BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > HBO Chernobyl Mini Series

05-15-2019, 11:34 PM   #23
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Video I found which puts things in perspective the severity of radiation involved with various events/incidents:

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 08:06 AM   #24
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

we ll accidentally kill ourselves with radioactive toys not that far..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 11:37 PM   #25
Grip Addict
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Too lazy to search for the threads we've had about Chernobyl and Fukushima.

Anyways, I stumbled across this when channel surfing. It's actually really good. I wonder how much of the depictions are actual or fake to add drama. Just finished watching the second installment and the scene where the two Soviet officials were "asking" for volunteers to go under the compromised reactor to open water valves was pretty moving. Can't imagine what could be going through their heads knowing people are already dying from the radiation exposure and being told three people from your group would have to voluntarily go into super hot radiation zone...pretty much signing your death warrant.

If you haven't seen this yet, to me it's definitely worth the watch so far.
Regarding your how much is actual or fake, since it is something that happened I won't hold back too far on spoiling. It would be like holding back to tell you the Titanic sunk.

Since you are far enough of the volunteer scene I will comment on things I know are embellished for drama.

the helicopter crash, it happened during the construction of the containment building to contain the core. the helicopter hit one of the cords from a crane and dropped. there is old school grainy video of this on the web, they didn't fly over the core, though they believe the pilot was fatigued from the radiation and could not see the cord he hit. they would do nonstop runs to get it done.

The other thing is the woman. The one who comes to help them. She isn't a real person, but they said she is a placeholder for a culmination of scientists. having 100 scientists running around with their heads cut off trying to fix an issue isnt good for TV, so I get why they did it.
Appreciate 2
zx10guy5137.00
      05-17-2019, 04:47 AM   #26
Ivan Ivanov
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: X1, X3

I finally watched the first two series. Immediately I can say that all scenery (interiors, buildings, cars, appliances, household items, clothing) - at a very high level performed! Authenticitys of recreating the situation is amazing.
About how soviet officials are depicted - while I smile, I will comment later ..
Appreciate 2
zx10guy5137.00
      05-17-2019, 06:47 AM   #27
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bicycle - reducing carbon

Absolutely insane show.

TBH I am not too familiar with the true story of Chernobyl but if this show is even remotely close, WOW.
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5137.00
      05-17-2019, 08:44 AM   #28
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
I freaking love it so far.
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 2
zx10guy5137.00
      05-17-2019, 10:00 AM   #29
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldPump View Post
Absolutely insane show.

TBH I am not too familiar with the true story of Chernobyl but if this show is even remotely close, WOW.
Very interesting reading!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherno...er?wprov=sfti1 https://maps.apple.com/?ll=51.389722...04Ck/GIZPkA%3D
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2019, 11:28 PM   #30
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Saw one episode and facepalmed the whole way through. This show is typical Cold War propaganda....

Americans doing a movie on what Soviet Union was just lmao. It's like someone in Zimbabwe doing a movie on what Downtown LA is like...you'd watch it in LA just wondering what kind of crack the producer was smoking.

Also this show goes really low by showing kids and pregnant women dying...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 11:41 PM   #31
Grip Addict
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsnazos View Post
Saw one episode and facepalmed the whole way through. This show is typical Cold War propaganda....

Americans doing a movie on what Soviet Union was just lmao. It's like someone in Zimbabwe doing a movie on what Downtown LA is like...you'd watch it in LA just wondering what kind of crack the producer was smoking.

I took your comment to mean you are not aware of it, but the show is based on a real event. I may have misunderstood your point though.

No America making stuff up about Soviet Union.

Like not one of those "based on a true story" movies where the names are the same so its a true story.

A nuclear reactor exploded. Had they not done what they did to contain it and not make it worse a big chunk of Europe/Asia would be a big hole right now and the whole world would have been in contact with some level of radiation.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 11:46 PM   #32
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip Addict View Post
I took your comment to mean you are not aware of it, but the show is based on a real event. I may have misunderstood your point though.

No America making stuff up about Soviet Union.

Like not one of those "based on a true story" movies where the names are the same so its a true story.

A nuclear reactor exploded. Had they not done what they did to contain it and not make it worse a big chunk of Europe/Asia would be a big hole right now and the whole world would have been in contact with some level of radiation.
Lol dude I'm not 13, I'm fully aware of Chernobyl. It's a real event, yes but it's not as it's being depicted in this show. The "we have to do it for the people" and "we can't look bad we need to cover this up" bs is just, retarded.

Again, imagine if North Koreans making a movie about what life is like in NYC. You'd watch it disbelief.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 12:05 AM   #33
Dagamus_NM
Dirka Dirka
Rep
Drives: 14 Dinan 550i, 10 m3, 91 332iC

Very entertaining docudrama. A bit heavy on the drama side, but the technical stuff is close enough. Well, the part of a the reactors being the equivalent of a 4MT bomb might have been a bit (a lot) exaggerated, the rest seems alright so far. Ok, the helicopter part was off.

