BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Mitsu EVO X brochure leaked...is it a Mazda 3 or what?

08-27-2007, 02:29 PM   #23
phantom330
Captain
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

Bottom line, if you're just looking for speed, get the Evo, hands down. With that being said, in the business world you look pretty ridiculous pulling into an office in a car that looks like your 16 year old son's, performance or not.

Weekend track car however, Evo all the way.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 02:46 PM   #24
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom330 View Post
Bottom line, if you're just looking for speed, get the Evo, hands down. With that being said, in the business world you look pretty ridiculous pulling into an office in a car that looks like your 16 year old son's, performance or not.

Weekend track car however, Evo all the way.
Or Sti
      08-27-2007, 02:51 PM   #25
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3This View Post
The Reg Vett isnt really compareable to the Evo ....I see them at the track all the time and they are not that competitive.... the Z06 is a super car no doubts but your in 70K+ price range .... The evo you can get into for as little as $26K (Evo RS) .... for the price of that Z06 I could have two evos in their track suits
driver skill plays a part as well, it's actually a bigger part than what kind of car you have

a stock vette (non Z06) should be comparable to a bit faster than a EVO given equal drivers.

I've seen a standard mini cooper pass a 911 turbo on a track, that doesn't mean a 911 turbo is slower than a mini.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 07:03 PM   #26
GraphiteBrawler
Elton John Impersonator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 LCI M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
Or Sti
Never. Evo is WAY cheaper to mod then an STI, and has much more power options.
      08-29-2007, 07:11 PM   #27
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
driver skill plays a part as well, it's actually a bigger part than what kind of car you have

a stock vette (non Z06) should be comparable to a bit faster than a EVO given equal drivers.

I've seen a standard mini cooper pass a 911 turbo on a track, that doesn't mean a 911 turbo is slower than a mini.
QFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphiteBrawler View Post
Never. Evo is WAY cheaper to mod then an STI, and has much more power options.
depends what you're looking into. the new STIs are going to have a buttload of comestic mods now that it's dirt ugly! i wouldn't say this new evo looks that great either. it's a neon on japanese synthetic roids. still it's going to be one hell of a car to drive and the interior is far improved from ones from the past so I'll be waiting to see how fast this bad boy is on the track!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 10:25 PM   #28
FinInk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 Celica, Wanting 335i

I've actually seen lots of the new lancer's up close in the past couple of months. All red too. I have to say, the regular lancer looks ALOT better in person although once you look at the back it's still ugly. I say the best angle of the car is the side. I can only imagine how much more aggressive the EVO will look compared to is lancer counterpart.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 10:48 PM   #29
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: still deciding what to order

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
Dude, I really think you're on the wrong Forum; either that, or you're just nuts (and/or you're 18 years old)!

Yes, the EVO is built for performance (and it does perform very well), but face it...it's nothing more than a fast Mitsu POS. Call me a snob; I don't care, but most would agree that a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution and the BMW 335i are not in the same car class and not technically competitors per say. The BMW is a higher quality, higher luxury car...yes, the 3-series is "entry-level" luxury, but still much higher quality than that tin can with 4 wheels you think is so great.

I think cars4lyfe hit the nail on the head...

The EVO is typically a kid's car, like a Ford Mustang GT or "riced up" Honda Accord or Civic; as you get older and you move up in the world, you probably won't want to be driving a Mitsubishi with a 2-ft. tall rear wing spoiler.

I could just as easily say the 335i is a car for old women. After all the 3 series is typically driven by snobs who have no idea how cars work and just want a luxurious car to golf in. 90% are girly automatics. The Evo doesn't even come in automatic. If you are picking the car that is the driving enthusiast's car there is no debate to be had here. If you are worried about a cushy ride or looking sexy at the grocery store or not having to get out and change a tire the 335i is your car. BMW markets it to old people who have money and want a nice car. The Evo is pure function. Practically everything on it (including the wing) is functional and race proven. I have been behind the wheel of both many time. The evo is just a better car to drive if you enjoy driving. It feels better and performs better. If you are actually into performance driving "moving up in the real world" doesn't mean trading in a performance oriented car for a soft luxury boat. If you have more money, and want a better performance car you get a Cayman S or 911 or Lotus. The 335i isn't a sports car. That fact is probably what gives you the inferiority complex that makes you feel the need to call one of the best driver's cars ever made a POS.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 11:02 PM   #30
GraphiteBrawler
Elton John Impersonator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 LCI M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecC View Post
QFT

depends what you're looking into. the new STIs are going to have a buttload of comestic mods now that it's dirt ugly! i wouldn't say this new evo looks that great either. it's a neon on japanese synthetic roids. still it's going to be one hell of a car to drive and the interior is far improved from ones from the past so I'll be waiting to see how fast this bad boy is on the track!
I'd have to say the Evo is ugly too, I thought my old IX was really attractive, I know a lot of people think thier ugly, but I thought the IX SE I had vs the 335, it was a tossup on looks.

