BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Proceed with the Countdown. The All-New BMW 1er

03-27-2019, 10:01 AM   #1
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Proceed with the Countdown. The All-New BMW 1er

Proceed with the Countdown...

On Approach The All-New BMW 1er Sporthatch

Munich. Camouflaged pre-series vehicles of the third-generation BMW 1 Series are currently still undergoing extensive test drives at the BMW proving ground in Miramas, Southern France. The facility’s diverse handling tracks offer the optimal conditions for refining agility and dynamics of the new BMW 1 Series. This was preceded by five years of intensive development work and the change to the modern BMW front-wheel drive architecture.

A genuine BMW with an individual character.
The new BMW 1 Series will set new standards in the premium compact class in terms of driving dynamics, whilst also offering significantly more space inside. With a cutting edge suspension set-up, innovative technologies and the integration of all driving dynamics-related components and control systems, the BMW 1 Series achieves greater agility both with the new front-wheel drive and BMW xDrive intelligent four-wheel drive. “Our customers will directly feel the fast and precise responsiveness that provides for an optimised driving experience. The BMW 1 Series will be a genuine BMW with an individual character,” says Peter Langen, head of Driving Dynamics at the BMW Group.

Transfer of technology from the BMW i3.
On the new BMW 1 Series, BMW has utilized all of the experience gained over recent years with BMW Group front-wheel drive models. A crucial element for the car’s exceptionally high agility is ARB technology (actuator contiguous wheel slip limitation) known from the BMW i3s, which is now celebrating its debut in a vehicle with a combustion engine. This transfer of technology from the BMW i brand to the core brand BMW improves traction decisively, while facilitating significantly more sensitive and faster control.

ARB technology, which is standard on the BMW 1 Series, features a slip control system positioned directly in the engine control unit instead of in the control unit for the DSC function (Dynamic Stability Control). Without long signal paths, information is passed on three times faster, with the regulation speed perceived by the driver actually being up to ten times faster. In close coordination with the DSC function, actuator contiguous wheel slip limitation significantly reduces the power understeer usually experienced with front-wheel drive vehicles, but without control intervention to stabilise lateral dynamics. BMW Performance Control (yaw moment distribution) also comes as standard and additionally increases agility of the BMW 1 Series through dynamic brake intervention. Moreover, torsional stiffness of the body structure is enhanced by the targeted use of additional struts such as a standard rear-end “boomerang strut”. “Through this extensive integration of all driving dynamics-related aspects as well as the new, innovative traction control feature, we are creating a completely novel driving experience,” says Holger Stauch, BMW 1 Series project manager.

The most powerful BMW Group 4-cylinder engine for the new top-of-the-range model.
A newly developed 4-cylinder engine stands out prominently within the drive portfolio of the new BMW 1 Series. The BMW M135i xDrive (combined fuel consumption: 7,1-6,8 l/100 km; combined CO2 emissions: 162-155 g/km)* features the most powerful 4-cylinder engine from the BMW Group with a 2-litre capacity and BMW TwinPower Turbo technology. The power unit delivers 225 kW (306 hp), ensuring extremely dynamic handling properties through individual technical solutions such as a reinforced crank drive, new pistons and cod rods, a larger exhaust turbocharger as well as optimised fuel injection valves.

More interior space.
The BMW 1 Series has taken a major leap forward in terms of interior spaciousness. Thanks to the new front-wheel drive architecture with transverse engines and a low centre tunnel, noticeably more space is now available than in the predecessor model, especially on the back seats. For example, legroom for rear-seat passengers has increased by 33 millimetres and headroom at the back by 19 millimetres. Access to the rear compartment is now easier and luggage compartment capacity has increased by 20 litres to 380 litres. Thus, the new BMW 1 Series combines outstanding handling characteristics with significantly improved spaciousness.
Attached Images

03-27-2019, 11:15 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I am curious about vehicle size (particularly height) and weight, availability of manual gearboxes, electric versions, and possibility to disable driving aids (which is not possible in the i3).
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 01:38 PM   #3
Weiman
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i M-Sport -14

Those renders are probably not far off. Looks a bit low though.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 08:57 AM   #4
pochetemix
Private
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i F20 and Cayenne V6.

