BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Still want an EV?

01-27-2024, 01:59 PM   #6293
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
The man is a raisin short of a fruitcake.
I trust you are talking about Sadiq Khan?
Appreciate 2
      01-27-2024, 02:31 PM   #6294
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
I trust you are talking about Sadiq Khan?
What do you think
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1479.00
      01-27-2024, 03:01 PM   #6295
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82 M4, G22 M440, E92 335i

Quote:
The man is a raisin short of a fruitcake.
Is it a compliment ??
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60069.50
      01-27-2024, 04:45 PM   #6296
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderspice View Post
Really? No comment on the 1000 mile range EV? Makes me think this thread really isn’t about EVs. :/
I was going to engage yesterday but didn't have bandwidth in my day. So, it is an engineering development model to prove a 100kWh can achieve a 600 mile range. Okay, so it did that. But how close is the architecture to a production sedan that needs to meet stringent safety regulations and meet durability requirements. I didn't see every moment of the video, I'll re-look at it later this evening. I was looking for what the car's heating performance is and it's AC performance. The test engineer did discuss it some. The car had no heated seats/steering wheel and had a heat pump using collected waste heat from the 240 HP electric motor. Are those systems real-world rated? I'd bet not; probably designed for minimum driver comfort to achieve the 1000km goal.

It was impressive that it loses just 5% energy from cell-to-roadwheel.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 01-28-2024 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 4
M5Rick60069.50
kyriian884.50
eugenebmw1479.00
      01-27-2024, 05:50 PM   #6297
ad111
Rep
Drives: bmw m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenebmw View Post
Repost from another discussion group

EVs are banned to parked in major hospitals in Victoria Australia. One very interesting feedback. "How about parking these EV cars under parliament? We will see how the MPs like a taste of their own policies"

according to the pro-EV posters ITT the fire risk is hyperbolic nonsense. i guess the video above is just a distraction...
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60069.50
      01-28-2024, 10:50 AM   #6298
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad111 View Post
according to the pro-EV posters ITT the fire risk is hyperbolic nonsense. i guess the video above is just a distraction...
'I see nothing, it's just lies', is normal from that faction.
Appreciate 2
      01-28-2024, 10:56 AM   #6299
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
'I see nothing, it's just lies', is normal from that faction.
I maybe wrong, I try to be moderate and I suspect that the risk for fire isn't as high as some are suggesting, but I also think the risk of fire and then the level of devastation from the fire is much higher than a lot want us to believe.
Appreciate 3
eugenebmw1479.00
M5Rick60069.50
      01-28-2024, 12:22 PM   #6300
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
In the case of fire on public buses the issue isn't the fire, it's the stupid politicians and bureaucrats that spend million of dollars of tax payer money on an unproven technology to fix a problem that doesn't exist. Sooner or later there will be a loss of life.
As for the fires being low occurrence, yes but remember these cars are currently top end construction and owned but people who have multiple vehicles and a house hold income above $100,000.00. When this EV's find themselves in a secondary market, with high mileage and worse maintenance and the end of battery life, smart money says this become far more common. remember there are no small EV fires and few fire departments are prepared to handle them.
Appreciate 4
eugenebmw1479.00
M5Rick60069.50
      01-28-2024, 12:26 PM   #6301
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Electric Car Demographics: 34 Buyer Facts
As electric vehicles (EVs) gain popularity, it’s essential to understand the demographics of their adopters.
Quick Facts About Electric Car Demographics

