BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 116ED - Auxiliary Belt Issues

09-05-2021, 01:19 PM   #1
Kryten2340
Rep
Drives: BMW 116d ED Plus (2015)

116ED - Auxiliary Belt Issues

Looking for some help to confirm what I have been told is the crank pulley out of alignment.

My Aux belt has become shredded and after some time of me ignoring the squealing noise I was getting (foolish I know) it eventually gave up the ghost and came off of the Alternator pulley. There was quite a bit of shedding too.

I have cleared this out and ensured all pulleys are clear of rubber and replaced the belt. The new belt shredded straight away.

I then replaced the tensioner pulley as well as the belt again (RAC breakdown guy said its usually the tensioner when this happens). This time around the belt has stayed on but one of the ribs on the v belt shredded itself. I removed the part that had come off and monitored it running with the now 5 rib belt. During this time I had a friend of a friend who is a mechanic at Halfords look at this. We found despite fitting the now 5 rib belt to the back ribs on all pullys the belt was jumping forward one rib on all pullys bar the crank pully. In other words it was sitting at the front on them all except for the crank pully where it was sitting at the back.

The Halfords guy believes the crank pully is out of alignment and has suggested I replace this next. He also put a socket bar behind the pully and said there was some play.

Just looking for other opinions based on the above. I don't mind buying a pully online and fitting it myself as from the videos I've seen it doesn't look difficult. My concern is if this doesn't fix it what else could it be.

All pullys (bar the crank of course) freely rotate by hand. The crank will rotate if you put a socket wrench on one of the nuts.

My car has electric power steering so I don't believe that is involved in the mix. The regular garage I would usually go to is fully booked until the 20th so its either a DIY job or take it somewhere else (the Halfords guy is too busy to take this on himself). The car is also stuck at home so I guess it would be a mobile mechanic if push comes to shove.
Appreciate 0