BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Employees Are Quitting Instead of Giving Up Working from Home

06-02-2021, 09:14 PM   #1
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Lightbulb Employees Are Quitting Instead of Giving Up Working from Home

Hmmmm... Interesting💡
As a Business Owner, who can't imagine punching a clock, I totally get it.
Working from home can't be beat! I suppose if said employee has a skill set and resume that will quickly land them another remote position, why not.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Futurology/...m_source=share
ccdre337.00
minn1913970.00
      06-02-2021, 09:23 PM   #2
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Hmmmm... Interesting💡
Working from home can't be beat! I suppose if said employee has a skill set and resume that will quickly land them another remote position, why not.

To make it worse, there are internal studies from many Fortune 500 corporations that overall production has increased as much as 40% yet there are line managers running their own little fiefdoms who ignore this information.

Work should be a thing you do in many cases...not a place you go.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 16
dscabra4944.50
DETRoadster11446.00
Steeler2422.00
vreihen1614886.50
Bunnny219.50
Torgus3779.00
King Rudi13152.00
qwyjibo25.50
jmg18493.00
minn1913970.00
      06-02-2021, 09:26 PM   #3
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I've only been working from home full time for like 5 years. It was amazing. I could go places mid week during work hours and everything was empty. Now everyone had to come and ruin it! Can't really go anywhere anymore no matter what day or time.

I have also always said the concept of everyone driving to some building at the same time every day to sit in front of a computer which is probably the same as the computer you have at home was stupid. Yes, there's some positions where people do actually have to be there, but for a LOT of people it's a stupid concept.

That being said I have a feeling there's some out there who are doing more hanging out at home than working. It's been over a year now, but I feel customer services at most places I deal with has gone down drastically. If that's related to people wfh or not I'm not sure, but I have definitely felt a downtrend in customer service/responsiveness.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614886.50
      06-02-2021, 09:32 PM   #4
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Hmmmm... Interesting💡

My employer, a large Fortune 50 multinational corp, has been offering the option to work remotely for decades. I don't understand why some organizations are still struggling with the concept.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 09:38 PM   #5
The J-Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

I’ve been at home full or partially for all of my career. The day I have to accept a job 5 days a week in the office is the day I quit, buy an RV, and live in the Home Depot parking lot. But, yes there’s a lot of incompetent CEOs and older managers who think that people are more productive and creative when they’re together and they ignore all the evidence that productivity has increased for many. I’ll echo, though, as a consumer that customer service type positions have become worse. This is especially true with government. Those people don’t work when they do go to the office, imagine what they’ve been doing from home all day.
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3128.50
      06-02-2021, 09:39 PM   #6
The J-Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I've only been working from home full time for like 5 years. It was amazing. I could go places mid week during work hours and everything was empty. Now everyone had to come and ruin it! Can't really go anywhere anymore no matter what day or time.

I have also always said the concept of everyone driving to some building at the same time every day to sit in front of a computer which is probably the same as the computer you have at home was stupid. Yes, there's some positions where people do actually have to be there, but for a LOT of people it's a stupid concept.

That being said I have a feeling there's some out there who are doing more hanging out at home than working. It's been over a year now, but I feel customer services at most places I deal with has gone down drastically. If that's related to people wfh or not I'm not sure, but I have definitely felt a downtrend in customer service/responsiveness.
I hear ya - I used to do my grocery shopping in the middle of the day at Target. It was just me and all the stay at home mommies. Now it’s a free for all.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2021, 09:56 PM   #7
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by The J-Man View Post
I’ve been at home full or partially for all of my career. The day I have to accept a job 5 days a week in the office is the day I quit, buy an RV, and live in the Home Depot parking lot. But, yes there’s a lot of incompetent CEOs and older managers who think that people are more productive and creative when they’re together and they ignore all the evidence that productivity has increased for many. I’ll echo, though, as a consumer that customer service type positions have become worse. This is especially true with government. Those people don’t work when they do go to the office, imagine what they’ve been doing from home all day.
Interesting as when I was laid off from my last job I decided to focus on my side business full time BECAUSE I wanted to buy an RV and live in the Home Depot parking lot.

