BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Firearms

10-19-2016, 09:19 PM   #67
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxrick View Post
I'm a newbie...the 1911 looks sweet. Never fired any 1911. Trying to learn and get better ensconced in firearms.
And you call yourself American. For shame!

It's an interesting hobby, and an expensive one. If you haven't tried a 1911, don't. They're addictive. But try one after you shoot a number of other non 1911 frames so that you can appreciate and recognize the differences.

I can do fairly well with a Glock, but I don't like them typically. When my brother finally gets his Sig 1911 designed, I'll be trying that out and seeing how it compares to my Kimber Raptor. Shoot as many different guns as you can - what works for others won't necessarily work for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 09:21 PM   #68
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Yep good stuff carry my sfa 1911 quite a bit
I'd imagine that's a little heavy / bulky for carry? Unless you can open carry?
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      10-19-2016, 09:29 PM   #69
Thxrick
The Cool Guy/ You're drinking' Buddy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 e90, 2015 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
1911's are abundant. Virtually every manufacturer has their own 1911 version. Its more of a platform, one of the best to date. its all personal preference, but the most notable ones are manufactured by Sig, Colt and Kimber.

Shoot me a PM if you want bimmerpost's equivalent for weapons.

This is my 1911, aka my baby:

That gun looks scary....jeez I bet if you just show that, you're gonna make someone shit themselves! Is that a special order?
Appreciate 1
paliknight2186.50
      10-19-2016, 09:34 PM   #70
Rogue_fxdl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 / '11 325is/89 325is

Been in the LE/SWAT field for too many years and have observed projectiles of all different calibers with unpredictable results. Always vital, bullet placement such as center mass then follow thru with head shot is a standard training. Whomever moves the projectiles down range the quickest and accurately wins....training...muscle memory.
One of the most deadliest firearms encountered was a simple .22 nylon 66 semi auto with optics.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      10-19-2016, 09:39 PM   #71
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
That gun looks scary....jeez I bet if you just show that, you're gonna make someone shit themselves! Is that a special order?
Lol I think anyone would be afraid of just seeing a gun period. But I just got it off of Gunbroker for a grand. It shoots superbly. I highly recommend as a home defense weapon. Wouldnt be the first weapon Id recommend, but if you have a lot of play money, definitely.
      10-19-2016, 09:39 PM   #72
Golddots
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

I'd recommend one of the newer colt competition 1911's or Wiley clapp as a first 1911.
I'll agree that shooting a 1911 can become an expensive distraction. I try to shoot my carry pistol once a week but it is tempting to bring out a 1911 to plink with.

Btw if you like your guns, vote TP!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 09:45 PM   #73
Golddots
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Quote:
I'm a newbie...the 1911 looks sweet. Never fired any 1911. Trying to learn and get better ensconced in firearms.

I'd skip the 1911 as a first gun.

These days I'd recommend a vp9 or p2000 as a first gun depending on if you prefer a hammer. Most people buy more guns than ammo and collect more than shoot.
Stick to one gun, buy two of the same and shoot the snot out of it.
One to carry, one to practice with. Buy a ton of ammo before election day.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 09:47 PM   #74
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Fired both guns today....approx. 250 rounds through both. Man, I can't hit anything with the Glock. I pick up the Sig and boom...it's spot on. I DK if it's me or the gun but the Sig is just awesome.
Thats how things go. My groups are twice as big with a full-size glock compared to a compact glock frame. My 1911s make 2" groups where as my IMI Baby Eagle leaves me with 6" groups at the same distance. My wife makes 5" groups with the Baby Eagle and can't hit the target with the 1911s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Got a Sig 1911 and the thing is amazing. Ive been eyeing the FNX45 Tac but Ive read too many mixed reviews. What's your experience with it? Reliability and accuracy.
My Sig 1911 had a lot of issues with it when i first got it. Even after breaking it in i was having failure to feed problems with every magazine and the slide would fail to lock when empty. I called Sig on a Thursday. 20 min later i got an air bill via email. Shipped it out to them on Friday. The following thursday i received it back. They polished the feed ramp, replaced the slide locking pin and gave me two new magazines. Since then, it's been pretty reliable. I still get the occasional FTF, but i think i'm learning that the Sig 1911s need to be run fairly wet with lube.

The FNX45 on the other hand has been fantastic from day one. Not a single issue, it's accurate, i can shoot it fast and accurately, it's fun to shoot, comes ready for a suppressor and the Tactical version has a VERY nice trigger. It's got almost no creep, very little take up and breaks at or under 4 pounds. It's probably my favorite pistol to shoot these days.

