BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > New member, questions about ordering my 125i

06-25-2012, 04:08 AM   #23
diesel20
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '15 F30 328i '15 F12 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinHattingh View Post
It's great to hear a direct GTI comparison, I've wondered a few times how they'd stack up. I was quite heavily pushed towards the VW side by family when looking at my 118i (specifically the Polo GTI), but of course I stuck to my guns. Good to hear though from someone with real-life experience that the usually mythical Golf GTI is outshined by the 125i.

Where in SA are you?
In jhb. So whatever I choose needs to be Turbo'd!

Look the GTI has been a fantastic car and I've been incredibly happy with it. But I feel the 125i is an "upgrade" even though it's similar money. It's just a more premium product. And it's RWD, regardless of how much power they give the G7 GTI, the bmw will always put it's power down better. (I've driven enough cars with fancy diffs to try overcome torque steer, it's just not as good as RWD)

I don't think you can even compare a polo GTI to a 1 series from a premium point of view. Obviously you spent quite a bit more $$ on the 118i, but it was worthwhile I'm sure!

I'm in JHB. Good to see another South African on here!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 04:10 AM   #24
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Hi all
I have been back to my dealer today to sort out the extras with the order and get a part replaced on the old 120i. They gave me a Valencia orange 118i M sport to use for the half day. The HK sound system in it was absolutely fantastic. Glad I speced it. I was told that my 125i M sport is being built in the first week of August. So I expect a late September delivery due to shipping times. The woes of living in Aus.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 06:02 AM   #25
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel20 View Post
Another vote for cloth/alcantara I see! My concern (and no offence to anybody who has this option) is that the cloth inserts on the doors look a little cheap in some of the pictures. I haven't been able to see the combo in person, the first M sport 1 series have just arrived here and the only cars around have leather. If the material has a decent quality to it then it wont be a problem, going for leather just seems "safer" from a resale point of view, although it's quite pricey so I think I'm gonna drop it and go for the standard combo.

At least it's a bit different from the common leather and has the nice blue touches to tie up. Is it not a bit of overkill though, a blue exterior, blue interior trim finishers and bits of blue in the cloth?

Storage pack I don't know what that is? (maybe standard on south african cars?)

Visibility pack is I assume the one with the adaptive xenons (have spent lots of times in cars with them, wouldn't spend the money over normal xenons)

Nav pro is nice but just too expensive. Please tell me about the extended info display?
The cloth insert in the doors do not look cheap at all. I would say the oposite. Believe me, I am concerned about quality and feel of materials myself, inside and out :-) And it really works well together with the aluminium hexagon trim. The blue threads in the cloth and the stichings are very discrete, and will definitely not be overkill together with estoril exterior.

Different countries have different options put together. These are from the Norwegian importer. Anyway - Storage pack is option 493 and consists of a lot of useful items, like luggage net in the trunk, net on the back of the front seats, extra 12V outlets in centre console and trunk, rear door pockets, hooks in the trunk, inserts in the cup holders + more.

Visibility pack is option 7VD and consists of automatic inner mirror, heated outer mirrors, fog lights (also included i M-sport => price reduction), rain sensor, fellable rear headrests.

I agree about the xenons. Most important is to have them. The adaptive function is marginal, allthough fun to see it work.

By Extended info display I meant option 6WA Full black panel display. It shows graphics of fuel consumption, additional information from your phone book, navigation details, entertainment details etc. Its included in Navi pro, otherwise an option.

Since you already considered leather interior, I would no doubt take the navi pro instead!

The H/K is great btw.

Have fun by ordering options

Last edited by Superspeed; 06-25-2012 at 06:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 06:31 AM   #26
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superspeed View Post
The cloth insert in the doors do not look cheap at all. I would say the oposite. Believe me, I am concerned about quality and feel of materials myself, inside and out :-) And it really works well together with the aluminium hexagon trim. The blue threads in the cloth and the stichings are very discrete, and will definitely not be overkill together with estoril exterior.

Different countries have different options put together. These are from the Norwegian importer. Anyway - Storage pack is option 493 and consists of a lot of useful items, like luggage net in the trunk, net on the back of the front seats, extra 12V outlets in centre console and trunk, rear door pockets, hooks in the trunk, inserts in the cup holders + more.