Actually Home Depot parking lots are a no go. Any RVer will tell you the favorite is Walmart although lots of Walmart are not allowing RVs overnight anymore. My personal favorite is Crackerbarrel. They all typically have RV parking and allow you to park overnight. Usually quieter than Walmart and you can get breakfast in the morning.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614886.50
      06-02-2021, 10:28 PM   #8
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

I recently retired but may have stayed on if the bozos didn't demand that I sit in my office and do the exact same thing I could do from home. EVERY facet of my work is done online. The only difference between doing my job from home and doing it from the office is geography. I still sat in my office with the door closed and locked and dealt with faculty and staff remotely via Teams. On the plus side, I'm enjoying retirement, so no big loss.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 6
Kilabyte3942.00
Esteban42196.00
MKSixer34171.50
vreihen1614886.50
3.0L8902.00
Nachbar8023.00
      06-02-2021, 11:01 PM   #9
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
My employer, a large Fortune 50 multinational corp, has been offering the option to work remotely for decades. I don't understand why some organizations are still struggling with the concept.
This.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      06-02-2021, 11:14 PM   #10
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I totally dislike working from home, doing Teams calls, and such. I'm way less productive at home. I'm a total introvert but I miss seeing my coworkers and the human connection. Even though our office isn't technically open, I go in often to work. I like getting out of my house. I want my house to be where I have my life OUTSIDE work. I don't fault anyone wanting to stay and work from home if that's where they're most efficient and productive. My company has been mostly open to that concept and even more so now.

All my staff want to get back into the office. Overall, about 80% of our office staff wants to get back to working in the office but may work from home a day or two. A couple want to stay at home full time except when needed for certain meetings. Our line of work is environmental consulting and engineering.

Last edited by XutvJet; 06-02-2021 at 11:22 PM..
Appreciate 6
Kilabyte3942.00
Littlebear3508.50
jesm203.00
Hawkeye2069.50
      06-03-2021, 12:32 AM   #11
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I'll never, ever go back to an office. There's simply no way I'm going to put up with the whiney, scared out of their mind masses running around now. If somebody in the office were to sneeze now it's like a bomb goes off to these people. I was an office manager running the show in Miami, and even before all this Convid nonsense folks would constantly complain about those around them to me (hygiene, coughing, coming into work sick, etc.). I have absolutely no patience for this crap now, I'm sick of it. I wouldn't last 48 hours before HR would be filled with complaints from the cry babies about me ignoring their irrationally terrified pleas. Thank GOD I'm back to full time remote and that the company realizes it's the model going forward and they're killing it. It's bad enough the folks emailing me they have to take off sick because of the vaccine. Folks that haven't missed a day of work in a year, all of a sudden out for 5-7 days due to that crap. Sick of all of it, enough is enough. Get a helmet and get back to work!
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
      06-03-2021, 06:57 AM   #12
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

This blows my mind. In my industry (Autobody) dealing with insurance reps working from home has been a disaster. What would normally take 1-2 days to get approvals on a claim with the big carriers (GEICO, Progressive, SF) is now taking 7+ days.
No matter when you call, reps never answer their phones. They take days to call back and its just been terrible...
Appreciate 1
Hawkeye2069.50
      06-03-2021, 07:01 AM   #13
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Interesting as when I was laid off from my last job I decided to focus on my side business full time BECAUSE I wanted to buy an RV and live in the Home Depot parking lot.

Actually Home Depot parking lots are a no go. Any RVer will tell you the favorite is Walmart although lots of Walmart are not allowing RVs overnight anymore. My personal favorite is Crackerbarrel. They all typically have RV parking and allow you to park overnight. Usually quieter than Walmart and you can get breakfast in the morning.
Mmmmmm, pecan pancakes!

I've been a "remote" employee for over a decade, technically. I spent a LOT of time on-site at the customer of the moment, however. I haven't been on site since Sep 2019, though.

WFH presents its own challenges, though. Many things take longer because you can't simply walk over to someone's desk/office and talk to them.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 07:04 AM   #14
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I have been working from home for over 20 years (self-employed). It provides some nice benefits - no commute, with dogs all day, etc. When I need to get something done, I am much better off in my home office than in an open format corporate office (which to me was the worst idea ever). But there are drawbacks, like less social interaction and blurring of work / personal time (even more than when in an office). It is not nearly as flexible as many think. I look forward to getting back out to see clients soon - certainly not every day but at least a couple of trips out each month.

