BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Dyno M140i vs M140i with OPF

06-25-2019, 04:29 PM   #1
Wozich
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 GO1 X3 30d LCI

Dyno M140i vs M140i with OPF

As you might know from last year onwards petrol powered cars sold in Europe have to be equiped with OPF - Ottopartikelfilter. An OPF is an exhaust particule filter for petrol cars, which is supposed to reduce particule emissions. OPF filters seem to be killing exhaust sound and reducing engine power. Plus the exhaust gets heavier.

The question is how much power do they reduce. Well I looked at dyno results from Akrapovič. They measured an M240i without OPF and an M140i with OPF (same engine and drivetrain).

Stock cars (blue line)
On the M240i (no OPF) it measured:
354,3HP
548,9Nm

M140i (with OPF) measured:
336,6HP
526,9Nm

Difference: -17,7HP and -22Nm

That's quite a lot.

The red line is with the Akrapovič exhaust. And even then with the OPF Akrapovič exhaust, the power is lower than with the stock exhaust without OPF.

Power is measured in kW and torque in Nm
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 09:09 AM   #2
V-Eight
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 G80 Comp.Xdrive

It's very interesting.

It's also to underline that the OPF power in nearly the one that is declared, but...off course, every B58 pre-OPF has a significative quantity of power in addition to the power claimed by BMW.

In my sport displays, when I put the foot down, it shows a little bit more than 350hp (I guess 354/355) and looking at the NM display, more than 500 that it should have. Around 530/540 I can say.

Looking at what the engine offers after the OPF addition, it's a real shame. Here in Europe, politicians wants to make war to all ICE engines....forgetting that only 20 cruise ships....pollutes and produces Co2 as all the cars of all the european countries..... thinking at the fact that all around the world there are more than 60.000 heavy ships that everyday are on the seas.....I think that they're only kidding us, and the only real point is that they'll force us to convert our cars into something electric and self-guided, without any kind of driving pleasure for the owners.

That's why for my girlfriend, I'm looking for a used 2018 Audi S1 quattro...NO OPF, NO ADAS, No Touchscreen, NO other f*cking systems that we don't need at all.

Another fact is that you have to pay more to have less.. (less power, less sound, less torque, less pleasure).......I'm shocked.
Appreciate 0