I actually went to the range with the intentions of buying another .45 and i was sure it was going to be a Sig. I rented all the Sig 45 variants as well as H&K, Springfield and S&W. I must have shot 8 different pistols and nothing really spoke to me. The range officer asked if i wanted to shoot the FNX45 and i had written it off due to the dual stack mag. I figured it was too large of a grip. I reluctantly agreed to shoot it. Within 5 rounds i knew i was going to buy it. But they didn't have any for sale. I tried to buy the range rental, but no dice. Turns out there was a gunshow in town and one of the vendors there had one and i snatched it up. Comes with a nice case, 3 mags, and handle panels for adjusting it's size.
      10-19-2016, 09:55 PM   #75
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
I'd imagine it's a little heavy / bulky for carry? Unless you can open carry?
No open carry use milt sparks versa max iwb. Slim body isn't bad at all. Also carry cz75 and browning mk2. I adjust my attire to the gun not buy some tiny piece of shit I can't shoot.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 10:01 PM   #76
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'd imagine that's a little heavy / bulky for carry? Unless you can open carry?
I used to want to carry a compact variant of a 1911. But after reading a few articles and seeing guys in active shooting classes, the pros vs cons weigh out toward polymer frame, higher mag capacity pistols. All the guys with glocks for M&Ps were almost always faster and more accurate than guys with 1911 variants. When you can carry double the rounds in a lighter more concealable package, it just makes sense. I mean people carry different pistols for different reasons, but for everyday carry, it's hard to displace a high capacity 9mm in a small package.

I mean don't get me wrong, when i go pig hunting, i carry my FNX45. Which is what i mean when i said people carry different pistols for different reasons.
      10-19-2016, 10:09 PM   #77
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Happiness is a belt fed machine gun and lots of linked ammo

All I want for Christmas is an MG-42
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      10-19-2016, 10:26 PM   #78
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
I used to want to carry a compact variant of a 1911. But after reading a few articles and seeing guys in active shooting classes, the pros vs cons weigh out toward polymer frame, higher mag capacity pistols. All the guys with glocks for M&Ps were almost always faster and more accurate than guys with 1911 variants. When you can carry double the rounds in a lighter more concealable package, it just makes sense. I mean people carry different pistols for different reasons, but for everyday carry, it's hard to displace a high capacity 9mm in a small package.

I mean don't get me wrong, when i go pig hunting, i carry my FNX45. Which is what i mean when i said people carry different pistols for different reasons.
I've done all of the above and dont care for the beavertail and issues with clothing that can ensue

There's a time, place and weather IMHO for everything from a 3" bobbed 1911 variant to a full size 5" semi auto

The 3" single stack 1911 can be concealed under a button down shirt thats tucked in with the right holster

Usually the go to is full size double stack semi auto

Everything is always 45......there can be only one.......

Fuck...up here in the winter you could conceal a Saiga 12 with a folding stock and no one would ever be any wiser
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      10-20-2016, 12:28 AM   #79
Ross61
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 GTO (soon to be an M4)

Here, here ladies and germs.

Been stocking up in the event the next president thinks a "right" isn't really a right and refuses to admit 2A was put in place so citizens of this nation can defend themselves from tyrannical and corrupt goobermint.

but I digress.

Loaded up about 300 rds each of 9mm and .45 ACP. Tomorrow and friday it'll be 500 - 750 rds of .223 followed by a day of shooting with the wife.

And soon the deer season opens and heaven returns.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 12:48 AM   #80
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep

Had a range day with some friends this past Sunday. Went to zero the optic on my AR and I got a chance to shoot my friends .338 Lapua and 7.62. Needless to say, I need to get me a bolt action.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 07:54 AM   #81
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck fat View Post
Had a range day with some friends this past Sunday. Went to zero the optic on my AR and I got a chance to shoot my friends .338 Lapua and 7.62. Needless to say, I need to get me a bolt action.
Bolt actions are great. Something simple but precise about them. I've never shot a .338 - what was that like? How's the recoil?

I don't think I could ever get a .338 as much as I suspect I'd like one...the ammo is just too pricey. I'd have to get into reloading.

How many people reload on here I wonder?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 08:24 AM   #82
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Quote:
Bolt actions are great. Something simple but precise about them. I've never shot a .338 - what was that like? How's the recoil?

I don't think I could ever get a .338 as much as I suspect I'd like one...the ammo is just too pricey. I'd have to get into reloading.