To me, the ideal solution is a blend of on-site and WFH. But WFH doesn't work for many if they don't have the space or have too many distractions. I think employers are trying to balance that reality because if they started telling some people they can work from home and others they can't, even more cries would result. Rather, I think it will be back to the office as the norm in most places, with more flexibility to WFH from time to time than there has been historically. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me if one wants to work for a corporation and take the benefits that go with doing so.
Torgus3779.00
MKSixer34171.50
      06-03-2021, 07:19 AM   #15
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I am still not a fan, I mean it works for me because I save 10K year on child care but TBH, trying to collaborate or hiring and training entry level staff is insanely difficult and expensive and turnover is way up. Front line call centre guys especially are struggling, there's no comradery, no easy way to announce things or give a shutout to a team that did well etc, i mean it can be done but it is soulless. And managing the slackers is a fucking nightmare.
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15567.50
RickFLM410880.50
      06-03-2021, 07:29 AM   #16
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Ive honestly been mulling this over myself... If and when they call me back in, Im going to have some tough decisions to make.

Nothing that I do for the company would be enhanced by having me sit in the office 8 hours per day, 5 days per week.

Im not sure I can do it anymore.
Appreciate 3
      06-03-2021, 08:11 AM   #17
frchdragon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Work from home isn't for everyone. Not everyone has the discipline to say: "from 8 to 5, I am in the office, no netflix, no xbox".
And work from home while taking care of the children doesn't work either.
Appreciate 2
ntg442887.50
      06-03-2021, 08:21 AM   #18
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Garage List
I was taught a good work ethic early in life and have always worked hard, but you need a balance. One of my favorite quotes:

"Work to live, don't live to work."

I've been working from home since March of 2020, and I'm actually looking forward to getting back to the office even if for just a few days per week. Some of the advantages I've seen from working from home this last year are:

- Getting more sleep
- Eating better
- Exercising more
- No commute stress and fewer miles on my car (my commute was 70 miles/day round trip)

Disadvantages:

- Less structured work hours (blurring work and personal time)
- Maintaining a team dynamic
- Managing new hires and getting them integrated into the team

Last edited by dscabra; 06-03-2021 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2021, 08:35 AM   #19
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

My company is just now starting to talk out about our office re-entry plan but at the executive level we are not discussing the hard truths about how WFH has evolved our approach to business and how we mold that back into the office environment. Our working hours have stretched significantly with the majority of employees filling what used to be commute time with working time. Generally speaking it was rare, pre-covid, to have anyone schedule a meeting before 9:00 AM of after 5:00 PM because you couldn't be sure everyone would be available. Now, 7:00 AM meetings are common and meetings that stretch until 6:00 PM are also common. There's also the fact that most employees will pound away at the 200+ e-mails we all get per day, while sitting in Teams meetings. Pre-covid it was generally considered rude to be in an in-person meeting and working on other things. As a company we have allowed a post-covid environment to form where employees are logged in and working 10, 11, 12+ hours per day and have more work than they can manage so they split focus and work on e-mails and documents while in meetings. How does that all reconcile when we go back? Will employees simply be expected to tack on 2 hours of commute time to their new 10 to 12 hour work days? Will we somehow manage the flood of e-mails in the slivers of time between our 8 hours of meetings per day?

Bottom line, WFH has not made us more efficient but it HAS created a culture where people simply work more, so we are getting more done. Our CEO has quietly and happily allowed that to happen as I'm sure he likes the results. But is it sustainable and how does it fit with an office re-entry plan? Will be very interesting to see. So far, he refuses to acknowledge that its even a thing, which I take a evidence he absolutely sees it and likes the extra "free" labor hours he's getting out of the crew.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614886.50
      06-03-2021, 08:46 AM   #20
jmack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: OG M2, E70 X5M

My company has left it up to employees. The office is fully open and masks are optional, but only ~20% of employees have gone back. There is currently no plans to force anyone to go back to the office.
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      06-03-2021, 08:55 AM   #21
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

I want my house to be where I have my life OUTSIDE work

Yea not a big fan living @ work either. The lack of interaction is already showing in studies with kids/teenagers, I wouldn't want to see a billion fold on that.
Appreciate 2
UncleWede17874.00
Hawkeye2069.50
      06-03-2021, 08:57 AM   #22
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep
Drives: 1997 Dinan m3

I honestly don't know if I could work from home. It sounds ideal, but there are a lot of distractions(babies, my cars, modding watches, etc etc.) I also have to go into our warehouse often and put my hands on something. I would love for our sales and customer service team to work from home though. I am the only man in an office full of women, and there is a ton of gossip and chatting all day.
Appreciate 0