BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > My new 118i Alpine White

05-09-2012, 04:06 AM   #1
manteroo
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW F20 118i Auto

My new 118i Alpine White

Well, just got a call from the Dealership. My new car is ready for delivery either tomorrow or Friday.

This is a replacement car for my Midnight Blue which I had so many issues with. BMW are giving me a brand new car with 95% matched spec to what I had......

118i
8 Speed Auto Steptronic
Glass sliding sunroof
i-Drive with BMW Professional Radio
Multi-function steering
Black leather seats
17inch Turbine Rims

These are the core extras on the car.

Will post pics once I have the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 06:56 AM   #2
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
Good news!
Not bad getting the new car feeling twice by paying once
      05-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
Viva87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F20 118i sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by manteroo
Well, just got a call from the Dealership. My new car is ready for delivery either tomorrow or Friday.

This is a replacement car for my Midnight Blue which I had so many issues with. BMW are giving me a brand new car with 95% matched spec to what I had......

118i
8 Speed Auto Steptronic
Glass sliding sunroof
Multi-function steering
Black leather seats
17inch Turbine Rims

What issues ?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 01:08 AM   #4
manteroo
Rep

1. Vibration through steering at 110 - 120km/h
2. Plastic trim on dash not flush / damamged clip
3. Air vent system was "forced" into place and damaged the dashboard - need to replace entire dashboard !!!!
4. Bonnet was higher on one side then other when closed
5. i-Drive LCD started to flicker from time to time - happened 3 times.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
skippy88
Private
Wales
Rep
Drives: 118i M Sport, Alpine White

Garage List
Hi manteroo

I was surprised about the faults on your original motor but glad to hear it has been replaced; let's hope the new car is as it should be (and I'm sure it will)
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
Lexybhoy1
Rep
Drives: VW Passat 2.0 TSI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by manteroo View Post

118i
8 Speed Auto Steptronic
Glass sliding sunroof
Multi-function steering
Black leather seats
17inch Turbine Rims

Manteroo, and here i thought we were going to be brothers in midnight blue, alas you have deserted me.

Tell me, for the short time you had the car, how has the midnight blue colour been received ?

Lex
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 12:35 AM   #7
manteroo
Rep

At first I did not like the colour too much but the car had all the spec I was looking for.

After having the car detailed the gloss really showed the lines beautifully and the colour started growing on me. I got LOADS of compliments on the colour from many people- especially the woman !!

It is stunning and changes shades in the sun as you drive. You must have it detailed properly though with proper wax sealants etc.etc.

Here is an excellent site giving advise on washing / waxing etc.....

http://www.crazydetailer.co.za/index...2424dd74b5ed7d

There is a downside to having darker colours and that is maintenance. I keep 2 microfibre clothes at all times in a Ziplock bag. One for top half of car and the other for bottom. Always buff top first and then bottom.

Anyway - I am sure you will enjoy your new car, it is one of the better looking colours on the F20.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 12:51 AM   #8
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by manteroo View Post
At first I did not like the colour too much but the car had all the spec I was looking for.

After having the car detailed the gloss really showed the lines beautifully and the colour started growing on me. I got LOADS of compliments on the colour from many people- especially the woman !!

It is stunning and changes shades in the sun as you drive. You must have it detailed properly though with proper wax sealants etc.etc.

Here is an excellent site giving advise on washing / waxing etc.....

http://www.crazydetailer.co.za/index...2424dd74b5ed7d

There is a downside to having darker colours and that is maintenance. I keep 2 microfibre clothes at all times in a Ziplock bag. One for top half of car and the other for bottom. Always buff top first and then bottom.

Anyway - I am sure you will enjoy your new car, it is one of the better looking colours on the F20.
You guys have a cleaning disorder. lol
      05-11-2012, 04:22 AM   #9
MartinHattingh
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 2.0i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
You guys have a cleaning disorder. lol
I'm with Manteroo on this one, actually I haven't spent the proper required time on mine yet (have been crazy busy from my business side), so the most I've done is give it two coats of wax. First an underlying synthetic in the form of Meguiars NXT Tech Wax 2.0, and then a week after (with a microfibre wash inbetween) a coat of Gold Class carnauba wax. This is in addition to washing extremely carefully to prevent scratching, and buffing the headlamps with PlastX.

What I really need to do is clay bar the entire paint surface, seeing as there's a fine coat of greasy speckles on the one side, then repeat the waxing excercise. It's pretty much an entire day's work though. Luckily, Alpine white is not as sensitive to surface imperfections as darker colours, so it can wait!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #10
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinHattingh View Post
I'm with Manteroo on this one, actually I haven't spent the proper required time on mine yet (have been crazy busy from my business side), so the most I've done is give it two coats of wax. First an underlying synthetic in the form of Meguiars NXT Tech Wax 2.0, and then a week after (with a microfibre wash inbetween) a coat of Gold Class carnauba wax. This is in addition to washing extremely carefully to prevent scratching, and buffing the headlamps with PlastX.

What I really need to do is clay bar the entire paint surface, seeing as there's a fine coat of greasy speckles on the one side, then repeat the waxing excercise. It's pretty much an entire day's work though. Luckily, Alpine white is not as sensitive to surface imperfections as darker colours, so it can wait!
Don't forget the toothbrush for cleaning those difficult spots.
      05-12-2012, 06:58 AM   #11
Brenyaman
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: F20 120D Aut Urban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Don't forget the toothbrush for cleaning those difficult spots.
And those CSI little white brushes for the even more unaccessible spots...
Appreciate 0