BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > DIY Guides and Instructions > DIY Coding 1 series 2013

08-27-2015, 10:01 AM   #1
ncore00
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1 Series hatch

DIY Coding 1 series 2013

Hi,
Been reading some coding on BMW's apparently you can add new functionalities like folding mirror and such, just wondering how can I do this? Been trying to find this E-SYS so I can download it but I can't find it anywhere :/

Wanna add digital speed, and automatic window closure when you lock the car.

What do I need? I know I need a laptop, software (where can I get it), cable to connect from car to laptop (what type).

Any tips and guides please, would really appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 03:37 AM   #2
c_surmeli
Rep
Drives: BMW 1.16i

Hello.

Coding is actually a fun & simple task. Basically after some setup, you just flip some switches to activate the functionalities you desire through your computer. The key is to know which switch to flip since the system is crowded with only code names but no meaningful titles.

Anyways, here is the URL to a PDF I've used to code my Bimmer.

http://www.bmwesys.com/guides/Beginn...e%20Coding.pdf

This PDF provides both the stuff you gonna need to download and instructions you'll need on using them. So it's a good documentation to start.

As I've told above, the coding E-SYS lists are just coded numbers and letters so you gonna need a map. If you Google `BMW 1 Series F20 Cheat Sheet`, loads of results will be displayed. I'm not providing a specific one because various sources provide different modules with some minor differences. But it's easy to acquire one.

Also do note that the coding E-SYS will display have every option a 1-series could possibly have but in order for one to properly get activated, you'll need the specific accessories, hardware for them. So if something does not function even though you've coded it, keep this in mind.

There is actually more to coding but I just gave you a crash course. Hope it's been helpful. Also Googling will provide you a lot more. Lots of people code their Bimmers.

It's a genuine joy to code your Bimmer and get more out of her! If you have additional questions please don't be afraid to ask them.

Good luck and have fun!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 07:04 PM   #3
lurker
Private
Rep
Drives: Subaru

Thanks for your info c_surmeli!

I just ordered the cable and downloading the files. I'm having problems with the F20 cheat sheet. Looks like there are great cheat sheets for F30s and others, but nothing for F20. WOuld you mind sharing the one you use?

Cheers,

Adrian
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 01:10 AM   #4
c_surmeli
Rep

The following was the most comprehensive cheat sheet I was able to find.

http://www.oliverhaas.net/bmw/bmw-f-...ren-e-sys.html

Parts of it are in German but there is always Google Translate.

Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 08:51 PM   #5
lurker
Private
Rep

I got some basics going with coding. Was able to default ASS to off, and remove the idrive disclaimer. Tried some other things that did not seem to change anything also, but I have it sussed how to do it now. Thanks for that!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 03:55 AM   #6
c_surmeli
Rep

@lurker: Great to hear! Just a reminder that some changes not working is probably a sign that your accessories does not support that change. Keep in mind

For example, I turned on the 'Sports Display' for hp & torque gauges. Even though the display is on, no data is shown. So maybe I don't have the necessary equipment or since my Bimmer has Gorilla performance chip, it does not support it.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 05:56 PM   #7
lurker
Private
Rep

Yeah, I tried to enable the tyre pressure and it did not work. I will turn it off. I got the two things I most wanted done. I will search around to see if I can find anything else.

Also, my car is an early M135i and did not have the HU_NBT, but I found a HU something else, and found most of the same entries in there.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 11:27 PM   #8
c_surmeli
Rep

I enabled the tyre pressure/heat module and didn't work as well since I don't have the TPMS(tyre pressure monitor sensor) sensors.

Although I've found out that they can be retrofitted. Coding aside, in my opinion, just for total safety these sensors are much required that I'll install them and I think you must do too pal.
Appreciate 0