BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > New EGR Valve, still have errors

09-03-2023, 01:12 PM   #1
Lukyky414
France
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 LCI

New EGR Valve, still have errors

Hello,

I recently had an error on my F20 118d (B47D20) for my EGR Valve.

I tried to open it for a good cleaning, but was surprised by the coolant hose.
(Other engine only have a vacuum hose). (Small tips, you need a very long torx T30 screwdriver to get it out, at leat 250mm but 300mm is better).
I only pop it out of its place, a quick clean of the valve itself and the exhaust pipe where it sits. This didn't solve the problem so I ordered a new EGR Valve with the same OEM number, for around 150€.

Now I have fitted this new EGR valve. I have followed the instruction, and used Itsa to retract the valve during the installation.
I didn't do anything in Ista except:
- The step to retract the EGR Valve for an easy installation without risk of breaking it
- The clean of all error code.

Did I miss something? Because some error keeps coming:
- S255C00 - EGR valve, position control: Valve open too wide
- 272F00 - Exhaust-gas recirculation valve: Mechanically faulty near open position

Today, I pop it out again to test it. The step in Ista to retract a bit the valve did not work at all.
So I took it all out, dismantle it to see if any gear was damaged. Everything is fine and nothin is stuck, I begin to put it back on my engine.

1st test: I only connect the power, launch the retraction on ISTA, and this time it worked!!!
2nd test: I put back the two coolant hose on the valve, launch the rectation on ISTA, and this time it worked but it was very long, as if the valve was really tired.

I don't know if the DDE controler unit doesn't output enough voltage to retract the valve.

Any idea?
Did I miss a valve calibration on Ista? Or did I miss something else?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 01:54 AM   #2
Lukyky414
France
Rep

I found this morning another Ista function.
I do not have the name ont op of my head, I could confirm tonight if necessary.
It was a reset after changing the EGR valve. It put my car on sleep mode for approximatly 5min.
This step did not help.

Did I broke the new EGR valve motor maybe?
Or was it very bad quality? (I hope not: I only ordered a part with the same OEM serial number)

My car EGR: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_5660
Two possibility: EGR-Valve (11718513132) or EGR-Valve Exch. (11719886715).
I don't know which one to choose, so I randomly selected the first one, and I ordered this part with the same OEM:
https://fr.ridex.eu/product/15226395
(Ordered on Auto-Doc).

Last edited by Lukyky414; 09-04-2023 at 02:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 12:47 PM   #3
DomMuc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

did you put the new valve in installation position via ista .. and inititialize it after installation with ista.. if no you could have possibly broke the new part....
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 05:23 PM   #4
Lukyky414
France
Rep

Thanks you for your answer.

I was very carefull and I only put the valve in its installation position thanks to Ista.

I could get more info tomorrow but the first error (Valve open too wide):
The error say it is open too wide at 13.6~13.8%.
But I know, measuring from the DDE ECU, that the valve is always at 13.6~13.8% when closed!
The closed position did not reset!

Anyone has any idea on how to really reset the valve close position?
I tried 4 hours ago the valve reset adaptation function, but it only reboot my car during 5min. After this it is still reading 13.6%

I need help I will become crazy driving to work in limp mode :/
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 04:48 AM   #5
Lukyky414
France
Rep

To anyone that need to change his EGR valve, on a N47 or B47 engine:

- Do not buy any adaptable valve. Buy from BMW.
They are not calibrated in the same way, and the car will si it as always open, or the positions will not match.
- Buy yourself a long torx T30 screwdriver, and least 250mm bit, I have 300mm and it is perfect. (Specifically for B47 engine, with the Valve at the front).
- Dot it whith a cooled down engine, and open the coolant liquid cap to release the pressure.
- Have Ista and run the "Reset adaptation" and select Air Mass System or Exhaust, then EGR valve. This will reboot the car for 5min. Do this BEFORE the valve change.
- Have Ista connected, and run the function for valve replacement during the installation, to retract the valve a bit before putting it in its place.

For my situation:
The valve is always considered open at 13.5%.
I also had another error on the EGR valve :257E00, Open circuit or short to ground.
Didn't car enough, and this drained my battery while I was at work.

I am tired of driving with this egr problem like I only had 30Horsepower.
I am tired to dissassamble the intake to take the valve out, tired to search everything on ista.
My car is at BMW now, they will search what component caused the short to ground and drained my battery.
I also launched the procedure to change the EGR radiator concerning BMW from 2015 / 2016.
Appreciate 0