BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Mobility Kit Standard?

05-14-2019, 03:49 AM   #1
Talksr
Rep
Drives: F20 120D (2018)

Mobility Kit Standard?

Hi there,
Not had my first BMW (ever) 1 series 12 hrs yet. Was reading through manual and it makes reference to a mobility kit. I can see there is no spare tyre. But the mobility kit does not seem to be under the carpet in the boot where it is mentioned on the manual.

I have a 2018 120d. Does anyone know if these are included as standard? I am wondering if someone has kicked it before it was sold to me?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 05:43 AM   #2
AlkanNavigator
Warranty Advisor
Turkey
Rep
Drives: F20 116i Sport Line N13

Garage List
If your vehicle has RFT tires, there is no mobility kit.

However, if you want to be sure, please contact your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 06:23 AM   #3
Talksr
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlkanNavigator View Post
If your vehicle has RFT tires, there is no mobility kit.

However, if you want to be sure, please contact your dealer.
Thank you. Yes it does have RFT. I assumed it would come with one, but ok, thinking about it, that does make sense.

I will double check with them, but wonder if it would be sensible having one, or if having one would make no difference as the tyre will stay inflated until a set amount of miles have been covered anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 08:22 AM   #4
AlkanNavigator
Warranty Advisor
Turkey
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talksr View Post
Thank you. Yes it does have RFT. I assumed it would come with one, but ok, thinking about it, that does make sense.

I will double check with them, but wonder if it would be sensible having one, or if having one would make no difference as the tyre will stay inflated until a set amount of miles have been covered anyway.
Let me try to explain what the Mobility Kit is and what it does.

The kit consists of a zip-up nylon storage bag with a rubberized bottom which prevents it from moving about when driving. It contains a portable 12 volt DC air compressor, one bottle of tire puncture repairing sealant gel, universal compressor adapters, valve stem removal tool, and an instruction manual to guide you through the process of performing a roadside tire repair.

But you don't need this kit because you have RFT tires. Because even on one of the RFT tires you use, even if the tire pressure drops to 0 PSI, you can continue your journey for 150 - 200 km without rising above 80 km/h. This way, you can repair or replace the tire by going to the nearest tire shop.

If you switch to nonRFT tires in the future, then you need to buy Mobility Kit. But then there will be a problem. Your wheels are equipped with RDC air pressure control sensors. This gel will damage the RDC sensors if you use tire repair gel when the tire pressure drops to 0 PSI. Therefore, we recommend that you always choose a suitable RFT tire for summer or winter tires.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by AlkanNavigator; 05-14-2019 at 08:38 AM..
Appreciate 1
Talksr3.00
      05-14-2019, 10:15 AM   #5
Talksr
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlkanNavigator View Post
Let me try to explain what the Mobility Kit is and what it does.

The kit consists of a zip-up nylon storage bag with a rubberized bottom which prevents it from moving about when driving. It contains a portable 12 volt DC air compressor, one bottle of tire puncture repairing sealant gel, universal compressor adapters, valve stem removal tool, and an instruction manual to guide you through the process of performing a roadside tire repair.

But you don't need this kit because you have RFT tires. Because even on one of the RFT tires you use, even if the tire pressure drops to 0 PSI, you can continue your journey for 150 - 200 km without rising above 80 km/h. This way, you can repair or replace the tire by going to the nearest tire shop.

If you switch to nonRFT tires in the future, then you need to buy Mobility Kit. But then there will be a problem. Your wheels are equipped with RDC air pressure control sensors. This gel will damage the RDC sensors if you use tire repair gel when the tire pressure drops to 0 PSI. Therefore, we recommend that you always choose a suitable RFT tire for summer or winter tires.

Have a nice day.
Thanks very much, really helpful and now I understand exactly what you mean.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 10:16 AM   #6
AlkanNavigator
Warranty Advisor
Turkey
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks very much, really helpful and now I understand exactly what you mean.

Thanks again!
Your welcome.
Appreciate 1
Talksr3.00
      05-14-2019, 10:54 AM   #7
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
wonder if it would be sensible having one, or if having one would make no difference as the tyre will stay inflated until a set amount of miles have been covered anyway.
Applying the mobility kit should apparently increase run on flat distance you can cover (I recall at least 80 kilometres promised but it depends on the load and road quality, of course). So if you expect yourself lost in the wild it might make some sense with RFT although people report RFT tyres do stand much more than promised, so... A RFT tyre does not stay inflated, it just holds on despite no air pressure inside (rigid walls) and degrades while you keep riding on it.

Regarding air pressure sensors (if you really have those). It's recommended that you replace a damaged RFT tyre, which makes effectively two on the same axle (if you mind driveability - keep reading the manual, it's there, I recall ). M Performance (and above) cars do have both air pressure sensors and the mobility kit without RFT.

I had my punctured RFT tyre repaired quite awhile (long, a few years) ago and it's all right since, no issues. I did appreciate the convenience of simply driving to the tyre shop the next day after I had the puncture detected by the system (no sensors, wheel rotation speed based).
Appreciate 1
Talksr3.00
      05-14-2019, 01:29 PM   #8
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

There are alternative ways to repair a puncture. I have a worm kit that can sometimes work. Still need a jack, a torque wrench and a compressor.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 02:15 PM   #9
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
There are alternative ways to repair a puncture. I have a worm kit that can sometimes work. Still need a jack, a torque wrench and a compressor.
I saw those on sale. But it's more labour, more complicated (more fun on a frosty winter night) and less reliable than having a spare wheel (some trust in to still carry despite there's no dedicated storage in the car). In a city there can be a mobile tyre shop service available (they just come to work on the car in place).
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 03:04 PM   #10
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
I saw those on sale. But it's more labour, more complicated (more fun on a frosty winter night) and less reliable than having a spare wheel (some trust in to still carry despite there's no dedicated storage in the car). In a city there can be a mobile tyre shop service available (they just come to work on the car in place).
I will be going on a long drive to remote areas in northern Norway this summer, and I will probably bring a winter tyre as a spare.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 03:52 PM   #11
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I will be going on a long drive to remote areas in northern Norway this summer, and I will probably bring a winter tyre as a spare.
A quote from some movie: "-Damn!!! -I hope you have a spare wheel... -I do. But I don't have two!". A mobility kit with a spare bottle could even take up less space (that's besides less effort to apply). But it's still less reliable, of course.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 03:32 AM   #12
AlkanNavigator
Warranty Advisor
Turkey
Rep

Garage List
One final thing, if your vehicle has an RPA system, there is no RDC sensor on the wheels. You can use the repair gel.
Appreciate 0