BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > new Audi A4

08-29-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
ice13water
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

new Audi A4

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/s...-2008-audi-a4/

looks great
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Well, it's taking some serious cues from the A5-which is a good thing.
But this looks like a facelift of the current car rather than a whole different design...which is what it is.

This is what Audi shoud've done.....but didn't

My big complaint is that Audi's look has become so corporate and safe there's too much similarity from one model to the next.
A handsome car- even great looking but there's no excitement and ultimately it comes off as bland.

Another missed oppurtunity from DeSilva & Co.

With BMW it's emotional and smart and takes chances.
Audi design hasn't been the same since Peter Schreyer left and Walter deSilva took over.

So yeah, high marks - but its so predictable. Can you say that about any
upcoming BMW?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 03:29 PM   #3
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Looks like the current S4, but with led's in the headlights. Boring.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 04:11 PM   #4
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Yeah they all look the same now!! Ughh... BUT, I must say I LOVE those LED's upfront. I've seen them on a high end audi sedan a few months ago and there stunning. I'm up in the air whether I prefer them to the angel eyes. :/
      08-29-2007, 04:40 PM   #5
Victor.L3IchibanM3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i,'04 RX 330,'99Corolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
But this looks like a facelift of the current car rather than a whole different design...which is what it is.

This is what Audi shoud've done.....but didn't
My big complaint is that Audi's look has become so corporate and safe there's too much similarity from one model to the next.
A handsome car- even great looking but there's no excitement and ultimately it comes off as bland.

Another missed oppurtunity from DeSilva & Co.

With BMW it's emotional and smart and takes chances.
Audi design hasn't been the same since Peter Schreyer left and Walter deSilva took over.

So yeah, high marks - but its so predictable. Can you say that about any
upcoming BMW?

The back looks
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 07:52 PM   #6
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
Brookside, I think this is all new, in that it now rides on the new B8 (I think that's what it's called) platform like the new A5. This means something like 55:45 weight distribution, and more importantly the entire engine NOT hanging in front of the front axle. I think that's just what Audi needed in terms of performance.

They don't seem to be maximizing the potential of the new chassis yet judging by the lukewarm numbers of the A5, but I'm sure they'll get the hang of it in a few years.

More competition is always better. :headbang:
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 08:54 PM   #7
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

What's with the recent trend toward squaring things off? Doesn't the new MB C class do that too? Those pics Brookside posted are MUCH more compelling...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 07:53 AM   #8
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinzero View Post
They don't seem to be maximizing the potential of the new chassis yet judging by the lukewarm numbers of the A5, but I'm sure they'll get the hang of it in a few years.
EVO magazine has quoted Audi as saying the new chassis could be competitive with BMW, and they would like to work on changing customer perception to allow for more balanced handling traits. Here's to hoping it works.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 09:48 AM   #9
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
Yeah they all look the same now!! Ughh... BUT, I must say I LOVE those LED's upfront. I've seen them on a high end audi sedan a few months ago and there stunning. I'm up in the air whether I prefer them to the angel eyes. :/
I love the led's on the S5, and the R8, but for some reason the exxagerated curved look on these looks off to me on the A4. :iono: That looks great on the R8 though. I totally prefer the bmw coronas to the audi led's though. The led's seem like an after thought to spruce up the look, where the coronas seem more of an integrated design element. My $.02.

Curious to see what the audi faithful have coined the led's. I love 'angel eyes' for the coronas.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 01:52 PM   #10
Nixon
Banned
Rep
Drives: :

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinzero View Post
Brookside, I think this is all new, in that it now rides on the new B8 (I think that's what it's called) platform like the new A5. This means something like 55:45 weight distribution, and more importantly the entire engine NOT hanging in front of the front axle. I think that's just what Audi needed in terms of performance.

More competition is always better. :headbang:

Yep. The B8 platform addresses the single biggest complaint about Audi handling, the heavy nose weight bias. They are actually claiming a 50:50 weight distribution in the Quattros because they moved the engine back behind the front axle, moved the battery into the trunk, and redesigned the frame to use higher quality lighter weight metals in the front. Audi actually swapped the positions of the diff and the transmission to pull it off.

On top of that, they put a 40:60 torque bias to the rear wheels under normal driving conditions.

This Audi will handle much more like a BMW xi than ever before. It's too bad they have also increased it's size to be about the same size as the old BMW 5-series. It's getting porky at the same rate the 3-series has gotten porky.

The B8 A4 will give the 328xi a serious run for the money. If I were in the market for a 2008 328xi late next year, I would definitely test drive it side to side with the new B8 A4. I don't think the 328xi would win out. The engine has been de-tuned too much. It will need to be tuned like the Z4 3.0si 255hp/220tq engine to compete. Hopefully the new B8 A4 will be the competitive push to force BMW into using the 3.0si engine tune in more of it's line. Like 330si\330Xsi sedans and coupes, and a 130si coupe.

We will have to wait for a B8 S4 to see if Audi can compete with the 335xi. If the S4 gets the 352 hp - 325 ft/lb torque S5 engine with sub-5 second 0-60 times, it may be very competitive with the 335xi. BMW will have to respond with an engine power boost.

Competition is good, yes it is!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 02:55 PM   #11
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
The B8 A4 will give the 328xi a serious run for the money. If I were in the market for a 2008 328xi late next year, I would definitely test drive it side to side with the new B8 A4. I don't think the 328xi would win out. The engine has been de-tuned too much. It will need to be tuned like the Z4 3.0si 255hp/220tq engine to compete. Hopefully the new B8 A4 will be the competitive push to force BMW into using the 3.0si engine tune in more of it's line. Like 330si\330Xsi sedans and coupes, and a 130si coupe.
Appreciate 0