BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 2 weeks old BMW 116i with a serious malfunction

06-29-2012, 04:27 AM   #1
max2005b
Private
Rep
Drives: F20

2 weeks old BMW 116i with a serious malfunction

This is a letter I wrote to BMW AG:

Quote:
To whom it may concern,

I have recently purchased a brand new BMW 116i (F20) in Israel, license plate --------.
The car arrived as specified and agreed on, 3 months after initial order.
I received the car on the 07/06/2012 and was happy with it, until 2 days ago when suddenly I noticed the speedometer scale and digital viewer froze on 40KM/h.
I pressed the 'BMW Hotline Service' button and waited almost for 25 minutes and then the line was disconnected, with no answer.
The morning after I immediately drove to the authorized BMW dealer.
After a few tests they told me that the diagnostics is a faulty speedometer.
I was told to leave the car for 2 weeks in the shop because of safety concerns, until the fitting part will arrive.
I was supplied with a low grade vehicle (Mazda 6) for the 2 weeks waiting period.
The general feeling I got was as if it was pretty normal for a brand new BMW to break down after total 2 weeks.
No one said their sorry nor tried to compensate me for this unpleasant buying experience.

Might I add that during the initial waiting period for the car to arrive from Germany, I tried contacting the local authorized BMW dealer numerous times for receiving information regarding the M-Sports kit for my upcoming 116i (front bumper, rear bumper and side skirts) but was never answered.
I was willing to pay a fair amount of money but failed to receive any answer regarding kit prices. I wanted to believe this is not an indication of BMW services in Israel, Later on obviously, I found out my hopes were incorrect.

There are not enough words to express my disappointment from BMW brand, service and credibility.

Other than the obvious major car fault which occurred only after 2 weeks of driving, I cannot understand why there are no spare parts in Israel, and better yet, why does it take a whole 2 weeks to receive the part from Germany,
when any courier could ship it with express shipment for no more than 3 days.

Hoping for a sincere and fast answer.
Your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
WULFFZA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MSport / 2012 X5 35d

That is unfortunate, but an electronic glitch that freezes the instruments is a serious malfunction? what would you call engine failure?
Do not misplace your frustration and blame it on the BMW brand, when the issue lies with the people you are dealing with in your country at that dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Hi Max
It sounds like it is the Dealer that could be the problem.

I had a similar issue with my previous car when I went to the dealership that I bought the car from because it had a faulty sensor.

They basically, were not that concerned and did not try very hard saying 'The car was too new and the factory would not have the spares available for 6 to 8 weeks'.

I left after I overheard one guy say to another "It is only a base model''
I got my car and took it to another dealer who did fix it. (subsiquently, the one I bought my current car and have placed the order for the new one)

They went to a lot of trouble at the time to help me get it sorted, they kept the car there, organised another car for me to use and had a part flown in within a few days.

Even now, with the delay with the current new car order, they have offered me some BMW shop goodies like the Y cable, a duffle bag and some other shop items free.

My advise is, if there is another BMW Dealer, go talk to them. Your warrantee can be done by any BMW dealer. If they treat you with respect and can get it sorted go with them. They will arrange for your car to be transferred to their workshop.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 02:43 AM   #4
diesel20
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '15 F30 328i '15 F12 650i

Like others I think this is a dealer problem, although I don't know about service levels in Israel. At least they provided you with a loaner as sucky as it might be.

At the end of the day we pay quite a bit for that BMW badge, in comparison to other, less premium brands. That means we are entitled to the same level of service as a 7 series customer. If your dealer doesn't appreciate that, find one who does. Or talk to the salesperson who sold you the car, maybe they can pull some strings.

If you wanted to know about the m sport pack after you placed your order, then your spec is finalized but it would be a nice courtesy for your sales person to provide any info you want. It sounds like service in general is lacking at this dealership.

I mentioned in another thread about service levels of new car purchases. I found a fantastic sales lady, maybe if I shop extensively I could shave a tiny bit off the price. But after meeting a disinterested deadbeat at another dealer, I think my sales lady will look after me post sales as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 03:56 AM   #5
Nadav
Rep
Drives: F20

Just to be clear guys, there's no BMW dealers in Israel. (In fact, we don't have dealers at all,just official agencies from the brand, thats why the cars are so expensive in here).
There is just the official agency for BMW only in Tel-Aviv.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Hi Nadav
I hate bad service, and plebs at sole agencies who think they are in control or just don't care.
If you cannot get satisfaction, talk to the General Manager of the agency, and get his/her business card with their email address.
If that person seems disinterested or unwilling to help you with your issue, send an email to BMW Germany's Global customer service manager (1thomas may be able to get that person's email address for you) and cc the GM in on your email, then you will see the service from your agent improve dramatically.
Appreciate 0