.338 to me is no much worse than .300win mag. My buddy won a custom .338 in a raffle like 10 years ago. Was worth like 8K (came with a NF optic and AAC can). Shot the box of ammo that they threw in and hasnt fired it since lol. It's a safe queen but god damn it's probably the nices rifle I've ever shot. I'm not a decent shot anywhere beyond 300-400yrds but this thing is capable of 1000+

IMO, you'd absolutely have to reload for these. Even buying the "cheap" .338 is break the bank expensive.

I reloaded .45 for a brief time and it's much easier than what you think. Get a basic RCBS rock chucker supreme kit, nice pair of calipers and the latest loading data then you're good. Also get a good bullet puller die, those kinetic bullet puller hamers are sketchy af. IMO setting up the dies for me was the hardest part and that's where the bullet puller came in handy. It was a lot of trial and error for me. If you go the RCBS route and want to load multiple calipers, the press can be modified to use a Hornady Lock N' Load kit which will save you so much time when it comes to setting your dies.

It's expensive to get started and you'd have to reload in bulk to break even but once you do it's great. Some people find it therapeutic to sit there and crank out rounds but a single stage press will take some time. I wasnt able to break even but I learned a lot. I believe the break even point for me on .45 was 2500 rounds. I bought my press brand new but a lot of the stuff I got used off a local forum.

You can typically find used brass on the low on local gun forums or from your local range to cut the price down. The problem with that is most ranges will sell it by weight and it'll come in tons of different calibers. Sort that shit sucks. Also, I was told to have your doctor run blood work to check your lead levels every 6 months if you're bulk loading.

If you want to go straight crazy right out of the gate, get a Dillon 550 progressive. It'll take longer to setup and get dialed in but you'll cut your time loading bullets in half if not more. The break even point on this would be significantly higher though.

I'd also never load a precision round such as a .338 on a progressive press.

Give it a try but know that it's a commitment
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 08:35 AM   #83
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep

Quote:

The 338 was a rush. It definitely kicks but even for a novice like me, it was stil manageable.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 08:46 AM   #84
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Find a buddy who reloads. Keep him flush with brass and buy your own bullets. Always have ammo.
      10-20-2016, 08:54 AM   #85
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Ok who's going to be the first old-timer to post a gun pic? The n00bs don't know any better.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      10-20-2016, 09:22 AM   #86
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Ok who's going to be the first old-timer to post a gun pic? The n00bs don't know any better.
Let sleeping dogs lie.
      10-20-2016, 09:56 AM   #87
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc
Seeing a gun might give me PTSD. The recoil of the M4 gave me unbearable bruises that cannot be healed.. I have nightmares from this tragic event..
      10-20-2016, 10:28 AM   #88
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Thats how things go. My groups are twice as big with a full-size glock compared to a compact glock frame. My 1911s make 2" groups where as my IMI Baby Eagle leaves me with 6" groups at the same distance. My wife makes 5" groups with the Baby Eagle and can't hit the target with the 1911s.

My Sig 1911 had a lot of issues with it when i first got it. Even after breaking it in i was having failure to feed problems with every magazine and the slide would fail to lock when empty. I called Sig on a Thursday. 20 min later i got an air bill via email. Shipped it out to them on Friday. The following thursday i received it back. They polished the feed ramp, replaced the slide locking pin and gave me two new magazines. Since then, it's been pretty reliable. I still get the occasional FTF, but i think i'm learning that the Sig 1911s need to be run fairly wet with lube.

The FNX45 on the other hand has been fantastic from day one. Not a single issue, it's accurate, i can shoot it fast and accurately, it's fun to shoot, comes ready for a suppressor and the Tactical version has a VERY nice trigger. It's got almost no creep, very little take up and breaks at or under 4 pounds. It's probably my favorite pistol to shoot these days.

I actually went to the range with the intentions of buying another .45 and i was sure it was going to be a Sig. I rented all the Sig 45 variants as well as H&K, Springfield and S&W. I must have shot 8 different pistols and nothing really spoke to me. The range officer asked if i wanted to shoot the FNX45 and i had written it off due to the dual stack mag. I figured it was too large of a grip. I reluctantly agreed to shoot it. Within 5 rounds i knew i was going to buy it. But they didn't have any for sale. I tried to buy the range rental, but no dice. Turns out there was a gunshow in town and one of the vendors there had one and i snatched it up. Comes with a nice case, 3 mags, and handle panels for adjusting it's size.
That's strange. My Sig (pictured above) has been flawless. Perhaps it was your specific gun. Glad to hear though they take care of their customers. Sounds like S&W customer service with my .40 shield when the striker broke.

Man I've been so tempted to get the FDE version to go with my FDE SCAR17 but I can't find a good deal yet. Most are asking over 1100 for it before taxes lol.
Appreciate 0