BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Tax Refund Question

09-30-2020, 09:20 AM   #23
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Not quite that simple, I'm afraid. We have our 1040, an S corp, an LLC, and a partnership. There's inventory depletions and capital equipment. The shit is way above my head now. Our accountant is absolutely awesome to work with. I'll be shocked if there was an error of this magnitude on his side. My guess is the IRS screwed something up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Here is a little advice.

Do your own taxes. I doubt your situation is complex enough to need an accountant and it if is, you would have an accountant that didn’t overlook details like this.
Based on the above I think there is a good chance it is complex and before we decide he needs a new accountant he should figure out what happened.
      09-30-2020, 09:22 AM   #24
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
After you go to Tax Jail can I have your stuff?

In B4 UncleWede and Joekerr
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
You take the STUFF, Joe and I will split the refund check!!!!

Wait, it's in US dollar, not some funky Canadia currency, right? I mean, IRS
I'm not on board with this at all. But it should be eye-opening to DETRoadster just how little value you place on his stuff. That you would prefer $3K over everything he has. Is he a pauper by chance?

I on the other hand ascribe a far greater value to his stuff and would prefer it over 50% of the cheque. But at least we know your price now...MK that means its just us - I say we split DET's stuff 50/50 and pay Wede $3K to make him happy.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      09-30-2020, 09:30 AM   #25
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
I'm not on board with this at all. But it should be eye-opening to DETRoadster just how little value you place on his stuff. That you would prefer $3K over everything he has. Is he a pauper by chance?

I on the other hand ascribe a far greater value to his stuff and would prefer it over 50% of the cheque. But at least we know your price now...MK that means its just us - I say we split DET's stuff 50/50 and pay Wede $3K to make him happy.
Hookers and blow requires cash (or in Canadia, cache) You know how difficult it is to get a hooker to suck the ring off your. . . in your newly acquired (it's not Miss Piggy, is it?) ride?
Appreciate 2
kscarrol8775.50
MKSixer34171.50
      09-30-2020, 09:54 AM   #26
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Wait, it's in US dollar, not some funky Canadia currency, right? I mean, IRS
At the current Canadian dollar exchange rate, it comes out $1.68 US.

It's so bad up in the great white north these days that they don't even circulate pennies any more, and there's a reason why their currency is named loonies.....
      09-30-2020, 10:12 AM   #27
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:

Absolutely but I need a bit of a finders fee so let's make it 55/45 to me. Howz that sound?

Quote:
Hookers and blow requires cash (or in Canadia, cache) You know how difficult it is to get a hooker to suck the ring off your. . . in your newly acquired (it's not Miss Piggy, is it?) ride?
So that's walking around money for an H and B evening!!! Have at it!!!
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 10:36 AM   #28
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Here is a little advice.

Do your own taxes. I doubt your situation is complex enough to need an accountant and it if is, you would have an accountant that didn’t overlook details like this.
That's a whole lot of assumptions packed into one little post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Based on the above I think there is a good chance it is complex and before we decide he needs a new accountant he should figure out what happened.
Without the politics sub forum there's no longer a good venue for knee-jerk, poorly thought through, assumptions to be voiced. People like him come out of the woodwork to offer poor advice like "Just do the taxes yourself. Shooot, me and missus have done our 1040EZ online for years. Only takes 5 minutes. What's wrong with you?"

Last edited by DETRoadster; 09-30-2020 at 10:47 AM..
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15561.50
vreihen1614883.50
      09-30-2020, 10:45 AM   #29
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
^This.

Have you reviewed the tax return documents? If you can see how the calculation is coming up with the refund amount and it appears reasonable and prudent, and the tax accountant confirms it's accuracy, then you are probably good to go.

If the amount owed back to you on the tax forms is not the same as the check received, then you probably need to have the acct reach out to the IRS and resolve the issue.
Yeah, triple checked the 1040. The amount owed back in the form of a refund is thousands less than the refund check that showed up. My accountant offered to contact the IRS when he gets back from vacation but I'll probably just do it myself because I'm curious. His hunch is that an estimated tax payment for 2020 was accidentally applied to 2019. The amount we are off is close to some of the estimated payments we've made but not exact. it's a real mystery. Bottom line, I ain't cashing that check till we get to the bottom of this.

The misallocation thing isn't a bad theory. The stupid state of California Franchise Tax Board mis-applied my annual LLC payment for 2019 into 2018 a few years back and seemingly were unable to just transer the money to the right bucket. Took them over a year to work it out. So I had to double pay for 2019. Then out of the blue last week a refund for the 2018 overage, minus $25, showed up. Bastards! They just took $25 with no explanation and are banking on it being waaaaaaay too timeconsuming and difficult for me to contact them and inquire as to why. They're right. They can just keep the $25. I'm not sitting on hold with them again for 3 hours.