Majorities of Gen Z (56%) and Millennial (57%) adults favor phasing out production of new gas-powered vehicles by 2035.
45% of Gen X and 38% of Baby Boomers and older Americans favor phasing out production of new gas-powered vehicles by 2035.
Over a quarter of EV buyers are aged 35-49.
40% of EV buyers are aged 18-34.
68% of EV buyers are men vs. 32% of EV buyers are women.
44% of EV-interested consumers identify as Democrats, while 23% say they are Republicans.
In the fourth quarter of 2021, electrified vehicles accounted for 11.8% of total vehicle sales in the US.
Higher-income households (earning over $100,000 annually) account for 56% of EV owners in the United States.
Only 4% of EV owners in the U.S. have a household income of under $25,000 per year.
Urban dwellers, who make up about 81% of the U.S. population, account for 83% of EV owners.
Approximately 29% of EV owners have a postgraduate degree, while only 18% of the general population holds one.
In a U.S. survey, 74% of EV owners stated that environmental concerns were a primary motivation for purchasing an EV.
Government incentives, such as the U.S. federal tax credit of up to $7,500, have a significant impact on EV adoption rates.
80% of EV charging in the U.S. occurs at home, making access to home charging infrastructure crucial for adoption.
Range anxiety persists, with 58% of potential EV buyers in the U.S. citing it as a top concern.
https://motorandwheels.com/electric-car-demographics/

As an educated red neck this seems like a group I would prefer to avoid.
Appreciate 5
Efthreeoh17312.00
eugenebmw1479.00
M5Rick60069.50
      01-28-2024, 12:50 PM   #6302
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Electric Car Demographics: 34 Buyer Facts
As electric vehicles (EVs) gain popularity, it’s essential to understand the demographics of their adopters.
Quick Facts About Electric Car Demographics

Majorities of Gen Z (56%) and Millennial (57%) adults favor phasing out production of new gas-powered vehicles by 2035.
45% of Gen X and 38% of Baby Boomers and older Americans favor phasing out production of new gas-powered vehicles by 2035.
Over a quarter of EV buyers are aged 35-49.
40% of EV buyers are aged 18-34.
68% of EV buyers are men vs. 32% of EV buyers are women.
44% of EV-interested consumers identify as Democrats, while 23% say they are Republicans.
In the fourth quarter of 2021, electrified vehicles accounted for 11.8% of total vehicle sales in the US.
Higher-income households (earning over $100,000 annually) account for 56% of EV owners in the United States.
Only 4% of EV owners in the U.S. have a household income of under $25,000 per year.
Urban dwellers, who make up about 81% of the U.S. population, account for 83% of EV owners.
Approximately 29% of EV owners have a postgraduate degree, while only 18% of the general population holds one.
In a U.S. survey, 74% of EV owners stated that environmental concerns were a primary motivation for purchasing an EV.
Government incentives, such as the U.S. federal tax credit of up to $7,500, have a significant impact on EV adoption rates.
80% of EV charging in the U.S. occurs at home, making access to home charging infrastructure crucial for adoption.
Range anxiety persists, with 58% of potential EV buyers in the U.S. citing it as a top concern.
https://motorandwheels.com/electric-car-demographics/

As an educated red neck this seems like a group I would prefer to avoid.
This is why I'm worried my retirement portfolio is not going to be sufficient to keep me fed and from sleeping out in the rain.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 6
eugenebmw1479.00
M5Rick60069.50
TboneS541043.00
      01-28-2024, 01:02 PM   #6303
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
This is why I'm worried my retirement portfolio is not going to be sufficient to keep me fed and from sleeping out in the rain.
In a unrelated study: 74% of people are idiots.

While we are on the subject of polls:
New poll reveals staggering number of Americans unlikely to buy electric cars
1/22/24
A recent poll by Rasmussen Reports revealed that 65 percent of American adults are unlikely to consider purchasing an electric vehicle (EV) for their next car.
This sentiment is particularly strong among working and lower-middle class individuals, with over 70 percent in the $30,000 to $50,000 income bracket expressing disinterest in buying an EV.
The survey also highlighted that EVs are more appealing to wealthier individuals, as 52 percent of those earning at least $200,000 are likely to consider purchasing an EV.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...rs/ar-BB1h5iCq

Not the educated Red Neck demographics
Appreciate 2
      01-28-2024, 04:07 PM   #6304
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
The Green Grift rolls on. Long read but worth the time.
The Rooftop Solar Industry Could Be On the Verge of Collapse
January 25, 2024
Angry customers aren’t the only reason the solar industry is in trouble. Some of the nation’s biggest public solar companies are struggling to stay afloat as questions arise over the viability of the financial products they sold to both consumers and investors to fund their growing operations.
Still, the residential solar industry is floundering. In late 2023 alone, more than 100 residential solar dealers and installers in the U.S. declared bankruptcy, according to Roth Capital Partners—six times the number in the previous three years combined. Roth expects at least 100 more to fail. The two largest companies in the industry, SunRun and Sunnova, both posted big losses in their most recent quarterly reports, and their shares are down 86% and 81% respectively from their peaks in January 2021.
Another solar giant, SunPower, saw shares plunge 41% on Dec. 18 after it said that it may not be able to continue to operate because of debt issues. Sunlight Financial, a big player in the solar finance space, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in October; it also faces a lawsuit alleging that the company made false and misleading statements about its financial well-being.
At the root of these struggles is the complicated financial engineering that helped companies raise money but that some investors and analysts say was built on a framework of lies—or at least exaggerations.
After growing 31% in 2021 and 40% in 2022, residential solar will only grow by 13% in 2023 and then contract 12% in 2024
SunRun itself has disclosed in investor filings that it is in the midst of an IRS audit. One Wall Street analyst, Gordon Johnson, alleges that SunRun has claimed $40 billion in tax subsidies it didn’t deserve, and calls this “the biggest tax fraud in the history of the U.S.”
California alone lost 17,000 solar jobs in 2023, according to the California Solar and Storage Association.
https://time.com/6565415/rooftop-sol...stry-collapse/

A few folks getting rich off the misrepresentation of an non existent threat. The climate thefts keeps rolling on.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick60069.50
eugenebmw1479.00
      01-28-2024, 04:43 PM   #6305
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
In a unrelated study: 74% of people are idiots.

While we are on the subject of polls:
New poll reveals staggering number of Americans unlikely to buy electric cars
1/22/24
A recent poll by Rasmussen Reports revealed that 65 percent of American adults are unlikely to consider purchasing an electric vehicle (EV) for their next car.
This sentiment is particularly strong among working and lower-middle class individuals, with over 70 percent in the $30,000 to $50,000 income bracket expressing disinterest in buying an EV.
The survey also highlighted that EVs are more appealing to wealthier individuals, as 52 percent of those earning at least $200,000 are likely to consider purchasing an EV.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...rs/ar-BB1h5iCq

Not the educated Red Neck demographics
That's what it boils down to, it's mainly a well off peoples choice to add an EV to their gas cars in large properties, while for the ones you mention in the lower middle brackets it makes little sense with everything to do with an EV taken into account, add tax squeeze and the cost of living to top it.
Appreciate 3
      01-28-2024, 04:50 PM   #6306
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
The Green Grift rolls on. Long read but worth the time.
The Rooftop Solar Industry Could Be On the Verge of Collapse
January 25, 2024
Angry customers aren’t the only reason the solar industry is in trouble. Some of the nation’s biggest public solar companies are struggling to stay afloat as questions arise over the viability of the financial products they sold to both consumers and investors to fund their growing operations.
Still, the residential solar industry is floundering. In late 2023 alone, more than 100 residential solar dealers and installers in the U.S. declared bankruptcy, according to Roth Capital Partners—six times the number in the previous three years combined. Roth expects at least 100 more to fail. The two largest companies in the industry, SunRun and Sunnova, both posted big losses in their most recent quarterly reports, and their shares are down 86% and 81% respectively from their peaks in January 2021.
Another solar giant, SunPower, saw shares plunge 41% on Dec. 18 after it said that it may not be able to continue to operate because of debt issues. Sunlight Financial, a big player in the solar finance space, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in October; it also faces a lawsuit alleging that the company made false and misleading statements about its financial well-being.
At the root of these struggles is the complicated financial engineering that helped companies raise money but that some investors and analysts say was built on a framework of lies—or at least exaggerations.
After growing 31% in 2021 and 40% in 2022, residential solar will only grow by 13% in 2023 and then contract 12% in 2024
SunRun itself has disclosed in investor filings that it is in the midst of an IRS audit. One Wall Street analyst, Gordon Johnson, alleges that SunRun has claimed $40 billion in tax subsidies it didn’t deserve, and calls this “the biggest tax fraud in the history of the U.S.”
California alone lost 17,000 solar jobs in 2023, according to the California Solar and Storage Association.
https://time.com/6565415/rooftop-sol...stry-collapse/

