BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Whiskey/Scotch Thread

03-05-2021, 11:02 AM   #859
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Good News of the Day:

The US will suspend tariffs on Scotch whisky... for four months! (it is caught in the Boeing/Airbus dispute.)

Murf

Last edited by Littlebear; 03-05-2021 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 5
BMW F223540.00
jmack548.50
Maynard3804.50
Hawkeye2069.50
      03-07-2021, 11:27 AM   #860
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

https://driving.ca/aston-martin/auto...10838982971393

LCBO selling $85,000 Scotch whisky in a real 1964 Aston Martin DB5 piston
The bottle of Black Bowmore DB5 1964 is one of just 25 for sale worldwide
by CHRISTOPHER NARDI | JANUARY 22, 2021

Black Bowmore DB5 1964 is one of 25 bourbons, Scotch and American whiskies being sold as part of the LCBO’s latest allocation lottery beginning Thursday morning. Nick Wons / Beam Suntory

Do you love rich Scotch whisky with “intense” flavours of mango and smoke? Do you view James Bond’s famous 1964 Aston Martin DB5 to be more art than vehicle? Do you have $85,000 lying around?

If so, then you may be interested in the LCBO’s latest acquisition going up for sale in the next weeks: one of the world’s 25 bottles (27 if you count the two bottles locked away in the Bowmore Distillery’s vaults) of Black Bowmore DB5 1964.

The 31-year old Scotch whisky is one of 25 bourbons, Scotch and American whiskies being sold as part of the LCBO’s latest allocation lottery beginning Thursday morning.

The price: an eye-popping $85,000 (plus a $0.20 deposit on the bottle), making it one of the most expensive whisky bottles ever sold by the LCBO.

For that price, the buyer is receiving a bottle of renown and ultra-rare “Black Bowmore,” the name of the first batch of Bowmore’s whiskies distilled in November of 1964 — when the distillery “entered the modern age” by changing its boiler system from coal to steam — and then aged in casks that had previously contained sherry wine.

This particular edition was poured out of its cask in 1995, making it a 31-year-old whisky, and then stored in “neutral containers” which won’t affect the flavour of the liquid until it is put up for sale. It is bottled at 49.6 per cent alcohol per volume, or ABV (by law, a Scotch whisky must be bottled at minimum 40 per cent ABV). In comparison, an unfortified wine is generally around 12 per cent ABV.

But beyond the rareness of the whisky, what makes the product truly special is the packaging, said James Neil, whose business card bears the impressive title of world whisky ambassador in Canada for Beam Suntory.

(His employer is a whisky behemoth that owns a plethora of brands around the world including Bowmore and Canada’s Alberta Premium and Canadian Club.)

The whisky comes in a handcrafted glass bottle that is fitted into a genuine Aston Martin DB5 piston in homage to the car that became a pop culture icon with the release of legendary James Bond movie “Goldfinger” in … 1964.

“The bottle is way heavier than expected, it’s unimaginable. It was a very nerve-wracking photo shoot when I had to hold the bottle,” Neil said with a laugh, referring to promotional pictures taken by the distillery.

“A lot of the casing for the bottle is actually handcrafted in Italy. And when you open it up, the bottle sits in a padded banquette that mirrors the Aston Martin upholstery in the backseat of the car. You are buying the Aston Martin of Scotch whisky when you pick up a bottle of Bowmore DB5,” he said.

But if you’re one of the millions of Ontarians who will likely never own, taste or even see this extremely rare bottle, you may still be wondering how the Black Bowmore DB5 looks, smells and tastes.

According to tasting notes provided by the distillery, the whisky has a “deep obsidian black” colour.

YOU ARE BUYING THE ASTON MARTIN OF SCOTCH WHISKY WHEN YOU PICK UP A BOTTLE OF BOWMORE DB5

On the nose, the eventual deep-pocketed LCBO client can expect “layers of ripe exotic fruits and crème caramel” which eventually evolve into “soft tobacco smoke, aromatic orange peel and rich black cherry”, the distillery says.

Once the liquid hits the tongue and palate, “intense flavours of mango, passion fruit and acacia honey interwoven with a powerful combination of coffee and tobacco smoke” should entice the drinker, the official tasting notes conclude.

Other than the Black Bowmore, the LCBO’s allocation lottery includes many other rare and sought-after whiskies such as Buffalo Trace Distillery’s George T. Stagg, William Larue Weller or famed Pappy Van Winkle line of bourbons, as well as four Scotch whiskies from Islay distillery Ardbeg.

But none of those whiskies compare either in age, in scarcity or in price to the Bowmore (though neither of those three things are indicative of a whisky’s value or quality, this reporter must note).

Will the eventual buyer likely ever even drink the pricey liquid? Ideally, but unlikely, Neil admitted with a laugh.

But the fact that that Beam Suntory allocated not just one but two of the 25 bottles to Canada (the other was sold in British Columbia late last year) is remarkable as well, the company ambassador noted.

He thinks its testament to the “incredible” growth of Canadians’ interest in whisky in recent years that has made the country a “top priority” for major brands such as his.

“I remember last year going home and thinking, ‘It’d be nice to get one bottle in Canada but oof’. And then we received two,” Neil said. “As a country that is appreciating these single malt whiskies, the collectors are definitely here. We are seeing double-digit growth and market share for the Bowmore brand here.”

The LCBO declined a request for an interview, but noted in a statement that it was extremely fortunate to have been allocated one of the extremely few bottles ever produced.

“We are grateful to have been allocated one of the 25 bottles of Bowmore 1964 31-year old single malt scotch whisky available in the world, which we are sure will also be appreciated by the LCBO customer who chooses to collect this rare product,” Abhay Garg, vice president, merchandising, at the LCBO said in an emailed statement.
Attached Images

Last edited by Murf993; 03-07-2021 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2021, 11:57 AM   #861
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
https://driving.ca/aston-martin/auto...10838982971393

LCBO selling $85,000 Scotch whisky in a real 1964 Aston Martin DB5 piston
The bottle of Black Bowmore DB5 1964 is one of just 25 for sale worldwide
by CHRISTOPHER NARDI | JANUARY 22, 2021

Black Bowmore DB5 1964 is one of 25 bourbons, Scotch and American whiskies being sold as part of the LCBO’s latest allocation lottery beginning Thursday morning. Nick Wons / Beam Suntory

Do you love rich Scotch whisky with “intense” flavours of mango and smoke? Do you view James Bond’s famous 1964 Aston Martin DB5 to be more art than vehicle? Do you have $85,000 lying around?

If so, then you may be interested in the LCBO’s latest acquisition going up for sale in the next weeks: one of the world’s 25 bottles (27 if you count the two bottles locked away in the Bowmore Distillery’s vaults) of Black Bowmore DB5 1964.

The 31-year old Scotch whisky is one of 25 bourbons, Scotch and American whiskies being sold as part of the LCBO’s latest allocation lottery beginning Thursday morning.

The price: an eye-popping $85,000 (plus a $0.20 deposit on the bottle), making it one of the most expensive whisky bottles ever sold by the LCBO.

For that price, the buyer is receiving a bottle of renown and ultra-rare “Black Bowmore,” the name of the first batch of Bowmore’s whiskies distilled in November of 1964 — when the distillery “entered the modern age” by changing its boiler system from coal to steam — and then aged in casks that had previously contained sherry wine.

This particular edition was poured out of its cask in 1995, making it a 31-year-old whisky, and then stored in “neutral containers” which won’t affect the flavour of the liquid until it is put up for sale. It is bottled at 49.6 per cent alcohol per volume, or ABV (by law, a Scotch whisky must be bottled at minimum 40 per cent ABV). In comparison, an unfortified wine is generally around 12 per cent ABV.

But beyond the rareness of the whisky, what makes the product truly special is the packaging, said James Neil, whose business card bears the impressive title of world whisky ambassador in Canada for Beam Suntory.

(His employer is a whisky behemoth that owns a plethora of brands around the world including Bowmore and Canada’s Alberta Premium and Canadian Club.)