In terms of performance, Evo's will always trump STI's, because of Ease of modding, and available power. in terms of looks it'll probably always be a person to person thing.
      08-29-2007, 11:03 PM   #31
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by 010101 View Post
I could just as easily say the 335i is a car for old women. After all the 3 series is typically driven by snobs who have no idea how cars work and just want a luxurious car to golf in. 90% are girly automatics. The Evo doesn't even come in automatic. If you are picking the car that is the driving enthusiast's car there is no debate to be had here. If you are worried about a cushy ride or looking sexy at the grocery store or not having to get out and change a tire the 335i is your car. BMW markets it to old people who have money and want a nice car. The Evo is pure function. Practically everything on it (including the wing) is functional and race proven. I have been behind the wheel of both many time. The evo is just a better car to drive if you enjoy driving. It feels better and performs better. If you are actually into performance driving "moving up in the real world" doesn't mean trading in a performance oriented car for a soft luxury boat. If you have more money, and want a better performance car you get a Cayman S or 911 or Lotus. The 335i isn't a sports car. That fact is probably what gives you the inferiority complex that makes you feel the need to call one of the best driver's cars ever made a POS.
Please don't give us your "335i girly car" and automatics are for girls b.s. You ARE 17 years old, aren't you?

My brother has a Lotus Elise w/ Nitrous, but it's not his DD; it's only good as a weekend/track car. The BMW 335i (especially w/ PROcede) is a phenomenal DD and sports touring car...a PROcede 335i runs 0-60mph in 4.4 sec. and the 1/4 mi. in 12.6-13.0 sec. @ 106-110mph + it has ALL the luxuries you'd expect...look at my sig.

The fact that you're so defensive about this makes you look like you just cannot afford the BMW or you're just young. Seriously, how many executives, successful sales ppl, managers, engineers, attorneys, doctors, CPAs, etc. do you know that drive a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution? That's just ridiculous, and that was my point. I'm sorry...call me a snob, but I've driven many cars in my life and at this point in my career and my life, I'm NOT driving a friggin Mitsubishi that's as safe as a tin can with 4 wheels.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 11:13 PM   #32
FinInk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 Celica, Wanting 335i

go to evolutionm.net , a lot of these guys are also in there mid 30's and 40's owner other cars such as z06's, porches, M3's, etc. It's not about age, price, demographics, or a badge to some people. It's about the driving expereince of a raw performance car. Of course these people and all the magazine reviews could be wrong about the Evo's sheer performance pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 11:26 PM   #33
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinInk View Post
go to evolutionm.net , a lot of these guys are also in there mid 30's and 40's owner other cars such as z06's, porches, M3's, etc. It's not about age, price, demographics, or a badge to some people. It's about the driving expereince of a raw performance car. Of course these people and all the magazine reviews could be wrong about the Evo's sheer performance pleasure.
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. However, the ppl I know and the ppl I work with drive BMW, Porsche, MB, Ferrari, Maserati, Audi, Lexus, Infiniti, etc.; I think one of my neighbors drives a Mitsubishi; oh, but that's an Eclipse...sorry.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 11:37 PM   #34
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52

Evos are nice 2 but have way more
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 12:34 AM   #35
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Please don't give us your "335i girly car" and automatics are for girls b.s. You ARE 17 years old, aren't you?

My brother has a Lotus Elise w/ Nitrous, but it's not his DD; it's only good as a weekend/track car. The BMW 335i (especially w/ PROcede) is a phenomenal DD and sports touring car...a PROcede 335i runs 0-60mph in 4.4 sec. and the 1/4 mi. in 12.6-13.0 sec. @ 106-110mph + it has ALL the luxuries you'd expect...look at my sig.

The fact that you're so defensive about this makes you look like you just cannot afford the BMW or you're just young. Seriously, how many executives, successful sales ppl, managers, engineers, attorneys, doctors, CPAs, etc. do you know that drive a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution? That's just ridiculous, and that was my point. I'm sorry...call me a snob, but I've driven many cars in my life and at this point in my career and my life, I'm NOT driving a friggin Mitsubishi that's as safe as a tin can with 4 wheels.

As for my age, no I am not 17 or anywhere near it. I could also easily afford either car. Even if I were 17 it would make no difference to what we are talking about here. You are just reverting to the ad hominem which would seem to make you the childish one.

I was only "defensive" because you felt the need to start an entire thread attacking the best performance car for the money of all time. I think Mitsubishi should be commended for making such a great driver's car for so little money. BMW has never done this. They charge a premium for every M car. This is a niche car that few manufacturers have the courage to make. Call it a tin can all you want. It just makes you look like an idiot to anyone who knows anything about the car.

How many doctors do I know that drive an Evo? I couldn't think of a more irrelevant question. How many doctors drive $30,000 cars in the first place? The reason you think this car is juvenile is because young people car afford it. I'm sure a lot of 18 year olds would drive GT3s like doctors drive if they were only $30,000. If you'd stop being so concerned with your career, social status and the way cars make you look to other people you'd realize you are attacking a phenomenally good car. Just try to have a little less vanity. This is an automotive forum, not a fashion contest.

The 335i is a large, heavy luxury car built for a broad audience. It's brochure talks about seat belt levers, while the evo's talks about its 3 limited slip differentials. I bet you wish your car had just one of those LOL. The bimmer is a soft luxury car built for the masses. It has power, but that doesn't make it any more of a sports car than a Lexus or Cadillac. The Evo is a drivers car plain and simple. It was designed for performance driving with very few compromises. It is an entirely different class than the 335i. It would murder a 335i on the track. The heavy 335i would be sloppily spinning a back tire out of corners and the computer would be compensating for brake fade while the Evo lapped it.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 12:36 AM   #36
Lieutenant
Rep

Oh, and yes torque converter automatics are for girls. No real sports car has ever been equipped with one. Your heavy luxury boat is certainly no exception.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 06:09 AM   #37
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
As for my age, no I am not 17 or anywhere near it. I could also easily afford either car. Even if I were 17 it would make no difference to what we are talking about here. You are just reverting to the ad hominem which would seem to make you the childish one.

I was only "defensive" because you felt the need to start an entire thread attacking the best performance car for the money of all time. I think Mitsubishi should be commended for making such a great driver's car for so little money. BMW has never done this. They charge a premium for every M car. This is a niche car that few manufacturers have the courage to make. Call it a tin can all you want. It just makes you look like an idiot to anyone who knows anything about the car.

How many doctors do I know that drive an Evo? I couldn't think of a more irrelevant question. How many doctors drive $30,000 cars in the first place? The reason you think this car is juvenile is because young people car afford it. I'm sure a lot of 18 year olds would drive GT3s like doctors drive if they were only $30,000. If you'd stop being so concerned with your career, social status and the way cars make you look to other people you'd realize you are attacking a phenomenally good car. Just try to have a little less vanity. This is an automotive forum, not a fashion contest.

The 335i is a large, heavy luxury car built for a broad audience. It's brochure talks about seat belt levers, while the evo's talks about its 3 limited slip differentials. I bet you wish your car had just one of those LOL. The bimmer is a soft luxury car built for the masses. It has power, but that doesn't make it any more of a sports car than a Lexus or Cadillac. The Evo is a drivers car plain and simple. It was designed for performance driving with very few compromises. It is an entirely different class than the 335i. It would murder a 335i on the track. The heavy 335i would be sloppily spinning a back tire out of corners and the computer would be compensating for brake fade while the Evo lapped it.
If you could afford a BMW or another similar car, you'd probably be driving one and wouldn't be so defensive about the Evo. BMW's really shouldn't even be compared to a Mitsubishi; they're not in the same car class. As far as MY career goes, you need not worry; however, either you have NO career or cannot relate since you're much younger than I. It's quite apparent what kind of vehicle you currently drive (if you even have a license) and right now, I'm very perplexed as to why you spend so much time on this BMW Forum? We've seen this before...a forum troll who comes along just to pick a fight...you're the pathetic one. All of your angry ranting really leads me to believe you're full of sh!t and you really are 17 or even younger perhaps.

