BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Review: The Infamous BMW Y Cable

06-13-2012, 02:56 AM   #23
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilC View Post
I have the genuine BMW cable, and it works fine. The only slight problem is that the sound quality is sh*t!!

I use a USB stick for music, and the iPod for podcasts/audiobooks. I am amazed BMW can't sort this and allow iPod control and playback through a USB port. Every other car manufacturer seems to be able to manage it (including my old Audi).

On a side note, has anyone noticed that when you select the random option, it plays the songs in the same random order each time (depending on which song you select to listen to first). I have 3000 songs on my USB stick, and when I plug it in it plays the first alphabetical song. If I switch on random at this point, it then plays songs in a non alphabetical order, but always the same songs. If I plug it in and select song 2 from the alphabetical list and then go random, it plays different songs, but always in the same order.

It is a pity that USB doesn't support playlists.
i'm truly shocked that you find the audio quality sh*t- i found it comparable to the USB stick. USB only just winning...
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 04:21 AM   #24
NeilC
Rep
Drives: 116ED

The AUX input lacks any punch or clarity. It does have to be said that I am a bit of an audio geek, so I probably expect better.

I also have fairly high bitrate AACs on the USB. Were you comparing the Ycable to standard 128 MP3 files. If so, you may not notice as much difference.

I put my favourite test track (Duel by Propaganda) on simultaneously on the iPod through AUX and the USB stick and kept flicking between the two. The difference was very noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 04:34 AM   #25
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilC View Post
The AUX input lacks any punch or clarity. It does have to be said that I am a bit of an audio geek, so I probably expect better.

I also have fairly high bitrate AACs on the USB. Were you comparing the Ycable to standard 128 MP3 files. If so, you may not notice as much difference.

I put my favourite test track (Duel by Propaganda) on simultaneously on the iPod through AUX and the USB stick and kept flicking between the two. The difference was very noticeable.
My AACs are down converted to the highest quality MP3 that iDrive will play. The MP3s on my phone are also high quality iTunes+ files.

Do you have HK audio? i have standard audio 6 spkr, which may explain it
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 11:31 AM   #26
NeilC
Rep

I also have the standard speakers. I know that the iDrive isn't supposed to cope with high bit rate files, but it plays my huge lossless files without problems. Generally I have 320 AACs, but some 256s and some lossless files.

All play well, and all (even the few 128 MP3 files I have) sound significantly better than the iPod with the same files on. Maybe I have just developed too critical an ear which spoils listening to bad quality music

The standard speakers aren't as good as my A3 standard speakers (which had tweeters and a sub, although I had to tone down the sub as it was far too boomy), but they are a lot better than I expected after reading reviews.

Has anyone tried the Alpine upgrade on the F20 yet?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 06:40 AM   #27
LatinBimmer
Lieutenant
Peru
Rep
Drives: X5 2014 Sparkling Brown

Finally!
The 116i Black is finally mine! I used the Y cable bought from eBay and it works perfect, display song/artist and a great sound quality. (I left the link in the beginning of this thread.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 08:26 AM   #28
Lucas S.
Private
Rep
Drives: waiting a F20 118i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by eseminario View Post
Finally!
The 116i Black is finally mine! I used the Y cable bought from eBay and it works perfect, display song/artist and a great sound quality. (I left the link in the beginning of this thread.
Does it works fine with the i-drive? can you control songs with the i-drive,
and the tone with the multifunction steering wheel?

It works as the OEM BMW cable?

If you confirm, I would buy one as soon as possible

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #29
LatinBimmer
Lieutenant
Peru
Rep
Drives: X5 2014 Sparkling Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas S. View Post
Does it works fine with the i-drive? can you control songs with the i-drive,
and the tone with the multifunction steering wheel?

It works as the OEM BMW cable?

If you confirm, I would buy one as soon as possible

Thanks!
Hello friend. Exactly, it works perfect with the iDrive and the steering wheel. it reads songs by title, artist, album and playlists. (I don't have the Pro Nav, only the small screen, so I can't see album covers, but everything else works perfect.
Be careful and buy the one with the link I left in the top of this thread, because there are many Y cables in eBay that doesn't work a all.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #30
Lucas S.
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eseminario View Post
Hello friend. Exactly, it works perfect with the iDrive and the steering wheel. it reads songs by title, artist, album and playlists. (I don't have the Pro Nav, only the small screen, so I can't see album covers, but everything else works perfect.
Be careful and buy the one with the link I left in the top of this thread, because there are many Y cables in eBay that doesn't work a all.
Thanks for faster answer!

