BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > *Official* BimmerPost Photo Contest #50: "Missing Person"

02-16-2012, 12:11 AM   #23
MATT0404
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
ahah nice one rodi.

Short duration for entries but nice theme tho; should open the door for a lot of creativity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
The deadline is a little soon, eh?

I have a great idea, just not what I need to do it.... Might have to come up with something else.
Sorry, guys, I didn't realize the previous contests were longer than a week. I could extend the deadline to give a few more days for entries.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 03:33 AM   #24
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Don't think I've entered this before but if I have, let me know :-)

Resolution broken by PRotography EU, on Flickr
      02-16-2012, 06:22 AM   #25
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List
Please confirm if it gets extended or not (and if everybody is ok about it). Since I have a shot in my head and i'm currently trying to find some time to go and get it (an hour away).

I'm off duty on monday, so even just a day would be awesome for me.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #26
MATT0404
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by - Paul - View Post
Don't think I've entered this before but if I have, let me know :-)
Nice shot

Quote:
Please confirm if it gets extended or not (and if everybody is ok about it). Since I have a shot in my head and i'm currently trying to find some time to go and get it (an hour away).

I'm off duty on monday, so even just a day would be awesome for me.
I extended the deadline to February 22nd. Sorry, guys, I didn't realize most of the contests were 10+ days. I just figured they were a week.

Nice entries so far! I hope to see some more in the coming days.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #27
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

Matt, sounds good. I think we just try to make sure that people have two full weekends to shoot for the contest, so I'm glad you extended the deadline a couple extra days. Also, I believe the voting thread should only be from Mondays through Thursdays, so it gives the winner a day to come up with the new theme.
      02-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #28
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Thanks Matt.

I really like those contests btw. I love walking around with that contest in mind and trying to find THE shot that will make it to the contest.

Last one was a first for me. Never really showed any of my pictures outside of my family before that.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 09:57 AM   #29
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Thanks Matt.

I really like those contests btw. I love walking around with that contest in mind and trying to find THE shot that will make it to the contest.

Last one was a first for me. Never really showed any of my pictures outside of my family before that.
well, now that you've started, we aren't going to let you stop
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 11:47 AM   #30
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
You got it Scotty!

I dont know if I got it right but I think that the best shots are those that you dont have to process too much; I try not to make them look fake; but what I see is totally different from what others see; So that's why I like to get comments on my pictures and adapt from there.

Post processing is also new for me (other then the usual crop and basic stuff); so i'm feeling like I'm a total newbie compared to you guys.

Keep up the good work

And -Paul-; very nice shot btw. Very sharp.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #31
bluespeed117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Garage List
2007 e90 328i  [0.00]
Postal Service
Attached Images

02-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #32
Fredds112
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i, 2006 330CI

Saw this opportunity today and I though i'd share. Didn't have my camera with me so iPhone had to do.

Absent Future

absent future by fredds112, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #33
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Not sure we're hitting the theme as stated except in a very broad interpretation. The key to the theme was "somebody was just here." None of these images have any indication of a person being there just a minute ago. I was looking forward to some creative settings, not just empty space or whatever.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 04:20 AM   #34
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Not sure we're hitting the theme as stated except in a very broad interpretation. The key to the theme was "somebody was just here." None of these images have any indication of a person being there just a minute ago. I was looking forward to some creative settings, not just empty space or whatever.
I don't see your viewpoint at all here.

"Somebody was just here. What were they doing? Relaxing, reading, fighting, sleeping, eating, causing destruction? Capture the vacated scene. These are just some examples of what someone might photograph. Use your creativity and interpret the theme as you wish. If necessary, please include a brief description.

The only guideline in this contest is that whoever was doing whatever in your photo should no longer be present. Make sense? So, whoever was reading in their favorite chair and left their book and eyeglasses on the end table should no longer be in the scene. "

I will only speak for my entry but it's pretty obvious imo. Someone has just finished a cigarette, ie - someone was there smoking that cigarette but has now left the scene (as wanted in the contest advice)

I think "Use your creativity and interpret the theme as you wish" pretty much sums it up.

Last edited by - Paul -; 02-17-2012 at 04:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 07:24 AM   #35
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't see your viewpoint at all here.

"Somebody was just here. What were they doing? Relaxing, reading, fighting, sleeping, eating, causing destruction? Capture the vacated scene. These are just some examples of what someone might photograph. Use your creativity and interpret the theme as you wish. If necessary, please include a brief description.

