus I highly doubt I'd have the flexibility and many other perks that come with my current job.
I do think folks need to be more pragmatic about moving jobs. I was offered a role for $22K more than I am making, i earn decent but not great money so the $22K was significant.....at first blush. Then I pulled out the abacus.......
  • $22K x marginal tax rate of 43pc = actual raise of $12,540
  • Commute costs tallied to about $3,400 over current commute
  • i'd lose my tenure, so if i get turfed right now i'd get about 18 months salary continuance, new job would be starting from scratch
  • i'd need to grind hard for 2 years to earn my stripes
  • lose the flexibility i have in the short term
  • lose 7 hours per week in commute time

It just didn't make sense. The tax thing is real here, people just don't take that into account and leave for $10K more, like really? Lucky if you see half of that.
Appreciate 0