BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > DIY Guides and Instructions > OEM CarPlay retrofit + LCI digital cluster retrofit (8715144).

01-27-2023, 06:55 AM   #1
Elmo111
Rep
Drives: BMW 118d Urban

OEM CarPlay retrofit + LCI digital cluster retrofit (8715144).

Hi all,

I've currently got an 2015 F20 with an ENTRYNAV1 unit, using a CarPlay MMI.

I'm looking at retrofitting the LCI extended cluster (8715144) but I believe I'd need at a minimum and ENTRYNAV2 unit and a MOST cable for this to work.

On eBay I've seen a lot of these ENTRYNAV2 units (8705960 with-wifi), so that ticks off the OEM CarPlay function and should hopefully work with the cluster, once coded.

I'm also of the understanding that I'll need an emulator as the ENTRYNAV2 unit I'm looking at is from a 2018 X1, so this keeps things 'simple' - I'll just need to VO code the cluster and head unit? Is it possible to use a 2018 ENTRYNAV2 unit as a replacement for the ENTRYNAV1? I'll be using a 6.5" LCI display for now, but plan on shifting to the 8.8" in the future.

Is this as straightforward as it seems, or am I missing a few key steps?

Thanks for your time!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 07:01 AM   #2
Finn2k1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 116d

I believe your thinking is correct.

You need the following:

1. Compatible cluster. Different bmw models are using the same cluster so just make sure on realoem that part nr is for your car. It needs to be virginized and with less km/miles than your original cluster.

2. Entrynav2 HU with NBT evo emulator

3. VO code HU with option SWA for the extended cluster

4. In case your display is APIX1 you are going to need a voltage regulator. Check what type is the display output on the new head unit.

5. Optionally you are going to need a new idrive controller with the nav mapping.

Alternatively you can go for a patched harman HU (The bigger one).

Last edited by Finn2k1; 02-01-2023 at 07:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 10:36 AM   #3
1seriesApr2016
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 Series Apr/2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn2k1 View Post
I believe your thinking is correct.

You need the following:

1. Compatible cluster. Different bmw models are using the same cluster so just make sure on realoem that part nr is for your car. It needs to be virginized and with less km/miles than your original cluster.

2. Entrynav2 HU with NBT evo emulator

3. VO code HU with option SWA for the extended cluster

4. In case your display is APIX1 you are going to need a voltage regulator. Check what type is the display output on the new head unit.

5. Optionally you are going to need a new idrive controller with the nav mapping.

Alternatively you can go for a patched harman HU (The bigger one).
, i have a bmw 1 series 2016 model with entry nav hu, i want to use apple car play and see if i can possibly get the id4 oor 5/6 and a bigger screen. im not how its possible or EVEN if its possible.
1. do i need to change the head unit or do i need to just get a new OEM, bigger screen for carplay. and is it simple plug and play
2. would a 2017 1 series HU(alpine) be compatible with my 2016 1 series.
3. how do i go about getting things coded, i also want to unlock digi speedometer and lock unlock sound enabled would coding with the bimmber code work for the new HU and to unlock features within the ECU ?
Appreciate 0