BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > 1 Million Units: The Premium Generation. Next 7 Series, X7, CS II, M1, Rolls Royce

07-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

1 Million Units: The Premium Generation. Next 7 Series, X7, CS II, M1, Rolls Royce

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
1 Million Units : The Premium Generation

"1 Million units."

Although it does not seem much in real life terms it does matter to the auto industry and in all respect the Premium manufacturers who produce cars in the higher price stratosphere.

1 Million units is what luxury car sales are expected to grow to by 2015 propelled by new and emerging markets and established tentpole markets.

With the attention on BMW i and BMW UKL/MINI being the main focus this past few years, BMW are back to determining their next phase of penetration towards the high end luxury market. High end luxury cars they will be but every aspect of BMW EfficientDynamics technology will be a key feature.

BMW 7er / BMW 7er EWB

First up is an all new BMW 7er due in 2015 and unique and revolutionary in every way thanks to an intensive new mix of Aluminium and CFRP throughout key areas of the car such as platform, structure and body panels.

Once again the new 7er will reflect the previous generations by arriving in both standard and LWB Li models. With the usual petrol , diesel mix an all new V12 hybrid will be one of the cars most salient talking points.

With weight reduction being the priority thanks to the exotic mix of alumium and CFRP utilising BMW's experience in volume CFRP production and the first BMW to inherit from the overall BMW i investment. Of course in the premium market the 7er has already been called out in regards to sustainability and not in the eco terms of sustainability, but sales sustainability. Which is why BMW are moving forward on further concepts to help sustain the 7er.

BMW X7

One such concept which has been attempted twice before but dropped at the very last minutes as BMW's proposed ultimate SAV is the BMW X7. Now recognising the future of the luxury vehicle is SUV's. BMW management and Rolls-Royce are very reluctant to turn their Jewel - The Rolls-Royce brand into a patische by offering an SUV (which some douchebags have already done) , management have now moved forward on a more sporting direct competitior using the BMW badge.

However X7 is not just an enlarged X5. BMW recognise that not every SUV should be a facsimile of a Range Rover or X6. Given the importantance of the market for SAVs and for BMW especially in markets where sales are primarily driven by BMW X Vehicles.
BMW do not want to offer the same concept in each size. So the task given was to revolutionize the SAV. BMW have decided and soon the public will get the opportunity.

Although still very much an SAV its market designation has determined its visual approach to something new. Taking a more sporting look of more a Touring shape on stilts, the longer , wider and bigger than an X5, X7 goes for a more dynamic and sporting appearance.
The glasshouse is smaller and goes for a MINI-esque floating roof effect at the front above A-Pillars, The roofline drops dramatically at the rear for a very dynamic effect. The look is overall inspired by the next generation of 7er as the bloodline is carried over with a high characterline and prominent double "bow" line on the lower surfaces. The car is influenced by BMW's previous attempt with the RFK which most of the key areas of that project became the 5er GT.

Sharing with as much as the 7er including engines , technology , drivetrains aswell as the construction material of aluminium and CFRP.

The X7 would be BMW's ultra luxury SAV challenger in the high end luxury market , the market where the most growth will be thanks to demand for high end Super-luxury SUV's.

BMW CS II

The next choice will be to where BMW left off previously before the economic situation took hold. And that is with the BMW CS. Shown as a Concept at the Shanghai autoshow in 2007. Had everything turned out ok economically the CS would be hitting the market around now.

The Gran Coupe if you will is very much the CS that has arisen like a phoenix from the ashes. Which if you look at that turnaround from CS to Gran Coupe it is highly significant as the timeframe was more or less the same. Had the CS commenced then we would have had that car arrive around now in V8 and V10 form. Since a "Father" of M was in charge of the project it was only right that a completely reworked highly successful V10 be the powerplant of choice.

Now that the luxury market is growing , BMW are working on the second attempt (or is that third Again a four door Coupe positioned above the 7er is the strategy again , based on the new architecture and involving the alu-CFRP mix of material technology , design is not finalised but expect a more sporting look like before but inherited from the next 7er.

BMW M1

BMW M would like to do such a car but now is not the time. For such a car to be achieveable BMW needs the resources from BMW i and that will not happen for a couple of years until BMW can maintain full volume of CFRP production. The first car to achieve the transition from BMW i will be the next generation BMW 7er in 2015. It will be by then that BMW can start to look at what such a car can evolve into.

As of now BMW's sports cars strategy lie with the upcoming BMW i8 and BMW i8 Spyder models. These are the priority before any other project moves forward. What is known is that the projects priority is weight reduction, extensive material technology costs a lot of money which is why some cars only use what they can. BMW's CFRP investment will overcome this obstacle and will use extensive CFRP construction and possibly use a variant of the S63Tu or if BMW feels more inclined to downsize, A V10 could be possible as a future V12 replacement? The recent partnership with Toyota will not result in such a car as BMW M will prefer going alone. Although BMW and Toyota are expected to collaborate on a future sustainable sports car.

