BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Oyster leather

03-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
omgguysomg
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 M135i xDrive

Oyster leather

I ordered a M135i in Mineral grey with black leather and wood inlay. I'm hesitating to switch to oyster leather, since my current car has black leather interior and it would be a welcome change.

It looks nice on the online configurator, but I haven't seen it in real life or on real pictures. Did anyone get the car with oyster? Can you post some pictures?

My main concerns would be the aging of the leather over time, giving it a yellowish shine. And I think black smudges on the oyster parts of the dashboard could be a problem too. Any thoughts on this?

Too bad btw that the car can't be ordered in a darker shade of blue, or with tan leather. Blue exterior and tan interior would be my preferred combination.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
airblade550
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118D Auto Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgguysomg View Post
I ordered a M135i in Mineral grey with black leather and wood inlay. I'm hesitating to switch to oyster leather, since my current car has black leather interior and it would be a welcome change.

It looks nice on the online configurator, but I haven't seen it in real life or on real pictures. Did anyone get the car with oyster? Can you post some pictures?

My main concerns would be the aging of the leather over time, giving it a yellowish shine. And I think black smudges on the oyster parts of the dashboard could be a problem too. Any thoughts on this?

Too bad btw that the car can't be ordered in a darker shade of blue, or with tan leather. Blue exterior and tan interior would be my preferred combination.
My Mineral Grey SE with Sports seats and Oyster leather... Also Fine wood trim...

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
omgguysomg
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 M135i xDrive

that looks very nice. Is it easy to clean/maintain?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
airblade550
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118D Auto Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgguysomg View Post
that looks very nice. Is it easy to clean/maintain?
Actually it's not too bad maintenance wise... I have replaced the mats with black ones for the winter as i'm sure the lighter ones would not be practical but the Oyster leather is fine...

I mostly wear denim so there is a degree of transferal of the dye and also some grime too but after a quick wipe with either a damp cloth or leather cleaner, they come up like new... I have not had any need to wipe the dash plastic as i'm quite carefull about marking it so it looks fine.

Actually, after 11 Months and 16k the seats actually look better than new in my opinion... What I mean is that when new, the seats look more like plastic than leather. After some use, they appear to be more, "leather like", if that makes sence....
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

My parents have what looks like the oyster interior in their e93. It's a few years old now and the seats look like shit, as does the carpet even though they have always used mats.

Have you thought about coral red? I got it because I was sick of dull interiors and I love it. It would go well with mineral grey.
      03-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 XDrive20d xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
My parents have what looks like the oyster interior in their e93. It's a few years old now and the seats look like shit, as does the carpet even though they have always used mats.

Have you thought about coral red? I got it because I was sick of dull interiors and I love it. It would go well with mineral grey.
+1

my mum and dad got a brand new volvo v50 with the R-design cream and black leather in 2010 and three years on it looks awful - the inevitable creases are more pronounced too because the shadows that get cast by the grain are easy to see. Also the lighter stitching gets dirty and grey and after a while it looks darker than the seats (only in places though)

to be fair mind they never clean their car - its more of a utility vehicle than something they take pride in

if in doubt go find one in auto trader a few years old and go to see it (ie. pretend you're interested in buying it) to see what you think of how it will look in a few years time...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 04:32 AM   #7
diesel20
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '15 F30 328i '15 F12 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by airblade550 View Post
My Mineral Grey SE with Sports seats and Oyster leather... Also Fine wood trim...
Looks awesome! Very grown up

Interesting the H/K speaker covers are black with this combo, not silver.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #8
actuarius
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

I have had mine M135i with oyster leather for 5 months now, and in my opinion they look great. I prefer the lighter interior than an all black tone. Prior to my current car I had an E90 for over 7 years with beige leather interior and I didn't have any issues. Have to say though I do try my best to keep the car in good condition.
Appreciate 0