BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 2012 116i Sport iDrive Upgrade

03-31-2021, 08:10 PM   #1
exanthiax
Registered
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDRIVE20D M Sport

2012 116i Sport iDrive Upgrade

Hiii,

So, I have a 2012 116i Sport (3dr) and it's all basic trim.
My current idrive system doesn't have Bluetooth for music, only phone, it doesn't have nav, or any of that fancy cool stuff.

I'm interested in retrofitting it in and looking for advice.

1. Does anyone know what the part number or part numbers I'm looking for is for this?
2. Can I just change the controller and the CD part, or must I change the screen to - or is it best to change the screen, controller, CD part with the buttons and whatnot on?
3. Will the nav work? Or do I need another/different antenna for that to work? And are there aftermarkets that can be used?
4. Will upgrading to the ENTRYNAV give me Bluetooth music?

Basically, I just want navigation and Bluetooth music, whilst still using s proper idrive unit, rather than some dodgy aftermarket thing

Thanks for the help everyone. Much love
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 05:07 AM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Hi.

Here are a few links you might like to check:

In general, it's not an easy/straightforward endeavour. Neither cheap. If you just have money to dump you should address a shop. If you wish to do it yourself, apply your persistence (it's apparent you'll need some) to searching first (the subject is quite popular actually).

Quote:
Originally Posted by exanthiax View Post
2. Can I just change the controller and the CD part, or must I change the screen to - or is it best to change the screen, controller, CD part with the buttons and whatnot on?
It looks like you'll have to change the screen too: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=65_2302. It also looks like you'll want the big screen anyway: https://f20.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1808242.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 03:28 PM   #3
F20116iRed
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i f20

Quote:
Originally Posted by exanthiax View Post
Hiii,

So, I have a 2012 116i Sport (3dr) and it's all basic trim.
My current idrive system doesn't have Bluetooth for music, only phone, it doesn't have nav, or any of that fancy cool stuff.

I'm interested in retrofitting it in and looking for advice.

1. Does anyone know what the part number or part numbers I'm looking for is for this?
3. Will the nav work? Or do I need another/different antenna for that to work? And are there aftermarkets that can be used?
4. Will upgrading to the ENTRYNAV give me Bluetooth music?

Basically, I just want navigation and Bluetooth music, whilst still using s proper idrive unit, rather than some dodgy aftermarket thing

Thanks for the help everyone. Much love
Hi mate,
Had the same question myself the other day. I have the most basic I drive in my 2012 sport (CIC). Had a look around and found the best option was one of these CarPlay boxes

https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0xUOg3

You maintain original IDrive but have the option to switch over to CarPlay (google maps, Spotify , phone calls etc), all controlled by original idrive controller and the steering wheel controls will work on the CarPlay feature (You don't get this on original IDrive) Works flawlessly and looks great too even on original screen. Difficulty to fit is medium as it's quite fiddly but all you need is some torque screws and patience, a beer will help too haha. Took 12 days to arrive to me in UK and £150 is a good price for what you get. Before you order it it's a good thing to check the connector on the back of your IDrive screen (10 minute job just have to remove air condition vents and 2 screws) as the CIC is 4 pin however on a lot of the 2012 models they have the 6 pin NBT connector ( mine did) this is also good practice for when you get the box and you know what you're doing. I've attached a video that I followed and if you follow it step by step it works great. Let me know if you need anymore information.

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 04:44 PM   #4
exanthiax
Registered
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDRIVE20D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by F20116iRed View Post
Hi mate,
Had the same question myself the other day. I have the most basic I drive in my 2012 sport (CIC). Had a look around and found the best option was one of these CarPlay boxes

https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0xUOg3

You maintain original IDrive but have the option to switch over to CarPlay (google maps, Spotify , phone calls etc), all controlled by original idrive controller and the steering wheel controls will work on the CarPlay feature (You don't get this on original IDrive) Works flawlessly and looks great too even on original screen. Difficulty to fit is medium as it's quite fiddly but all you need is some torque screws and patience, a beer will help too haha. Took 12 days to arrive to me in UK and £150 is a good price for what you get. Before you order it it's a good thing to check the connector on the back of your IDrive screen (10 minute job just have to remove air condition vents and 2 screws) as the CIC is 4 pin however on a lot of the 2012 models they have the 6 pin NBT connector ( mine did) this is also good practice for when you get the box and you know what you're doing. I've attached a video that I followed and if you follow it step by step it works great. Let me know if you need anymore information.

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. So this is something you would recommend as an alternative to what I'm after. It seems like a good idea to me, and not as pricey and easier than replacing the entire iDrive and doing a whole retrofit.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm having a look into this. Was there any snags you ran into whilst doing this? Such as the microphone or the antenna? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 07:03 PM   #5
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Regarding magic boxes. There's an OEM navigation one applicable to 2012 July and after (2013 "model year"?) cars (this must be the "6 pin NBT connector" screen ): https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=03_2283. And you'll keep your beautiful screen!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 06:52 AM   #6
SK223
Rep
Drives: F20

I recently retrofitted the professional NBT navigation (609 option) with the 8.8 screen and it was worth it, didn't want to go down the android screen route as I thought that it looked tacky. Just going to get a MMI box soon as I think it looks better with the factory 8.8 screen.
Also I didn't want to get a ID5/6 drive unit as I have a pre lci F20, so the car images wouldn't correlate, and also because NBT is easier to retrofit with an emulator.
Appreciate 0