Anyhow, the coloration and general feel of the imagery is accurate.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 12:32 AM   #34
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
but it's not as it's being depicted in this show.
Fill us in then.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 07:33 AM   #35
MADBMWX5MC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Same here ^
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 07:58 AM   #36
adc100
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Forester XT

I spent my life in Nuclear Power (TMI). The best book on the Chernoble accident is "Ablaze". Its an amazing book.

But as mentioned Fukishima is orders of magnitude worse. Amazing how Japan is coping with it.

Nuclear power is dead around the world except for China and Russia. Kudos to them
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 08:56 AM   #37
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Lol dude I'm not 13, I'm fully aware of Chernobyl. It's a real event, yes but it's not as it's being depicted in this show. The "we have to do it for the people" and "we can't look bad we need to cover this up" bs is just, retarded.

Again, imagine if North Koreans making a movie about what life is like in NYC. You'd watch it disbelief.
Please, do tell how the events at Chernobyl really did unfold.

All you’ve offered is that this show is illustrative of typical American anti-Soviet propaganda, and draw a parallel of North Korea doing a movie about life in NYC which is neither compelling or persuasive proof in support of your position.

If you have any evidence to the contrary, do share; otherwise, those of us who enjoy the show will continue to do so and ignore your musings.
Appreciate 2
zx10guy5137.00
N54Yankee2706.00
      05-18-2019, 09:41 AM   #38
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Gf and I watched first 1 1/2 episodes. Awesome. Didn't think she would like it
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 11:40 AM   #39
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Finished off the 2nd episode last night. Wow. SO GOOD. That last scene when the flashlights start to fail gave me goosebumps. Cant wait for episode 3!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 12:07 PM   #40
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

I’ve enjoyed the show thus far after giving it a second watch. It would add to the authenticity if they were speaking Ukrainian and/or Russian with English subtitles. Not bashing the show, I just think the native language would elevate the viewing experience to another level and “take the audience to that time and place.”
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2019, 01:14 PM   #41
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Please, do tell how the events at Chernobyl really did unfold.

All you’ve offered is that this show is illustrative of typical American anti-Soviet propaganda, and draw a parallel of North Korea doing a movie about life in NYC which is neither compelling or persuasive proof in support of your position.

If you have any evidence to the contrary, do share; otherwise, those of us who enjoy the show will continue to do so and ignore your musings.
It's in the subtleties, that's how propaganda works in 2019, this isn't the 80s.

One example is how the producer is trying his hardest to depict the Soviets as inhuman and trying to cover up the whole event as to not look bad in the world sphere. Pathetic propaganda.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 01:17 PM   #42
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Quote:

The hugely radio active cloud was over the North Sea and not a peep out of the boys in the kremlin. They didn’t give a shit who died to protect the secret. That’s the Russian govt M.O.
If it wasn’t for free Europe picking it up the Soviets never would have said a word as people died around the planet. Remnants of Stalins paranoid secret society has been outed by Russians who abandoned life behind the Iron Curtain and many of them were scientists and workers at the plant and had consciences and spilled the truth. Besides, US intel knows more about what went on there then you’ll ever know about it.
You should educate yourself and read one of the many books written by Russians
who were there or interviewed thousands of those who were there. A good one to start with is “The Truth about Chernobyl” penned by a Soviet Ch-Eng at the plant. Find you’ll learn more about it then you would even like to hear and I base that on your very defensive post, no propaganda, the truth hurts sometimes.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams

Last edited by N54Yankee; 05-19-2019 at 06:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 01:18 PM   #43
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeFelicia View Post
Fill us in then.
Propaganda showing the Soviets would rather sacrifice lives if they could cover it up. This is bullsheet 101 right here. The fact is they didn't actually know how bad this was and were scrambling for experts to arrive onsite ASAP.

Plenty of dumb commentary about how the Soviet official didn't want the scientists to issue an evacuation order.

Layers and layers of propaganda.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 01:21 PM   #44
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
The hugely radio active cloud was over the North Sea and not a peep out of the boys in the kremlin. They didn’t give a shit who died to protect the secret. That’s the Russian govt M.O.
If it wasn’t for free Europe picking it up the Soviets never would have said a word as people died around the planet. Remnants of Stalins paranoid secret society has been outed by Russians who abandoned life behind the Iron Curtain and many of them were scientists and workers at the plant and had consciences and spilled the truth. Besides, US intel knows more about what went on there then you’ll ever know about it.

You should educate yourself and read one of the many books written by Russians
who were there or interviewed thousands of those who were there. A good one to start with is “The Truth about Chernobyl” penned by a Soviet Ch-Eng at the plant. Find you’ll learn more about it then you would even like to hear and I base that on your very defensive post, no propaganda, the truth hurts sometimes.[/QUOTE]

Well if someone wrote a book to immigrate to the US or U.K. wasn't proof that this isn't propaganda then I don't know what is!

If this was created by Ukrainians or with the help of those that are still alive to tell the tale I could be a bit more sympathetic but it's not, it's meant to drum up drama and stereotypes.

Imagine if a US author wrote a book about how the moon landing was fake and then Russia did a movie on how the Americans faked the moon landing. You'd watch it and facepalm, but whatevs enjoy the fiction
Appreciate 0