The whisky comes in a handcrafted glass bottle that is fitted into a genuine Aston Martin DB5 piston in homage to the car that became a pop culture icon with the release of legendary James Bond movie “Goldfinger” in … 1964.

“The bottle is way heavier than expected, it’s unimaginable. It was a very nerve-wracking photo shoot when I had to hold the bottle,” Neil said with a laugh, referring to promotional pictures taken by the distillery.

“A lot of the casing for the bottle is actually handcrafted in Italy. And when you open it up, the bottle sits in a padded banquette that mirrors the Aston Martin upholstery in the backseat of the car. You are buying the Aston Martin of Scotch whisky when you pick up a bottle of Bowmore DB5,” he said.

But if you’re one of the millions of Ontarians who will likely never own, taste or even see this extremely rare bottle, you may still be wondering how the Black Bowmore DB5 looks, smells and tastes.

According to tasting notes provided by the distillery, the whisky has a “deep obsidian black” colour.

YOU ARE BUYING THE ASTON MARTIN OF SCOTCH WHISKY WHEN YOU PICK UP A BOTTLE OF BOWMORE DB5

On the nose, the eventual deep-pocketed LCBO client can expect “layers of ripe exotic fruits and crème caramel” which eventually evolve into “soft tobacco smoke, aromatic orange peel and rich black cherry”, the distillery says.

Once the liquid hits the tongue and palate, “intense flavours of mango, passion fruit and acacia honey interwoven with a powerful combination of coffee and tobacco smoke” should entice the drinker, the official tasting notes conclude.

Other than the Black Bowmore, the LCBO’s allocation lottery includes many other rare and sought-after whiskies such as Buffalo Trace Distillery’s George T. Stagg, William Larue Weller or famed Pappy Van Winkle line of bourbons, as well as four Scotch whiskies from Islay distillery Ardbeg.

But none of those whiskies compare either in age, in scarcity or in price to the Bowmore (though neither of those three things are indicative of a whisky’s value or quality, this reporter must note).

Will the eventual buyer likely ever even drink the pricey liquid? Ideally, but unlikely, Neil admitted with a laugh.

But the fact that that Beam Suntory allocated not just one but two of the 25 bottles to Canada (the other was sold in British Columbia late last year) is remarkable as well, the company ambassador noted.

He thinks its testament to the “incredible” growth of Canadians’ interest in whisky in recent years that has made the country a “top priority” for major brands such as his.

“I remember last year going home and thinking, ‘It’d be nice to get one bottle in Canada but oof’. And then we received two,” Neil said. “As a country that is appreciating these single malt whiskies, the collectors are definitely here. We are seeing double-digit growth and market share for the Bowmore brand here.”

The LCBO declined a request for an interview, but noted in a statement that it was extremely fortunate to have been allocated one of the extremely few bottles ever produced.

“We are grateful to have been allocated one of the 25 bottles of Bowmore 1964 31-year old single malt scotch whisky available in the world, which we are sure will also be appreciated by the LCBO customer who chooses to collect this rare product,” Abhay Garg, vice president, merchandising, at the LCBO said in an emailed statement.
Hate that I can admit this, but if I were wealthy enough, I wouldn’t think twice about this
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      03-07-2021, 05:03 PM   #862
evil-G-nius
Broke A$$ Super Hero
United_States
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G37 S Coupe

Pfft... $85 grand! Chump change. There is a 50yr Yamazaki for sale for $510k

Appreciate 3
Murf99314114.00
Hawkeye2069.50
      03-08-2021, 09:11 AM   #863
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Maybe I should have waited to buy the last few I got if prices will come down (I doubt they will much)
Attached Images

2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 08:39 PM   #864
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Maybe I should have waited to buy the last few I got if prices will come down (I doubt they will much)
Was just discussing that with a friend. I hadn't noticed much of an increase to begin with.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 08:58 AM   #865
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Was just discussing that with a friend. I hadn't noticed much of an increase to begin with.
I noticed a large increase on some staple scotches, around 20-30%. Bourbon has just been creeping up $5-10 a year it seems which sucks.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2021, 09:21 AM   #866
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
I noticed a large increase on some staple scotches, around 20-30%. Bourbon has just been creeping up $5-10 a year it seems which sucks.
Or 50% of the MSRP if you're McKenna 10yr and win a gold medal.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 09:55 AM   #867
6oclockshadow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