I will buy the cable from the ebay link you posted, I suppose the same cable as yours ... so it should work perfect, as my F20 has hifi professional, but no nav

Price is 18 GBP (22 EUR) shipping included to Spain
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #31
hufc2002
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 318d M Sport

So my question really is this:

As I am an iphone user, am I worthwhile shelling out for the Y cable or should I just stilck to a USB?

My car will have standard professional stereo.

Estoril Blue 118d M Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 10:16 AM   #32
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep

Garage List
depends- if youwant your phone charging on long trips- or if you want to use iphone satnav. if the answer to ether of these is yes- get the cable and do my walk through on fitting a dock.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #33
Patrick BMW
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Garage List
2016 BMW 430iAM-Sport  [0.00]
2012 125i  [9.00]

+1
When mine arrives, I'll do that!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #34
AlexP
Rep
Drives: not yet... F20 116iA M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeech View Post
depends- if youwant your phone charging on long trips- or if you want to use iphone satnav. if the answer to ether of these is yes- get the cable and do my walk through on fitting a dock.
How is it possible to use the phone satnav ? I guess transmitting the phone's screen to the built-in screen of the car of course. As I'm VERY interested in this
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #35
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexP
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeech View Post
How is it possible to use the phone satnav ? I guess transmitting the phone's screen to the built-in screen of the car of course. As I'm VERY interested in this
Not on idrive screen- on your phones screen- which is docked on your dash
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 12:55 AM   #36
sdk2007
Rep
Drives: F20 M Sport - Estoril Blue

I'm using a USB stick for my music as the sound quality from the Y cable is pretty rubbish. When I'm using TomTom on my iPhone I plug it into one of the 12v power outlets. Might as well make of use of them - with interior comfort you get 4 12v sockets
      06-16-2012, 01:45 AM   #37
hufc2002
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 318d M Sport

Think I will buy a Y cable off eBay unless the dealer lets me have one for free.

Estoril Blue 118d M Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 05:13 AM   #38
Spitfire Sir?
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Red F20 116i Sport

Well I have to report that the cable I bought off ebay is not as good as I first reported!

Basically I checked that all my software, both in phone and car are up to date. The problems I have are these:

iPhone seems to connect ok at first, after maybe a maximum of 10 minutes the connection fails, IDrive reading 'not connected'

Try to reconnect and the IDrive simply reads device not recognised

The one call that I managed to receive whilst listening to music (well timed I might add!), caused the music to go off as expected, however, once the call was finished the music never came back on and the IDrive reported the device not recognised again?

I am angling for a refund off ebay at the moment, seems some of these cables are just simply not compatible.

23/06/12 (I got a refund no problem off the ebay seller, top man! Just beware that some of these after market jobs have some compatibility issues with the F20 apparently)

Can anyone recommend a well road tested aftermarket cable? I can't face giving BMW anymore of my dosh!

Cheers.

Last edited by Spitfire Sir?; 06-23-2012 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: Update about Y cable
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #39
Lucas S.
Private
Rep

I have bought the ebay Y cable that esemisario recommended and I have received it .... but it doesnīt works.

I can see USB 'not connected' in my i-Drive screen. I only can listen music from my Ipod but canīt control it with the i-Drive or multifuntional steering wheel. I have to control music with the Ipod touch...

I confirm my USB connection works perfectly with a memory stick, so the problem is with the Y cable.

I am angling for a refund off ebay...
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #40
patrice03
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: z23 318d f30

is there really a huge quality gap between y cable and usb ?? because if usb does not recognize playlists, seems unworkable to navigate through gigs of music..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #41
Nadav
Rep
Drives: F20

Hi, I bought this Y-Cable and it's works perfectly
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190631518734...ht_1206wt_1257
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #42
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Some people have made USB-playlists work in other new BMWs. Check this F30-thread:
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693398
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #43
NeilC
Rep

I can't make playlists work on my USB, but you can navigate by Artist, or Album or Genre etc.

So it is quite easy to find the album you want to play.

I personally just stick it on Random, and let BMW surprise me with one of my thousands of songs (some of which I haven't heard for years )
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #44
NeilC
Rep

Also, annoyingly, one of my colleagues who ordered the enhanced bluetooth/usb option says he can just plug his iPod into the USB port using the OEM Apple cable, and it all works fine!!!!!
Appreciate 0