Last edited by DETRoadster; 09-30-2020 at 11:00 AM..
Appreciate 3
cmyx6go15561.50
Run Silent15127.00
vreihen1614883.50
      09-30-2020, 10:55 AM   #30
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Yeah, triple checked the 1040. The amount owed back in the form of a refund is thousands less than the refund check that showed up. My accountant offered to contact the IRS when he gets back from vacation but I'll probably just do it myself because I'm curious. His hunch is that an estimated tax payment for 2020 was accidentally applied to 2019. The amount we are off is close to some of the estimated payments we've made but not exact. it's a real mystery. Bottom line, I ain't cashing that check till we get to the bottom of this.
Call them first thing in the morning. They open at 7:00 am. My accountant told me to be prepared to be on hold for hours, just put on speaker and wait. I called at 7:05 am and waited about 30 minutes.
c0bra182.50
      09-30-2020, 10:57 AM   #31
c0bra
Commander ;)
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88 N54

Quote:
His hunch is that an estimated tax payment for 2020 was accidentally applied to 2019. The amount we are off is close to some of the estimated payments we've made but not exact.
This is exactly what I alluded to in my post, a discrepancy with estimated tax paid is very common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0bra View Post
The IRS is actually very good at making refund adjustments in the taxpayer's favor. A very common adjustment is when there is a difference in total estimated tax payments actually made versus what was reported as being paid on your tax return.
Should have pre-qualified my expertise...

Source: I am an IRS Enrolled Agent. I represent taxpayers before the IRS.
Appreciate 3
DETRoadster11446.00
MKSixer34171.50
vreihen1614883.50
      09-30-2020, 12:18 PM   #32
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
This is exactly what I alluded to in my post, a discrepancy with estimated tax paid is very common.

Should have pre-qualified my expertise...

Source: I am an IRS Enrolled Agent. I represent taxpayers before the IRS.
Ahhhhhhh

The Tax Whisperer. I guess DETRoadster won't be going to jail, after all.

Joekerr and UncleWede, we need to find someone else's stuff. Any suggestions? Does anyone have the covids or anything like that?
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 3
c0bra182.50
vreihen1614883.50
King Rudi13152.00
      09-30-2020, 01:03 PM   #33
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Often, sometimes one does not realize / appreciate they are in an area of complexity and assumes it to be simple instead and something they can handle on our own. Which then gets them into trouble IF they are flagged (some people never get caught) and leads them to hiring an accountant.

Provided you are confident enough to take the risk, then sure, the above advice can be followed. It also keeps me in business to a degree, so I don't mind. Otherwise, I wouldn't follow this advice.

Source: I'm an accountant and I see people miss benefits all the time when they come to me provided their return is not basic. Usually with self employed / corps / or people claiming employment related expenses.
Sure, maybe. But you being an accountant gives you some bias, right? I am in finance, so it gives me bias, but there is no denying tax software has made accountants less needed for most people and situations.

Edit, he probably needs one...but one that communicates better.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 01:05 PM   #34
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Not quite that simple, I'm afraid. We have our 1040, an S corp, an LLC, and a partnership. There's inventory depletions and capital equipment. The shit is way above my head now. Our accountant is absolutely awesome to work with. I'll be shocked if there was an error of this magnitude on his side. My guess is the IRS screwed something up.
OK, accountant approved.

If he screwed up, get a new one.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      09-30-2020, 01:54 PM   #35
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ahhhhhhh

The Tax Whisperer. I guess DETRoadster won't be going to jail, after all.

Joekerr and UncleWede, we need to find someone else's stuff. Any suggestions? Does anyone have the covids or anything like that?
Well, we know 1MOREMOD don't got any more money, but I bet now that he's single, King Rudi has some spare cash.

Are we too chivalrous to consider cmyx6go ? She said something about pending refunds above
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      09-30-2020, 02:01 PM   #36
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Well, we know 1MOREMOD don't got any more money, but I bet now that he's single, King Rudi has some spare cash.

Are we too chivalrous to consider cmyx6go ? She said something about pending refunds above
I already had a man take everything I had - It will never happen again.

Name:  daffy.jpg
Views: 1545
Size:  8.5 KB
King Rudi13152.00
upstatedoc7555.50
Joekerr7926.00
MKSixer34171.50
wcr3d460.50
      09-30-2020, 02:19 PM   #37
DETRoadster
Rep

Sheesh, so I tried for 15 minutes to navigate the IRS phone tree to get to a human. No luck. Stuck in endless loops. It's like some shitty 1970s era game before we had computers. I finally Googled "how to talk to an IRS agent" and found these steps that actually worked...sort of... After following the map below I got a message saying call volume was so high they couldnt talk. Try later. Too many calles to even put me on hold, LOL. Guess I'll try again tomorrow in the AM as cmyx6go advised.