Last edited by sflgator; 08-30-2007 at 06:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 06:56 AM   #38
Das M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 ///M3

I love how it always turns into Evo vs. 335, or "I will see you at the track pussy," or some crap like that. Everyone buys are car for their OWN PERSONAL REASONS. I used to own an 07 STi Limited It was a great car, very raw and kick in the pants to drive (yet still had some plushness to it with the leather seats, sunroof, etc.) but I always felt like there was something else I wanted. I sold it and bought my 335i and I couldn't be more happy. I wanted something that I would keep for a very long time and enjoy. I just couldn't see myself in my STi years down the road, I also don't think my marriage would have lasted because my wife hated my STi. Each car is in a different category and are marketed to different people. Different strokes for different folks. It just cracks me up when people get so defensive and start bagging on cars. To the OP, I have to agree, not a big fan of the looks of the new EVO, that being said I'm sure it will be a beast on the track, I feel a bit sad knowing that out there to compete against it is a hatchback STi, it's a sad day.

Oh and
      08-30-2007, 10:10 AM   #39
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

+1 SFLGator to shut up

you know i was going to buy that car, but then a got 11 points on my license... so with that car being a cop aphrodisiac, I decided to save up for a 335 just to get rid of the unnecessary "look-at-me" styling. I love the design, just don't know if I would want to drive such a aggressive looking car EVERY day.

I hope you guys all respect the Evo, and realize that it is going after a different market segment. I love the technology, love the power they got out of a 4, love the DSG!

To make that car available for that little money. You know of a little publication called Car & Driver? They love the 3 (16 years 10 Best Entry Luxury Car), and the Evo (Quickest Car under 30k Winner)... I don't see many consumers choosing between the two... only us young guys deciding if it is time to make the leap to luxury, or stick with car modding for speed.

I must admit, before I get flamed, the interior however, leaves much to be desired... haha. I choose BMW, as did eveyone on this forum. But I will not smash a car, JUST because it is not a BMW. That is one of the reasons people hate people that drive BMWs...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 10:34 AM   #40
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
You are the reason that BMW owners have a bad rep.
As said by another E90Post.com troll who just loves to pick a fight. ;

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 11:47 AM   #41
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
As said by another E90Post.com troll who just loves to pick a fight. ;
Yes, everyone but you is a "troll." I don't come to pick a fight. You just say ridiculous things, so I respond to them. I like BMWs, but I also am not delusional about what a 335i is. Both times we've gotten into it other people have come along to agree with me, so I didn't even need to say anything. Have a nice day.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 12:14 PM   #42
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335viaSTi View Post
I love how it always turns into Evo vs. 335, or "I will see you at the track pussy," or some crap like that. Everyone buys are car for their OWN PERSONAL REASONS. I used to own an 07 STi Limited It was a great car, very raw and kick in the pants to drive (yet still had some plushness to it with the leather seats, sunroof, etc.) but I always felt like there was something else I wanted. I sold it and bought my 335i and I couldn't be more happy. I wanted something that I would keep for a very long time and enjoy. I just couldn't see myself in my STi years down the road, I also don't think my marriage would have lasted because my wife hated my STi. Each car is in a different category and are marketed to different people. Different strokes for different folks. It just cracks me up when people get so defensive and start bagging on cars. To the OP, I have to agree, not a big fan of the looks of the new EVO, that being said I'm sure it will be a beast on the track, I feel a bit sad knowing that out there to compete against it is a hatchback STi, it's a sad day.

Oh and
+1. I think you hit the nail on the head...never said the Evo wasn't a great track performer...just not my cup of tea for a DD. Thank you for your intelligent post.

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 12:18 PM   #43
Zeiss
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bicycle

Premium package in black looks great!
Anyone know if this will be coming to Canada?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 12:20 PM   #44
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yes, everyone but you is a "troll." I don't come to pick a fight. You just say ridiculous things, so I respond to them. I like BMWs, but I also am not delusional about what a 335i is. Both times we've gotten into it other people have come along to agree with me, so I didn't even need to say anything. Have a nice day.
No, not everyone is a troll; only those who join certain car enthusiast forums (although they don't drive that specific brand of car the forum is dedicated to) just for the sake of arguing with ppl in front of a computer...just to pass the time.

I drive a BMW; I do not drive a Mitsu Evo, an MB, an Audi, an SRT-8, an Infiniti, or any other type of vehicle, so therefore I have absolutely ZERO interest in trolling around other car enthusiast forums dedicated to those types of vehicles. When I drove my 2 Infiniti's (a loaded and modded '04 G35 Sedan and a loaded '03 FX35), I was an active member on G35Driver.com. Now, I drive a BMW 335i and I enjoy being an active member here on E90Post.com. Unlike some ppl, I have no desire to go onto other car forums to cause trouble.

Last edited by sflgator; 08-30-2007 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 0