Rolls-Royce "GHOST" Coupe, DropHead Coupe

Of course one brand that has been successful even in economic decline is Rolls-Royce with two models the Ghost and the Phantom, A Rolls-Royce is what you treat youself to for a job well done. The Ghost has now followed the Phantom and added an Extended Wheelbase model. But now the Ghost progresses again like the Phantom with two highly awaited Ghost models - The Coupe and The DropHead Coupe which are now testing outside in the public around Munich.

The Ghost is already a beautiful car , The new Coupe and DropHead models extend that beauty a new sleeker roofline merges into a sleeker rear overhang which still encases a full size trunk.

The disguise kind of makes the car like the 1999 IAA Concept the BMW Z9 Gran Turismo, but underneath lies one of the most beautiful and signifcant cars for the luxury market. Proportions are more shrunk and there is styling differences from the Ghost on the Coupe and DropHead Coupe models especially at the front and rear of the car.

The Ghost Coupe is expected to be on sale by early 2014 and first with an advantage , an EX Concept car is scheduled for Geneva 2013. The sleeker looks of the Coupe are to show Rolls-Royce intentions and what kind of customer they are aiming for. With the car getting a more sporting drive from the already dynamically sound Ghost to give Bentley and the GT a scare.

Aswell as a Ghost, Ghost EWB ,Coupe and DropHead Coupe. There is also potential for a more luxurious four door Coupe model , a sort of extended Ghost Coupe with four doors for those that would like the Coupe but have children or business needs.

Some Rolls-Royce customers have one RR and even some have an example of every model that RR makes in their garage. Like the Ghost it is hoped that the customer has a Ghost or indeed is new to the brand and of course both these models will be fully available with bespoke personalisation.

Recent trademarks by BMW of "Corniche" and "Carmague" have been logged but the full names will not be known until the debut in September 2013 at the IAA in Frankfurt.
Attached Images

07-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
jeff@autocouture
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

cant wait to see some future vehicles and the technology coming out
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

I just don't see BMW ruining their green credit on a big SUV. But who knows. I wouldn't have thought that BMW would make a SUV Coupe and look what happened.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

And I thought the 6-series Gran Coupe was a big car. A sleeker sedan based on the upcoming 7-series (which will likely be a little longer than the F01) is going to be really, really big!

Do you have the chassis designations for some of these new platforms yet, Scott?
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
135iDCT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135I

the rear like the new lexus GS
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
Mahzari
Captain
Iran
Rep
Drives: poorly

Excuse me, did you just say V10 BMW CS? I think I died
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #7
gwtw02
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 550i

the rolls royce coupe looks like a camarro from outside. just sayin..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #8
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Make the X7 exactly like this :

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

X7 - no. CSII - yes. Also I wonder how the Ghost coupe would look. Ghost looks amazing.
      07-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
X7 - no. CSII - yes. Also I wonder how the Ghost coupe would look. Ghost looks amazing.
I agree. I saw a Ghost the other day and it was just a presence on the road! Excited to see what a Ghost coupe would look like.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #11
F80NJM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Not fan of the rear. Looks like a Lexus..
      07-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #12
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Some great products will follow but the most important thing is that they will start to reduce the weight in an extensive way
Just very curious to see how i8 will perform as being the first sport car with an important weight reduction from BMW lineup
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #13
3s-a-charm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X

Garage List
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwtw02 View Post
the rolls royce coupe looks like a camarro from outside. just sayin..
I was thinking Charger Coupe...
Attached Images

07-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #14
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Well, at least that 7 is sexy enough to give someone a reason to choose it over the 6 Gran Coupe.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #15
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

There is zero shame in the truth.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debdoub View Post
I don't get it why BMW keeps making cars bigger they're becoming like American cars. Humble opinion
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #16
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

fantastic use of "douchebags" LOL
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #17
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #18
Shane550X
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i xDrive, '13 VW CC,

X7=
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #19
OrangeDeep
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iDCT View Post
the rear like the new lexus GS
+1, that was the first thought that came to mind.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #20
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

"1 Million units is what luxury car sales are expected to grow to by 2015 propelled by new and emerging markets and established tentpole markets."

Can anyone translate this for me? Doesn't BMW already sell over 1M units worldwide, and has been since 2004? What exactly is the definition of "luxury car" here?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #21
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

The X7 will definitely be a sales success around where I live, I was just at the dealership today and a salesman told me, as we were looking at a row of 5 X6 Ms and 3 X5 Ms, that they literally could not keep those models in stock because they sell every single one they get, in the 20 minutes that I was there they sold 2 X6 Ms (and their first M6 convertible).

It's great to see that BMW is leveraging the money and expertise it gains through Project i on the new 7 / X7 chassis, I have no interest in the i cars for myself but I am optimistic about the influence their technology will have on the rest of BMW's lineup.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #22
Judah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786
Well some of us need the potential seating capacity of the X7....
Appreciate 0