• The first question the automated system will ask you is to choose your language.
  • Once you’ve set your language, do NOT choose Option 1 (regarding refund info). Choose option 2 for “Personal Income Tax” instead.
  • Next, press 1 for “form, tax history, or payment”.
  • Next, press 3 “for all other questions.”
  • Next, press 2 “for all other questions.”
  • When the system asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, do NOT enter anything.
  • After it asks twice, you will be prompted with another menu.
  • Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
  • Finally, press 4 for all other inquiries. The system should then transfer you to an agent.

Let them ask you for your SSN 2x, then the secret menu is unlocked! WTF.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614883.50
      09-30-2020, 02:42 PM   #38
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Sheesh, so I tried for 15 minutes to navigate the IRS phone tree to get to a human. No luck. Stuck in endless loops. It's like some shitty 1970s era game before we had computers. I finally Googled "how to talk to an IRS agent" and found these steps that actually worked...sort of... After following the map below I got a message saying call volume was so high they couldnt talk. Try later. Too many calles to even put me on hold, LOL. Guess I'll try again tomorrow in the AM as cmyx6go advised.

• The first question the automated system will ask you is to choose your language.
  • Once you’ve set your language, do NOT choose Option 1 (regarding refund info). Choose option 2 for “Personal Income Tax” instead.
  • Next, press 1 for “form, tax history, or payment”.
  • Next, press 3 “for all other questions.”
  • Next, press 2 “for all other questions.”
  • When the system asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, do NOT enter anything.
  • After it asks twice, you will be prompted with another menu.
  • Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
  • Finally, press 4 for all other inquiries. The system should then transfer you to an agent.

Let them ask you for your SSN 2x, then the secret menu is unlocked! WTF.
I was going to give you the number I called but I see it is specifically for refund status and requires a reference number which my accountant supplied. Sorry. Good luck.
      09-30-2020, 03:32 PM   #39
c0bra
Commander ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
After following the map below I got a message saying call volume was so high they couldnt talk. Try later. Too many calles to even put me on hold, LOL.
If the issue is with your estimated tax payments being applied to the wrong year, you can very easily check online instead of waiting for an "agent" to look up the same info.

www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account
Appreciate 1
upstatedoc7555.50
      09-30-2020, 04:22 PM   #40
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
If the issue is with your estimated tax payments being applied to the wrong year, you can very easily check online instead of waiting for an "agent" to look up the same info.

www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account
Thanks, but I cant use their online service. Went down this road when they said they needed to verify my identity. Their system is unable to validate my mobile phone number for 2 factor authentication. So they had to mail me a code. Took 2 weeks to arrive. Problem is, that phone verification screen that I bombed out on comes BEFORE you select a username and password. Got my code in the mail and it said "Just log in with the user name and password you selected and enter this code to finish the enrollment."

These guys are hopeless...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 04:37 PM   #41
c0bra
Commander ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, but I cant use their online service. Went down this road when they said they needed to verify my identity. Their system is unable to validate my mobile phone number for 2 factor authentication. So they had to mail me a code. Took 2 weeks to arrive. Problem is, that phone verification screen that I bombed out on comes BEFORE you select a username and password. Got my code in the mail and it said "Just log in with the user name and password you selected and enter this code to finish the enrollment."

These guys are hopeless...
Identity verification and theft protections PINs are beyond frustrating!

As was already suggested, call first thing in the morning for the shortest wait times.

Personally, I would just wait for the notice to come in the mail and/or wait for your accountant to call for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 07:12 PM   #42
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely but I need a bit of a finders fee so let's make it 55/45 to me. Howz that sound?

I've always considered you to be a reasonable man, and I would agree to your proposed split. Even though it doesn't look like we are getting DET's stuff anymore, and more's the pity.

Quote:
Sure, maybe. But you being an accountant gives you some bias, right? I am in finance, so it gives me bias, but there is no denying tax software has made accountants less needed for most people and situations.

Agreed. Everyone has a bias. There is some evidence to back it up too though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post

Attachment 2426586
So you'd do anything for love....
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 09:24 PM   #43
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I've always considered you to be a reasonable man, and I would agree to your proposed split. Even though it doesn't look like we are getting DET's stuff anymore, and more's the pity.

Quote:

Agreed. Everyone has a bias. There is some evidence to back it up too though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post

Attachment 2426586
But she won't do that
      09-30-2020, 10:06 PM   #44
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote: