BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > M140i DME recall SI B12 01 19

04-13-2019, 05:07 AM   #1
V-Eight
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 G80 Comp.Xdrive

M140i DME recall SI B12 01 19

Does Anyone had the DME reprogram while servicing the car?

Some say that there's a huge (smooth) different when the car gets this update:

- smooth gearbox
- less engine power and response
- no more pops and bangs from the exhaust

As mine is on service next monday, I would like to know how to act in acse. Mine isn't on warranty anymore, so I think I could say "NO" to this update.

Does anyone did it? How the car feels?

The DME recall has the following code: SI B12 01 19

Thanks a lot
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 04:33 AM   #2
V-Eight
Captain
Rep

For those who are intersted....

The recall I mentioned is about all the B58 engined cars produced since 07/2016 to 11/2018.

Mine is on service today, but it's not affected to the problem and it's not on the list to do it.

The problem of this upgrading is to avoid the possibility to damage the engine while stationary (P-N-Neutral gear) imporperly using the throttle and putting the engine at high revs for the time needed to overheat and damage it. The update doesn't allow you to overstep 4.000 rpm with the gerabox in P-N or neutral for the manuals.

But above this, there are other "issues" that some M340i ( especially with MPPS kit), M240i/M140i owners are claiming:

loss of sound
the car seems to have less HP than before
gear change more smooth
loss of crack and bangs from the exhaust
a more smooth and neautral feel of throttle response compared to what their car was previuos the service.

So, pay attention. I'll be surely go for the update if BMW calls me...but I want to be sure about the effects for the car.

I read about an M140i owner who made the update that made a drag race with another another M140i, both stock, both with the same spec and with the same type of gas on the tank. The updated car was considerely slower....

I know that maybe is only a paranoic view of things...but for sure....a lot of car are suffering feel changes that weren't before the update.

So keep in mind to ask your dealer about it. Fortunately, mine is not going to have to do the update, at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 04:46 AM   #3
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

The manuals have a rev limiter in first gear with clutch pedal to the floor as well. It works very well as a launch control! :-)

Regarding the changed motor characteristics, it could be temporary. Modern engine control systems are adaptive, and take some time to map themselves. Until then, it could have performance limitations. The same goes for brand new cars. They take some time to unleash the true potential.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 12:47 PM   #4
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Eight View Post
The problem of this upgrading is to avoid the possibility to damage the engine while stationary (P-N-Neutral gear) imporperly using the throttle and putting the engine at high revs for the time needed to overheat and damage it. The update doesn't allow you to overstep 4.000 rpm with the gerabox in P-N or neutral for the manuals.
It looks like idiot-proof (rather than fool-proof). To kill their car while stationary could be the best (and safest) thing those people can do with it. Do they know their customers? Or do they just judge by themselves?

It somehow reminded me of a cartoon(/anime?) quote ("Najica Blitz Tactics"? Or something similar...). A female driver (confused): "I can't switch a gear!". The male next to her: "It's not the gear lever, actually.".
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 10:17 AM   #5
V-Eight
Captain
Rep

Mine went on service last monday. No update were in progam for my chassi, so, I can assume that is only for certain markets, but are "affected" to this "blind recall" all B58 produced since 07/2016, especially U.S. version.
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2019, 02:50 PM   #6
Mr.revmatch
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW m140i, BMW e36 323i, rx-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Eight View Post
Mine went on service last monday. No update were in progam for my chassi, so, I can assume that is only for certain markets, but are "affected" to this "blind recall" all B58 produced since 07/2016, especially U.S. version.
I have to go on service 2 in the next couple of months I hope they will finally manage the problem with the manual m140's, as it is revmatching while upshifting really fast... 🤦🏻*♂️
Appreciate 0