The only guideline in this contest is that whoever was doing whatever in your photo should no longer be present. Make sense? So, whoever was reading in their favorite chair and left their book and eyeglasses on the end table should no longer be in the scene. "

I will only speak for my entry but it's pretty obvious imo. Someone has just finished a cigarette, ie - someone was there smoking that cigarette but has now left the scene (as wanted in the contest advice)

I think "Use your creativity and interpret the theme as you wish" pretty much sums it up.
Yours is the closest to the theme, IMO, but the cig butt could have been there for days. If it had still been burning, then it would have been closer.

And yes, that last line leaves it wide open to interpretation in a way, but taken too far it encompasses any unoccupied space, regardless of how long it has been unoccupied. I don't think that meets the first line of "Someone was just here."

I have pictures of empty churches that would technically fit the theme, but I don't think they meet the spirit of the theme.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #36
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep

I agree with Mark on this one... that being said, I think the current photos are within the rules of theme, if not in the spirit of the theme.
      02-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #37
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
This is just getting silly now - Why bitch and moan about every contest? Why not just let people enter and then vote on their entry - none of this "dissing" before the voting has even started! - The person who won the last contest can decide if pics don't meet the theme and delete (not enter them) at will.
      02-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #38
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

No need to get upset, Paul. I'm just trying to make the point that we have themes for these contests for a reason, which is to try to focus one's efforts when composing (or choosing) an entry. If we're going to interpret the themes so broadly as to essentially ignore them, why have themes at all? I could post a picture of the salt flats in Death Valley and claim there were people there a minute ago. Hardly what the theme is meant to convey, though. These contests and their themes are meant to stimulate a creative process on the part of the photographer. But sometimes it seems people rifle through old images to find anything that comes close to fitting the theme. In some cases, like the last contest about winter or the one about cityscapes, it's easy enough to find an appropriate image. But this theme held the promise of some really creative entries and as yet, I have seen none. The images have all been good, solid images, but nothing about them suggests that someone was "just there."

Quote:
The person who won the last contest can decide if pics don't meet the theme and delete (not enter them) at will.
Rodi tried that with his reflective/transparent theme around Christmas time and he got jumped all over, most notably by you.

-UncleWede

Last edited by M_Six; 02-17-2012 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #39
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Rodi couldn't make his mind up what met the theme or not. Re your thoughts on the entries so far - don't vote for them.

As said numerous times already - if we are all of the opinion now that previous shots are not to be entered, then let that be in the description. I have always used old shots - does it make them any worse?
      02-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #40
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep

rodi is a fickle fellow.
      02-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #41
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Rodi couldn't make his mind up what met the theme or not. Re your thoughts on the entries so far - don't vote for them.

As said numerous times already - if we are all of the opinion now that previous shots are not to be entered, then let that be in the description. I have always used old shots - does it make them any worse?
Rodi had better things to do (in the form of half-naked women ) than enforce his theme idea for a basically meaningless contest. If effect, he said f**k it and let the contest go where it would. I don't blame him. It was ironic watching people tell rodi that his ideas about his theme were wrong. I, on the other hand, have nothing better to do than argue inanely on the internet.

No, there is nothing wrong with old pics as long as they adhere to the theme. It's the very broad interpretation of the theme used to justify old pics that gets me.

And yes, I'll be voting with an eye (my eye) toward the theme's spirit.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #42
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I, on the other hand, have nothing better to do than argue inanely on the internet.
- likewise

IMO my interpretation isn't broad. That cig has only been there a little while - the ash is in the same place as the cig. Agreed, smoke would be better but it wasn't there. The example Matt gives re a chair - that chair could be empty for days - what would be the difference in the pic??
      02-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #43
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
- likewise

IMO my interpretation isn't broad. That cig has only been there a little while - the ash is in the same place as the cig. Agreed, smoke would be better but it wasn't there. The example Matt gives re a chair - that chair could be empty for days - what would be the difference in the pic??
I think the difference is that Matt isn't arguing the Mark's opinion. Mark actually said that yours fit the theme most of all submissions. So i would assume Mark would say there is no difference between the two pics in regards to being in the spirt of the theme.

I tend to agree with Mark which is why i haven't posted in every contest. Didn't have time to shoot and because people are coming up with great themes i couldn't find anything in the archives that fit. Even though i don't have anything to post from my files i really love this theme and ideas a zinging around my brain, yet time is still the enemy for me.

Have SOOO many ideas for this one. Just need to pic the one that would take the least amount of time i guess.
      02-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #44
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
That "two weekends" rule for the duration is cool;

1 week to think, another weekend to shoot

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0