Visibility pack is option 7VD and consists of automatic inner mirror, heated outer mirrors, fog lights (also included i M-sport => price reduction), rain sensor, fellable rear headrests.

I agree about the xenons. Most important is to have them. The adaptive function is marginal, allthough fun to see it work.

By Extended info display I meant option 6WA Full black panel display. It shows graphics of fuel consumption, additional information from your phone book, navigation details, entertainment details etc. Its included in Navi pro, otherwise an option.

Since you already considered leather interior, I would no doubt take the navi pro instead!

The H/K is great btw.

what he said ^^

seriously though- try and get a viewing of one of these interiors. you will love it, i'm sure
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 06:56 AM   #27
dubman
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125iM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeech View Post
seriously though- try and get a viewing of one of these interiors. you will love it, i'm sure
I don't understand why BMW don't offer this in Australia. We only get leather with the M sport package.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 01:54 AM   #28
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Unfortunately, it gets very hot and humid in many parts of Aus and that can effect the alcantara's look and wear, compound this with people here who do not understand what alcantara is and think of it as a cheap imitation suede material, not high quality Italian made material designed for movement whilst providing grip when used on racing seats, so you can see why BMW Aust do not have it as 'standard'. The idiots either want cloth when buying basic cars or Leather in luxury brands so no choice. Your dealer is reluctant to tell you that it can be ordered through the 'BMW individual' product desk but it only comes as a separate item with M logo (BMW speak for if you want it you have to pay a lot more and wait longer) which is stupid. My dealer said it would add 4 weeks to the build time and cost around $4000.00 more to have it changed or in other words don't bother. I must point out that I prefer the black Leather sport seats and the interior, it looks great!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 04:57 AM   #29
diesel20
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superspeed View Post

The H/K is great btw.

Cool thanks for the info! Really warming to the idea of the alcantara interior, something different. Has the Little M 3 colour tag on them which is cool as well!

Storage pack comes standard in S.A.

Visibility pack is different in S.A., actually called driving lights package. includes adaptive xenons and high beam assist, not worth it.

If anybody here is interested, here is the S.A price list that shows what's standard and what our packs are.
http://www.bmw.co.za/products/automo..._April2012.pdf

Yoh, choosing the options is difficult! But really fun to build a car to exactly how I want it. (just wish more of the stuff actually came standard, cause I know a lot of it wont count in my trade in)

Are the majority of you guys going for the extended info display? Not sure if I really see the value but it's not big money either.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 05:07 AM   #30
diesel20
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeech View Post
what he said ^^

Would love to but south africa has just received it's very first shipment of M sport packs and they all have leather from what I've been able to see. Was actually really lucky to see one in Estoril blue (was sold when I went back to the dealership the next day.) Their demo is white, no xenons, 17" wheels and leather. Doesn't do the car justice!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 06:59 AM   #31
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel20 View Post
Yoh, choosing the options is difficult! But really fun to build a car to exactly how I want it. (just wish more of the stuff actually came standard, cause I know a lot of it wont count in my trade in)

Are the majority of you guys going for the extended info display? Not sure if I really see the value but it's not big money either.
I don't know for how long you intend to keep the car, just remember that you primarely buy it for yourself, not for the next owner.
I love gadgets, and having something that not each and every other has, contributes to the extreme satisfaction of the car!
Black panel is definitely not a necessity, but gives a coolfactor you will appreciate (if you are just as enthusiastic as me ).
      06-30-2012, 05:57 AM   #32
Zimbo
Rep
Drives: M135i

Hey diesel20

Did you manage to decide whether to go for the standard alcantara/cloth combo with the M-Sport line, or tick the (pricey!) leather upgrade? I am in a similar situation to you - all the dealer cars which are coming have all got the leather option ticked, and it is going to be impossible to see it in the flesh before having to make the decision. Only thing I have seen is a small sample of the combo that my dealer has in their sample cabinet. My opinion so far is that, on resale value (and by this, I mean the value as per the dealer's trade-in/retail value booklet), without the leather you will lose a few bucks. However, I think the alcantara trim looks sportier, complements the character of the M-Sport line better, and given that it seems there are going to be so few cars with this option in the SA market, you might actually get a premium on private resale value!
Appreciate 0