BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > M140i with some mods

02-05-2017, 07:55 AM   #1
Fidiman
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d e82 M Sportpaket

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [10.00]
M140i with some mods

Hi all

Some of you may know me because of my previous car: I was on 1Addicts too but with a E82 120d. I've modded this car a lot, did all the job myself and learnt a lot (sometime with some errors too).

I worked on the chassis a lot. I did the famous M3 arms (front and rear), E93 M3 + Powerflex antiroll bars, Powerflex Black rear subframe bushings inserts, Powerflex rear bumpstop, KW / ST XTA coilovers, F21 M135i front brakes + Endless MX72 pads, etc ... I put a bit more HP in it and added Recaro bucket seats (I really loved them).

Car was becoming older and older and I wanted more during my spirited drives (chassis was incredible, but the was a lack of horsepower).

Then I decided to stop putting money in this car and bought a new one at the end of 2016. I picked her up the 24th of December. What a nice christmas present, isn't it? I went to the F21 M140i route. I'm waiting a lot from this car and the ride. My previous build was such a bomb into corners I'm already planning some mods for the new one in order to be more stable.

Here are few pictures of my F21. I've done some cosmetic modifications like M Performance bits. In addition, I reused my OZ Ultraleggera trackwheels for the winter mount.

Car ride feels smoother than in my previous E82 and quiter too. Motor is incredible: it has torque even in low rpm. The ZF8HP is very fast and I really enjoy all of the new stuff BMW put with these F2x generation.

Now, I'm thinking about KW Clubsport coilovers and a limited slip differential (or an autolocking diff). I hope I will have some inputs here

Cheers from France,

Fidiman

M Sport package, Stage 1, CDV, BMC airfilter, VMR vb3, ST XTA, BMW Performance stuff, M3 arms, E93 M3 anti-roll bars F and R, ...

French community of 1 and 2 Series: One-Two-Bimmers
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2017, 08:05 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidiman View Post
Now, I'm thinking about KW Clubsport coilovers and a limited slip differential (or an autolocking diff). I hope I will have some inputs here
Quaife LSD, KW coilovers and M3 front control arms will probably make it very capable.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 12:46 PM   #3
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Great upgrade!
Do you go on tracks from time to time or just enjoy the back roads?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 04:04 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Nice!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 12:24 AM   #5
Fidiman
Captain
France
Rep

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Quaife LSD, KW coilovers and M3 front control arms will probably make it very capable.
M3 front control arms will be the mod I won't discuss for sure: I'm convicted I have to do it and in this direction. Maybe later why not putting some Rogue Engineering silentblocs on it, in order to get the front of the car even sharper?

Regarding to the differential question, I'm actually reflecting of the route to go: or Quaife with their exchange programme or M Performance which propose a Drexler unit or even another company like Drexler themselve. Only problem I see: if I have an issue with the differential, I won't be able to fix it myself...

Then for the coilovers, I think both v3 and ClubSport solutions are good. CS Will allow more front wheels clearance and I will get more or less the same feeling I had with my previous ST XTA kit (front suspension was exactly the same as ClubSport).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca View Post
Great upgrade!
Do you go on tracks from time to time or just enjoy the back roads?
As I don't need the car to go to work, I use it only for spirited driving and for enjoyment. Thus I use it mainly on back roads and one or two times a year on track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Nice!
Thanks Mike

M Sport package, Stage 1, CDV, BMC airfilter, VMR vb3, ST XTA, BMW Performance stuff, M3 arms, E93 M3 anti-roll bars F and R, ...

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 02:07 AM   #6
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Regarding to the differential question, I'm actually reflecting of the route to go: or Quaife with their exchange programme or M Performance which propose a Drexler unit or even another company like Drexler themselve. Only problem I see: if I have an issue with the differential, I won't be able to fix it myself...
I would go for Quaife since it is cheaper, and they seem to be very reliable.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 10:06 AM   #7
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

Nice upgrade my friend

Very nice looking car!
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 07:39 AM   #8
bimmermasterpieces
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hello Fidiman

Have you seen this?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 10:56 AM   #9
Fidiman
Captain
France
Rep

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam
Quote:
I would go for Quaife since it is cheaper, and they seem to be very reliable.
I have spoken to some people and they advised me to work first on the chassis with some good coilovers, bushings and then go to the LSD route.

In addition, Powerflex released their Black bushes for our F2x ... I will detail later my ideas for the car.

Only "problem": I have the opportunity to get an OEM differential brand new for 500€. I will "only" have to put a Drexler or Quaife in it. Really interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp123 View Post
Nice upgrade my friend

Very nice looking car!
Thanks Sp123 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmermasterpieces View Post
Hello Fidiman

Have you seen this?
Hi Bimmermasterpieces! What stuff?

Appreciate 0