Rubbish.
Appreciate 1
No one1037.00
      03-28-2019, 11:27 AM   #5
eray
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S3 Quattro 300 Hp

Don't know whose idea to produce RWD hatches, but people loved those cars. What's the point in taking that pleasure away from petrolheads?
Appreciate 1
ZHPsedan135.50
      03-28-2019, 04:10 PM   #6
ZHPsedan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 750i

Garage List
2022 BMW 750i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eray View Post
Don't know whose idea to produce RWD hatches, but people loved those cars. What's the point in taking that pleasure away from petrolheads?
They'll say it's for fuel efficiency and packaging constraints, but we all know it's really just a cost cutting measure. Making more use out of that mini platform.

Why not make the 3 and 4 series cars FWD based? 5 series?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 04:15 PM   #7
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHPsedan View Post
They'll say it's for fuel efficiency and packaging constraints, but we all know it's really just a cost cutting measure. Making more use out of that mini platform.

Why not make the 3 and 4 series cars FWD based? 5 series?
They said the Mini platform allows for RWD as well. If this FWD 1 series is a success, the 3/4 series could be next.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 06:49 PM   #8
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Closest Render yet of the M135i xDrive.
Attached Images

03-28-2019, 11:51 PM   #9
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
They said the Mini platform allows for RWD as well. If this FWD 1 series is a success, the 3/4 series could be next.
Do you mean they won't ruin the 2 Series any further anyway: no transmission or (rev match makes it quite an "and") no engine - an easy choice already?

What is a success? They sacrifice it's individuality to appeal to the generic public that just doesn't distinguish. They make it just another car. It will sell better than the current one but how can it sell better than the competitors? They must excel in marketing for that. It's a no-loss no-win give up. They acknowledge driving enthusiasts are a dying out species. It's not a success or failure matter, it's rather just a fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Closest Render yet of the M135i xDrive.
It has to look stupefying to look attractive.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 01:15 AM   #10
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Do you mean they won't ruin the 2 Series any further anyway: no transmission or (rev match makes it quite an "and") no engine - an easy choice already?
The 2 series is already available with FWD.
Appreciate 1
No one1037.00
      03-29-2019, 01:32 AM   #11
ChristosD
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: m135i

this abomination does not deserve a Hofmeister kink.

'14 F20 M135i EWG FBO:// INJEN INTAKE // PURE INLET// TURBOSMART BOV DUAL PORT //
//CSF INTERCOOLER // ER CP // SNOW S2.5 METH KIT // B58TU HPFP // NGK 97506 // ER DP // TMSS MID PIPE //MPE // MPBBK // UR STRUT BRACE // BM3 CUSTOM JORDAN E85 TUNE // XHP STAGE 3 //
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 07:02 AM   #12
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
The 2 series is already available with FWD.
Is it, really? So that was what you meant. You might have to remind me again. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristosD View Post
Doesn't it look like (a poor man's) SUV? I'm not sure SUVs have that kink though.

The current 1 Series never looked pretty either (especially when mimicking Korean shit ). But it had a point (for putting up with that).

Last edited by No one; 03-29-2019 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: Merging up a few posts.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 07:57 AM   #13
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

I think the current F20 is the best looking BMW, and the new FWD car seems to follow that trend. As a driving enthusiast, it is sad for me that RWD is taken away from us. I do however have to admit that there is a lot less difference in driving feel between a new RWD and FWD car now than it used to be 20 years ago.

When the car is launched, I will take it for a test drive to see what I think about it, with an open mind. Maybe it is not as bad as we fear.

I suspect the FWD will not be the deal breaker from a driving point of view. My first BMW was an E30 3-series from the eighties. Since then, the cars have gotten increasingly less responsive, and providing less mechanical feedback. You no longer get the same sense of speed and grip. The E30 easily felt like a part of my body while driving. The new cars feel more like riding a train in comparison. Can BMW turn this trend around, and bring back the true Fahrfreude? Please?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 10:07 AM   #14
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
The new cars feel more like riding a train in comparison. Can BMW turn this trend around, and bring back the true Fahrfreude?
There you are: "The M850i is evidence that BMW have got their mojo back when it comes to dynamic sports cars...". But it's the low range you mean. Of course not: too little support, too much opposition. They work on autonomous driving instead. Driver's cars are absolutely for the rich already now: the price/cost abyss from the budget shitboxes increases evidently. Say, they rushed to replace M2 with M2 Competition. M240i is a bargain by comparison but not exactly affordable (value for the money as well). Driving at all looks to become an expensive privilege soon. You might have to see driving as horse riding: enjoy it while you can.

Quote:
When the car is launched, I will take it for a test drive to see what I think about it, with an open mind. Maybe it is not as bad as we fear.
You'll have to open it really wide, apparently (and you admit you've gone a long way to achieve that ): here some claim SUVs can handle like sport cars. Denying laws of physics means dismissing them for some (like any other laws/rules ). "Ignorance is bliss." - "Empty your mind."

Last edited by No one; 03-29-2019 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: Added another note.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 11:54 AM   #15
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

The Mazda MX-5 is maybe the most pure driver's car on the market, and it is not really expensive. I wish BMW would make something similar to an MX-5 hatchback, and assign it as the 1-series. It doesn't have to be very fast, but it should be fun to drive. I think it should be sharper and louder than the Mini.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 05:45 AM   #16
jabugui
Private
Spain
Rep
Drives: f21 lci 120iA

I see a mercedes A class there, with a bmw trim.

It makes sense from a marketing point of view.

From a car lover point of view ist so sad. The F20 1 series is a unique vehicle in the market, it has never been a compact car, but allways been compared to those.

This has the advantage of having no competition, rwd 5 seats and nice boot hatch, being a segment on their own, and the disadvantage of being a weird looking car (to me is like the z3 coupe, the Ferrari ff) , kinda have all and nothing.

I'm sure everyone at bmw is sad for the new fwd
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 04:53 PM   #17
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristosD View Post
It gets one exactly like the G20 3er.
      04-04-2019, 08:09 AM   #18
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

When are the planned dates to show the official pictures and specifications for the new 1-series and the electric Mini? Frankfurt Auto Show in September?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 10:12 AM   #19
Weiman
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i M-Sport -14

No official word, but the F20 was revealed on the web in June 2011. I'm guessing something similar for the F40.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 04:28 PM   #20
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

Unless I missed something, Autocar UK (27/03/2019) already has the first drive of the new 1er in prototype guise. One thing that really bugs me is that the main reason for them to go to FWD architecture was to gain space and luggage room...

So here are the gains: 30mm more knee room in the rear and an extra 20 litres of boot space, according to BMW. What a joke!! FWD for that little gain and no more sweet inline-6???
      04-04-2019, 06:47 PM   #21
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
When are the planned dates to show the official pictures and specifications for the new 1-series and the electric Mini? Frankfurt Auto Show in September?
First Photographs at weekending 27th of May.
Both vehicles MINI Cooper S e and BMW 1er will have their World Premier at the IAA in September.
      04-04-2019, 06:55 PM   #22
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post
Unless I missed something, Autocar UK (27/03/2019) already has the first drive of the new 1er in prototype guise. One thing that really bugs me is that the main reason for them to go to FWD architecture was to gain space and luggage room...

So here are the gains: 30mm more knee room in the rear and an extra 20 litres of boot space, according to BMW. What a joke!! FWD for that little gain and no more sweet inline-6???
The issues there are that the 1er is not competitive in the highly competent C-segment. These issues illustrated actually affect sales against highly established competitors. And the new 1er aims to be far more competitive, but also more Individual than the endless line of facsimile C-segment models. Dynamic but unique BMW attributes as well as a leap forward in technology and overall quality and premium feel. The new 1er is about being more competitive,familiar,advanced but still a BMW but to increase its current lower market share.