BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > M Models in the Future.... Black Label? Red Label? Trend?

07-25-2022, 01:13 PM   #1
joao.toscano
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

Garage List
M Models in the Future.... Black Label? Red Label? Trend?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Rumor has it that BMW is introducing new names for its models. There could be a trend behind this.

Crass color change at BMW's performance department

BMW M is removing the colors from its logo – at least on new models. The performance department thus follows the simplicity zeitgeist.

Blue, dark blue and red - these are the colors of BMW M. The M logo bears these colors, as does the current BMW Motorsport emblem, which is only available this year and is also available at an additional cost because BMW M is celebrating its 50th birthday. celebrating birthday. And also some seams, for example on the handy M steering wheel, are executed in blue, dark blue and red. This is now a thing of the past with the new M models: a plain black replaces the colorful variety.

On the iX M60, BMW M is showing its now black logo for the first time, which is surrounded by a bronze-colored border.

Already on the iX M60
The BMW iX M60 has preceded it - the black logo with a bronze frame is already emblazoned on its rear. BMW M sales and marketing boss Timo Resch has now confirmed that all new M models will have the decolorized logo. Next up is the XM. Current series such as the M4 are allowed to keep the colorful logo popular with fans. New model generations and new platforms always get the black logo, which means that in a few years there will only be this one. Resch thinks the dark logo is cool, but doesn't give a timetable for its use. He emphasizes that the three previous M colors will continue to be an important identifier of the brand – just in a different place.

BMW and Texaco as origin
The original color design could already be seen in 1973 at the racing premiere of the BMW 3.0 CSL, which grew into an icon under the nickname patrol car. The colors were chosen by the BMW interior designer at the time, Wolfgang Seehaus. According to his own statements, BMW exterior designer Manfred Renn was also involved in the selection, but there is no evidence of this. Jochen Neerpasch, race director and part-managing director of BMW Motorsport GmbH at the time, explained that Seehaus also chose the colors because they were easy to distinguish on black-and-white photos. Originally, the M colors were blue, violet and red. Blue stands for the BMW brand and red should come from the logo of the former mineral oil company Texaco, which has belonged to Chevron since 2001. In the 1970s, BMW negotiated a motorsport sponsorship partnership with Texaco. When the negotiations failed, the Bavarians had already integrated the Texaco red into their M logo. And violet was simply the mixture of BMW blue and Texaco red - at some point violet then became the dark blue that is still valid today. The M logo designed for BMW by the Italian design studio Italdesign led by Giorgio Giugiaro was only added years later – with the first car developed by M. That was the now legendary M1 from 1978. The M logo designed for BMW by the Italian design studio Italdesign led by Giorgio Giugiaro was only added years later – with the first car developed by M. That was the now legendary M1 from 1978. The M logo designed for BMW by the Italian design studio Italdesign led by Giorgio Giugiaro was only added years later – with the first car developed by M. That was the now legendary M1 from 1978.

In March 2020, BMW M had already simplified its logo - since then it is no longer three-dimensional and the M is white.

As early as 2020, BMW caused a stir with a logo discoloration: the Bavarians had presented their new company logo . The logo, largely drawn without a colored background, was emblazoned on the front hood of the electric study i4. Apparently it didn't belong there: BMW hurriedly announced that this logo would only be used for communication purposes, the cars would keep the classic logo. Rumor has it that the decision to leave the vehicles with their old logo was made at the top of BMW.

Company logos are an iconic part of every brand - but from time to time designers adapt these logos to the constantly changing taste of the time. Almost all car manufacturers change their logos every few years - mostly subtly. BMW M, on the other hand, is now changing its logo very clearly: the colors blue, dark blue and red are disappearing, and the three slanted bars and the letter M are covered in plain black. The only change in color is the bronze-colored logo border. After all: BMW's performance department would like to continue to use the three M cult colors in the design of its vehicles.

HGT'2022 |
M&M-PerformanceCC
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 01:40 PM   #2
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Prior post:
https://g29.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1928014
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2022, 01:45 PM   #3
joao.toscano
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
Yeah... according some sources this topic today it was in Auto news in German TV .. BMW CEO talked about it... Topic was changes for 2025

HGT'2022 |
M&M-PerformanceCC
Appreciate 1
BMWGirlFL6277.50