A few folks getting rich off the misrepresentation of an non existent threat. The climate thefts keeps rolling on.
Solar appeals to me for non-environmental reasons. My house is oriented poorly for solar. I would have to do a solar roof instead of panels. So I am not pulling the trigger on that yet.

Are you against solar as always a grift? Combined with a couple of Tesla Powerwalls it would be great especially during outages.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 05:10 PM   #6307
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Solar appeals to me for non-environmental reasons. My house is oriented poorly for solar. I would have to do a solar roof instead of panels. So I am not pulling the trigger on that yet.

Are you against solar as always a grift? Combined with a couple of Tesla Powerwalls it would be great especially during outages.
I'm not interested in using solar to power my home and go off grid, I don't know that the cost would be recovered but as a back up system to cover us during outages has some appeal.
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2024, 05:17 PM   #6308
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
I'm not interested in using solar to power my home and go off grid, I don't know that the cost would be recovered but as a back up system to cover us during outages has some appeal.
As a back up is the main interest for me. I don’t have to have it break even on cost quickly. But, it’s outside my comfort level on cost right now.
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2024, 05:18 PM   #6309
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
Solar appeals to me for non-environmental reasons.
Color me shocked
Quote:
I'm all for technologies that save resources and have a ROI. That is why I live in a super insulated house with geothermal HVAC. Our Shop is highly insulated and geo thermal HVAC. The best way to save energy is not to waste it.
The money spent on the green grift could have been spent on saving energy and building safe nuclear power plants. Sadly those options don't allow tax payers to be defrauded enough.
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1479.00
      01-28-2024, 05:23 PM   #6310
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Color me shocked

I'm all for technologies that save resources and have a ROI. That is why I live in a super insulated house with geothermal HVAC. Our Shop is highly insulated and geo thermal HVAC. The best way to save energy is not to waste it.
The money spent on the green grift could have been spent on saving energy and building safe nuclear power plants. Sadly those options don't allow tax payers to be defrauded enough.
As a kidney doctor I am naturally in favor of geothermal. It’s like the loops of Henle.

I’m still interested in solar aside from and completely removed from any tax shenanigans or subsidy issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 05:56 PM   #6311
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Okay. In order to save the planet I will stand here and freeze to death until my eco car is charged. By then, I might remember where I'm going.

Name:  Cold..jpg
Views: 329
Size:  107.7 KB
Appreciate 4
      01-28-2024, 08:39 PM   #6312
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
Okay. In order to save the planet I will stand here and freeze to death until my eco car is charged. By then, I might remember where I'm going.

Attachment 3374967
Waiting for BMW's first 3-bagger Electric Sport Tourer the iK15.500kWh. Ride 80 miles and charge for an hour.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 05:30 AM   #6313
Llarry
///M driver
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6-speed

Garage List
I can't vouch for these numbers, but they are thought-provoking.
Attached Images

kyriian884.50
jesm207.50
eugenebmw1479.00
      01-29-2024, 06:05 AM   #6314
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llarry View Post
I can't vouch for these numbers, but they are thought-provoking.
Thank you for your input Llarry, I have yet to see or hear from any environmentalists in relation to these figures.
Appreciate 5