I'm Irish, so I have a case of Middleton Very Rare (2019) socked away for armagedon.
But Redbreast 12 is my daily.
Appreciate 1
em4ef82102.50
      03-12-2021, 11:58 AM   #868
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oclockshadow View Post
I'm Irish, so I have a case of Middleton Very Rare (2019) socked away for armagedon.
But Redbreast 12 is my daily.
Every single review I see about Middleton Very Rare is that it is completely lackluster. I have yet to try it myself as I cannot spend that kind of money on something that often gets poor reviews.

How do you think it compares to similar Irish?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 01:32 PM   #869
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Jameson on sale this weekend at the superstore in Champaign for $16.99. That's about 50% off of what I usually have to pay locally.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 02:05 PM   #870
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I believe there was a tariff that was put on scotch a year ago or so. If I recall, the current administration just removed it, so we should see prices go back down shortly.
      03-12-2021, 02:06 PM   #871
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Yup. Here it is:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/04/b...suspended.html
      03-12-2021, 04:42 PM   #872
6oclockshadow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Every single review I see about Middleton Very Rare is that it is completely lackluster. I have yet to try it myself as I cannot spend that kind of money on something that often gets poor reviews.

How do you think it compares to similar Irish?
I like it. But It depends on the year. The 2019 release is very good IMO. I was given a case of that. I have a bottle of the 2020 I bought, and would not buy again if available. Its good, but not quite as good as the 2019.

As far as compared to other IRISH? (Are there any other? lol) It has a crisp apple, pear nose, and it is VERY smooth, light, and easy on the tongue, with a sweet finish -like all the Irish!

But honestly, I don't think you can beat Redbreast 12 for a daily snog.
That is my professional Irishman's opinion.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 04:50 PM   #873
6oclockshadow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

And that Proper 12 from Conor McGregor isn't all that bad, either. But you hipsters wouldn't be drinkin that working man's whiskey, would ya?
Appreciate 1
M_Six16536.50
      03-12-2021, 05:30 PM   #874
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

I like P12. And it's often considerably cheaper than Jameson.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 06:32 PM   #875
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
And that Proper 12 from Conor McGregor isn't all that bad, either. But you hipsters wouldn't be drinkin that working man's whiskey, would ya?
No. No we wouldn't.

Honestly though I tried it because I'm happy to try most things at least once. It was OK but nothing that interesting either and I felt it was just hyped up a little cause it had McGregor name on it. It wasn't terrible either though, I just have different preferences. Mostly leaning towards the peatier side of the scale lately
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 08:41 PM   #876
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Jameson on sale this weekend at the superstore in Champaign for $16.99. That's about 50% off of what I usually have to pay locally.
I saw this sale price at BevMo a few days ago and I picked up a bottle.

I have not had Jameson since I was in college and don't even remember how it was. Totally regret the purchase. $17 down the drain, it is absolute shit. Do people actually enjoy drinking this?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 09:12 PM   #877
6oclockshadow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post

I have not had Jameson since I was in college and don't even remember how it was. Totally regret the purchase. $17 down the drain, it is absolute shit. Do people actually enjoy drinking this?
Try Jaimies' Black Barrel or Cask Mates.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 09:21 PM   #878
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post

Try Jaimies' Black Barrel or Cask Mates.
Felt like throwing up after taking a sip of whatever cheap shit I got. The horrid flavor lingers around on the palette too forever... Is the taste similar or any better and what's the cost?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 11:02 PM   #879
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Black Barrel is smokier. The Cask Mates are aged in beer barrels. Either IPA or Stout.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 11:27 PM   #880
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Black Barrel is smokier. The Cask Mates are aged in beer barrels. Either IPA or Stout.
Yea. Think I'll pass on both.
Appreciate 0