BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Honeymoon destinations

12-14-2019, 11:36 AM   #23
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
Thank you. Funny enough I was just talking about Hawaii with some friends.
Which island do you suggest? Maui would be on my list but i know nothing of the others.
We want to Maui on our honeymoon and loved it.
      12-16-2019, 09:48 AM   #24
OrcaPod
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW F10 528i N52 engine

Quote:
Considering right now Fiji, Bora Bora, Seychelles.
I was fortunate to visit these places and i'd rate them in the order:
1) Bora-Bora - i think it's great place for honeymooners. same as Moorea as others already mentioned. Bora-Bora is more highend/pricey and IMHO has better location for overwater bungalows than Moorea.
but do your due diligence as some water bungalows don't have great views.
Also check other islands in French Polynesia as they might suit your needs.

2) Fijij - personally I will go back to Fiji a heartbeat but I'd recommend to stay on a smaller islands (not main ones), given your limited timeframe it might not be feasible as it requires traveling either by ferry or sea plane.

3) Seychelles - personally i wasn't too impressed with them, so i'd not recommend.

Never been to Hawaii so cant comment of them

Depending on your preference I'd also consider traveling to Africa.
This will be an experience of lifetime. No beaches though if you are not going to Mozambique, Zanzibar, shore side of SA.
Personally I loved safaris and abundance of wild life in Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda etc.
With your budget and timeframe you might be able to travel to Kruger Park in South Africa and see all BIG FIVEs in one place if you are lucky.
Africa left the most long lasting impression on me and I'd go back there any time.
Appreciate 1
R3dliner934.50
      12-16-2019, 10:26 AM   #25
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaPod View Post
I was fortunate to visit these places and i'd rate them in the order:
1) Bora-Bora - i think it's great place for honeymooners. same as Moorea as others already mentioned. Bora-Bora is more highend/pricey and IMHO has better location for overwater bungalows than Moorea.

2) Fijij - personally I will go back to Fiji a heartbeat but I'd recommend to stay on a smaller islands (not main ones), given your limited timeframe it might not be feasible as it requires traveling either by ferry or sea plane.

3) Seychelles - personally i wasn't too impressed with them, so i'd not recommend.

Never been to Hawaii so cant comment of them

Depending on your preference I'd also consider traveling to Africa.
This will be an experience of lifetime. No beaches though if you are not going to Mozambique, Zanzibar, shore side of SA.
Personally I loved safaris and abundance of wild life in Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda etc.
With your budget and timeframe you might be able to travel to Kruger Park in South Africa and see all BIG FIVEs in one place if you are lucky.
Africa left the most long lasting impression on me and I'd go back there any time.
Thank you for writing this.
Have some questions for you below. Much appreciated

- Taking Bora Bora off the list. IMO maldives has the best overwater bungalows and we want to experience something different this time. Like a beachfront or cliff side villa. Also everyone that went their all told me that it was quite boring.

- Looking at Royal Davui, Likuliku, and Six senses right now. Been to any of these?

- Yea looking at more youtube clips, i'm not impressed.
Appreciate 1
OrcaPod73.50
      12-16-2019, 11:33 AM   #26
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Our HM was completely different. We spent 3 weeks in Alaska. Flew into Anchorage, drove down to Seward, and then proceeded to drive North all the way past Fairbanks as far as the road would take us and back down a different route.

Each place we stayed along the way was for 2-3 days in private cabins, and we had an excursion each day. Just a few of the outings:

A boat out with Humpback and Killer Wales to a private island around the Kenai Peninsula
Paragliding in Alyeska
Helicopter out to a glacier for a private hike
Denali national Park
Airplane ride to Mt. Denali
River-Boat Ride on one of those huge paddle-boats.
Iditarod camp where we got to be pulled by the dogs
Train ride in Talkeetna
Gold Panning

We did numerous other stuff. Most I had planned/booked...others we "winged" it. Every place you went was like looking at a picture.

We have done the typical tropical stuff while dating...even went to Chichen Itza once.

But if you are into that sort of thing...Alaska was perfect in every aspect and we were never once bored.
      12-16-2019, 12:06 PM   #27
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Four Season Maui.
R3dliner934.50
      12-16-2019, 01:16 PM   #28
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Our HM was completely different. We spent 3 weeks in Alaska. Flew into Anchorage, drove down to Seward, and then proceeded to drive North all the way past Fairbanks as far as the road would take us and back down a different route.

Each place we stayed along the way was for 2-3 days in private cabins, and we had an excursion each day. Just a few of the outings:

A boat out with Humpback and Killer Wales to a private island around the Kenai Peninsula
Paragliding in Alyeska
Helicopter out to a glacier for a private hike
Denali national Park
Airplane ride to Mt. Denali
River-Boat Ride on one of those huge paddle-boats.
Iditarod camp where we got to be pulled by the dogs
Train ride in Talkeetna
Gold Panning

We did numerous other stuff. Most I had planned/booked...others we "winged" it. Every place you went was like looking at a picture.

We have done the typical tropical stuff while dating...even went to Chichen Itza once.

But if you are into that sort of thing...Alaska was perfect in every aspect and we were never once bored.
Looks like fun as this would be something I would do with the boys. Heli jumping/snowboarding by Mt Denali would be on my list along with seeing the Aurora Borealis.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      12-16-2019, 02:14 PM   #29
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

My friend went super cheap on his honeymoon lol. I can understand if you just graduated and are a millennial or gen z with loads of student debt and an entry level job, not someone who is older and mid career. He tends to exaggerate and claims he has lots of friends from elementary school he still has contact with but none of them were at his wedding. So I'm saying it's bullshit lol. Claims he makes $500k a year which also seems doubtful.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 02:19 PM   #30
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

Check out this place: https://www.rayavadee.com/en/
It's not an island, but the only way to get there is by boat. Amazing scenery, great food. Very quiet at night, but there are some bars. Went for my wife's 40th years ago, amazing place. We had a rate that included breakfast, dinner and everything in the mini bar. Stay at a 5* hotel in Bangkok for a few days, then fly to Krabi to get there.
Appreciate 1
R3dliner934.50
      12-16-2019, 02:32 PM   #31
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
My friend went super cheap on his honeymoon lol. I can understand if you just graduated and are a millennial or gen z with loads of student debt and an entry level job, not someone who is older and mid career. He tends to exaggerate and claims he has lots of friends from elementary school he still has contact with but none of them were at his wedding. So I'm saying it's bullshit lol. Claims he makes $500k a year which also seems doubtful.
I'm not following how your ramble here adds anything meaningful to this post?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 02:34 PM   #32
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not following how your ramble here adds anything meaningful to this post?
Just saying don't fake it till you've made it. Carry on.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 02:38 PM   #33
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post
Check out this place: https://www.rayavadee.com/en/
It's not an island, but the only way to get there is by boat. Amazing scenery, great food. Very quiet at night, but there are some bars. Went for my wife's 40th years ago, amazing place. We had a rate that included breakfast, dinner and everything in the mini bar. Stay at a 5* hotel in Bangkok for a few days, then fly to Krabi to get there.
Thank you. I've been to Thailand before along with Borcay. Had a blast. Between Indonesia and Thailand it's a toss up and wouldn't know which one to choose.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 02:40 PM   #34
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
gotcha. I had to "really" read what you said.

P.S. I'm a millennial with no student debt. High salary earner. Most millennial I've talk to are pretty good with their finances.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 02:48 PM   #35
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
gotcha. I had to "really" read what you said.

P.S. I'm a millennial with no student debt. High salary earner. Most millennial I've talk to are pretty good with their finances.
Not trying to discriminate there's nothing wrong with being in debt it's when you have to lie about it a claim you're something you're not that's the problem. All generations have their good and bad apples. Glad to know you've got your finances in a good place. I'm actually borderline millilenial / gen x as far as when I was born so I feel I have lots in common with millennials. Had to struggle a little in the early years with a small apartment but happy to say those days are behind me now.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 03:21 PM   #36
OrcaPod
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW F10 528i N52 engine

Quote:
Thank you for writing this.
Have some questions for you below. Much appreciated

.... we want to experience something different this time. Like a beachfront or cliff side villa.

- Looking at Royal Davui, Likuliku, and Six senses right now. Been to any of these?

- Yea looking at more youtube clips, i'm not impressed.

Sorry can't comment on those Fijji places as I haven't stayed there myself.
we had island hoping itenary and stayed at different islands for few days each ( Navini, Paradise Cove, Octopus, Mantaray). Overall I had a great experience in Fiji and I"m sure you will not be disappointed if you choose to go there.

You mentioned cliff side villas/resorts. ..
From what I remember Seychelles have few of those.
Also may be consider St.Lucia then? It's not your typical Carribean destination and stands out from others with its tropical jungles/cliffs etc.
Appreciate 1
R3dliner934.50
      12-17-2019, 09:49 AM   #37
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostansio View Post
My best friend decided to head off to ... Africa for his honeymoon. His wife suggested going to Barbados but it seemed to him too trivial ) Went to Tanzania for a 2-week safari. After returning he confessed that these were the best 2 weeks in his entire life (he's 35 now).
Would love to go to Africa(esp south africa) but got shot down real quick on that one.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 09:52 AM   #38
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaPod View Post
Sorry can't comment on those Fijji places as I haven't stayed there myself.
we had island hoping itenary and stayed at different islands for few days each ( Navini, Paradise Cove, Octopus, Mantaray).

You mentioned cliff side villas/resorts. ..
From what I remember Seychelles have few of those.
Also may be consider St.Lucia then? It's not your typical Carribean destination and stands out from others with its tropical jungles/cliffs etc.
Looked at some of those islands you mentioned and they look pretty sick. I think were locked in on Fiji.

Been to St Lucia and it was really nice. Not the typical Caribbean scenery.
I would put Turks #1 and St Lucia #2. Aruba #3, #4 St martin
Appreciate 0