BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > iPhone Bluetooth connection

05-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
NeilC
Rep
Drives: 116ED

iPhone Bluetooth connection

Hi,

I have recently aquired my 116ED, and it has the basic Bluetooth and USB compatibility. Apart from having to shell out 42 quid for a y-cable to deliver inferior sound (thats another matter, they should look at re-writing their advertising material and brochures, as they are very missleading in this regard), I am having problems connecting my iPhone 4 to the bluetooth handsfree.

I find that whenever I get into the car, I need to reset my phone (turn off fully, and restart, which takes a minute or two) in order to get a connection.

If I don't, and go to the Settings, General, Bluetooth on the phone, I see the BMW listed under Devices, but its status is 'Not Connected'. If I press to connect I get the "Connection Unsuccessful" message. If I reset the phone, it then connects without having to go into any menus.

Is this a problem anyone else has experienced, and if so, has anyone found a solution?

Thanks,

Neil
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
eezzee
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F20

I have the same set up and it seems to work fine. On a couple of occasions had to disconnect and reconnect.

Perhaps a way to fix, is to select the car from the Bluetooth connected setting on you iPhone and 'forget the device' then make a fresh Bluetooth connection.

There was also an iOS update about a month ago, in case not updated.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
Fanis
Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: 116i (F20) Auto

Garage List
Mine works perfectly since I got the car in December. Maybe the firmware of the BT in the car needs an update.
2005-07: BMW 325ti (E46)
2004-05: BMW 318i (E36)
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
quadra
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 118i F20

I don't have any problem with using BT in the car with my iPhone as well. As eezzee suggested, maybe you need to do a 'forget device' and start again.

Good Luck.

On another matter about the Y cable. I was pretty cheese off to find out I need to shell out £42 for a bloody cable when my wife's Honda are perfectly happy to accept a normal Apple USB cable. Searching through Amazon and eBay, I found out you can get a third party one for about a third of the price. So far it works perfectly fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 06:06 AM   #5
Stevieboy
Registered
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 116i Sport

I got my y-cable from amazon for about £12. It was the sales guy at my dealership who told me to get it there. Only pain is you can't see your phone and use any of your apps whilst driving but at least you've got music! Would have been better to have a longer cable. If anyone knows of an extension cable or longer y cable let me know

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 02:05 AM   #6
NeilC
Rep
Drives: 116ED

Thanks for all the replies,

I did a hard reboot of my iPhone 4, and also did the 'forget device' and removed the phone from the iDrive. I then reconnected, and it seemed to work fine the first couple of times, but then it refused to connect automatically.

It is now slightly better, as I don't have to reboot the phone to get it working, I just need to turn the bluetooth off and on again and then manually connect.

I tried my wife's iPhone 3GS, and it seems to work fine, but I have only tested it a couple of times.

This if very frustrating, but thanks for all your suggestions,

Neil

Last edited by NeilC; 05-20-2012 at 02:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 03:45 AM   #7
fullkoll
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F20 / 118dA

My iPhone 3GS works every time too without any problems and so does my wife´s iPhone 4 - not at the same time, though
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 06:24 AM   #8
eezzee
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilC
Thanks for all the replies,

I did a hard reboot of my iPhone 4, and also did the 'forget device' and removed the phone from the iDrive. I then reconnected, and it seemed to work fine the first couple of times, but then it refused to connect automatically.

It is now slightly better, as I don't have to reboot the phone to get it working, I just need to turn the bluetooth off and on again and then manually connect.

I tried my wife's iPhone 3GS, and it seems to work fine, but I have only tested it a couple of times.

This if very frustrating, but thanks for all your suggestions,

Neil
In that case, it's worth to reset iPhone to factory settings and re-sync with iTunes.
Appreciate 0