BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Still want an EV?
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-16-2024, 09:03 PM   #8339
Weather Man
Lieutenant
Weather Man's Avatar
1264
Rep
440
Posts

Drives: BMW M4 Competition AWD
Join Date: Feb 2024
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Need data.
Lazy.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 09:08 PM   #8340
gblansten
Brigadier General
gblansten's Avatar
2099
Rep
4,287
Posts

Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Thick ascending limb

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Man View Post
Lazy.
Even if you were motivated I don't think you could find data supporting your claim that death by EV fire is higher than death by ICE fire. ICE fires are already occurring at ten times the rate of EV fires. Unlikely deaths in those events would be higher for EVs.
Appreciate 2
RM72899.00
      Yesterday, 06:10 AM   #8341
Weather Man
Lieutenant
Weather Man's Avatar
1264
Rep
440
Posts

Drives: BMW M4 Competition AWD
Join Date: Feb 2024
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Even if you were motivated I don't think you could find data supporting your claim that death by EV fire is higher than death by ICE fire. ICE fires are already occurring at ten times the rate of EV fires. Unlikely deaths in those events would be higher for EVs.
Nice job ignoring the perfectly clear and understandable data I posted that you have been attempting to nay nay since I posted it. The ICE fire data bupkis has already been debunked when corrected. Nothing like a electric user in full denial. Funny how it's about the science until the science says you ride around in a car more likely to kill you by fire than a 1971 shitbox Pinto.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:24 AM   #8342
Weather Man
Lieutenant
Weather Man's Avatar
1264
Rep
440
Posts

Drives: BMW M4 Competition AWD
Join Date: Feb 2024
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Even if you were motivated I don't think you could find data supporting your claim that death by EV fire is higher than death by ICE fire. ICE fires are already occurring at ten times the rate of EV fires. Unlikely deaths in those events would be higher for EVs.
Pay attention, you might learn something.

Appreciate 2
      Yesterday, 09:11 AM   #8343
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
Car-Addicted's Avatar
United_States
7247
Rep
1,967
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Central PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
There are many articles showing that it is more expensive to insure EV's than it is similar ICE vehicles. No this is not due to all the EV fires or all the dead EV drivers, it due to the average loss's as determined by insurance actuarial tables. Insurance companies don't give a dam about YouTube fire videos. It's all about the loss pay outs and today's EV is more likely to be a total write off than a repairable wreck.

Are High Insurance Premiums Holding EVs Back?
May 8, 2024
But some consumers may be overestimating their potential savings. According to one analysis, while insurance for EVs varies a lot by make, EVs still cost around 20% more to insure in 2024 than internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles do.
While EV price tags are dropping, electric vehicles still have higher sales prices in general than ICE vehicles, which makes them more expensive to replace after accidents and more costly to insure. Between September 2022 and September 2023, the average price paid for EVs fell from $65,000 to $50,683, but that was still higher than the average price for all new vehicles ($47,899).

Repairs
EVs are more expensive to repair than ICE vehicles, for a handful of reasons. For starters, the replacement parts market hasn't kept pace with EV growth. There are also fewer repair shops and technicians qualified to work on EVs than on gas-powered cars. So parts cost around 25% more, and labor is more expensive, too. In 2023, EV repairs cost $1,322 more than ICE repairs on average.
On top of that, EVs have a major battery problem. While the battery in an EV accounts for the majority of the vehicle's value, it's more vulnerable to damage than the battery in an ICE vehicle and more expensive and dangerous to repair. The job can require a specialist.
EV battery issues are especially complex when it comes to Teslas, because some models have the battery parts glued together and sealed into the car, rendering them difficult to inspect and sometimes impossible to replace.
In 2023, the cost to replace an EV battery ran anywhere from $4,000 to $20,000, not including a labor bill that could be as high as $2,000. So even for an EV with minimal battery damage, a write-off could be more cost-effective.
https://www.insurancethoughtleadersh...lding-evs-back
Appreciate 2
      Yesterday, 09:24 AM   #8344
gblansten
Brigadier General
gblansten's Avatar
2099
Rep
4,287
Posts

Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Thick ascending limb

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Man View Post
Pay attention, you might learn something.

Just seeing a guy with IBS.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:02 PM   #8345
SteVTEC
Lieutenant
SteVTEC's Avatar
290
Rep
436
Posts

Drives: '11 335i vert
Join Date: May 2006
Location: DC burbs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
There are many articles showing that it is more expensive to insure EV's than it is similar ICE vehicles. No this is not due to all the EV fires or all the dead EV drivers, it due to the average loss's as determined by insurance actuarial tables. Insurance companies don't give a dam about YouTube fire videos. It's all about the loss pay outs and today's EV is more likely to be a total write off than a repairable wreck.

Are High Insurance Premiums Holding EVs Back?
May 8, 2024
But some consumers may be overestimating their potential savings. According to one analysis, while insurance for EVs varies a lot by make, EVs still cost around 20% more to insure in 2024 than internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles do.
While EV price tags are dropping, electric vehicles still have higher sales prices in general than ICE vehicles, which makes them more expensive to replace after accidents and more costly to insure. Between September 2022 and September 2023, the average price paid for EVs fell from $65,000 to $50,683, but that was still higher than the average price for all new vehicles ($47,899).

Repairs
EVs are more expensive to repair than ICE vehicles, for a handful of reasons. For starters, the replacement parts market hasn't kept pace with EV growth. There are also fewer repair shops and technicians qualified to work on EVs than on gas-powered cars. So parts cost around 25% more, and labor is more expensive, too. In 2023, EV repairs cost $1,322 more than ICE repairs on average.
On top of that, EVs have a major battery problem. While the battery in an EV accounts for the majority of the vehicle's value, it's more vulnerable to damage than the battery in an ICE vehicle and more expensive and dangerous to repair. The job can require a specialist.
EV battery issues are especially complex when it comes to Teslas, because some models have the battery parts glued together and sealed into the car, rendering them difficult to inspect and sometimes impossible to replace.
In 2023, the cost to replace an EV battery ran anywhere from $4,000 to $20,000, not including a labor bill that could be as high as $2,000. So even for an EV with minimal battery damage, a write-off could be more cost-effective.
https://www.insurancethoughtleadersh...lding-evs-back
In my area, tons and tons and tons and tons of cars are running around with body damage, often unrepaired. I just realized recently that I have NEVER seen a Tesla with body damage on the road ever. It seems they're just written off.
Appreciate 2
      Today, 04:05 AM   #8346
JimmyTheHand
Private
45
Rep
76
Posts

Drives: iX3 on order, Porsche Macan
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
In my area, tons and tons and tons and tons of cars are running around with body damage, often unrepaired. I just realized recently that I have NEVER seen a Tesla with body damage on the road ever. It seems they're just written off.
One of the problems with EVs is the new/new to region manufacturers don't have dealers around to do repairs and often there is no information on how to repair them/what level of damage is safe/dangerous so independent body shops can fix them.

Then there is the issue of the system that kills the battery connection in the event of a collision, objective being to isolate the high voltage batteries from the wires so if any exposed wires exist they don't have lethal voltages exposed - this often results demands in new battery even if just a new Pyrofuse is needed.

If companies want to sell EVs they will have to sort sort it out the insurance issues and the risks associated batteries that generate fear.
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST