BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 120k maintenance - which parts should be checked?

10-24-2021, 04:04 PM   #1
rohe
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 LCI

Exclamation 120k maintenance - which parts should be checked?

Hello there,

I have a 2015 model F20 LCI 118i. 120,000 km maintenance is coming. I have a few questions;

a) Which parts do I need to have checked?
b) I have no problem with the gearbox, but is it still necessary to change the oil?
c) There is no sound in the chain, is there a need for a change?
d) I changed the spark plugs to NGK LASER IRIDIUM 20 thousand km ago. How many miles will it go?

My to-do list;

1- oil change (bmw twin turbo)
2- replacement of all filters (bmw original oil filter - mann air and cabin filter)
3- replacement of all antifreeze liquid (castrol nf blue - pure water)

thank u very much for your help
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 12:11 PM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohe View Post
a) Which parts do I need to have checked?
Address your manual, perhaps. Just for example, see page 252 ("Maintenance") here.

Quote:
b) I have no problem with the gearbox, but is it still necessary to change the oil?
c) There is no sound in the chain, is there a need for a change?
If your gearbox is manual, you don't need to bother, probably. If automatic, it looks advised you should change the fluid regularly and if you haven't yet, changing may cause issues already (at 120k). So for both gearbox oil and engine chain, if you feel overcautious and don't find it expensive, changing should cause no harm (unless it's a "delayed" AT).

Quote:
d) I changed the spark plugs to NGK LASER IRIDIUM 20 thousand km ago. How many miles will it go?
"You tell me." OEM spark plugs would serve at least(!) another 20 thousand km, depending on your fuel quality.

Quote:
My to-do list;
3- replacement of all antifreeze liquid (castrol nf blue - pure water)
I would replace this point with brake fluid replacement (unless you did it recently: it needs replacement once in two years, AFAIK).
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 12:15 PM   #3
rohe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Address your manual, perhaps. Just for example, see page 252 ("Maintenance") here.

If your gearbox is manual, you don't need to bother, probably. If automatic, it looks advised you should change the fluid regularly and if you haven't yet, changing may cause issues already (at 120k). So for both gearbox oil and engine chain, if you feel overcautious and don't find it expensive, changing should cause no harm (unless it's a "delayed" AT).

"You tell me." OEM spark plugs would serve at least(!) another 20 thousand km, depending on your fuel quality.

I would replace this point with brake fluid replacement (unless you did it recently: it needs replacement once in two years, AFAIK).

Hello there,

Thank u very much for your help..

I have never changed transmission oil before. I haven't felt any problems so far. Gear shifts are flawless. But I was undecided when I saw that some people were having problems after the transmission oil change.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 12:24 PM   #4
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
I have never changed transmission oil before. I haven't felt any problems so far. Gear shifts are flawless. But I was undecided when I saw that some people were having problems after the transmission oil change.
So don't do it then (if it's not supposed "officially")! I have a manual gearbox and couldn't care less about automatic, honestly.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 01:02 PM   #5
rohe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
So don't do it then (if it's not supposed "officially")! I have a manual gearbox and couldn't care less about automatic, honestly.

okey thank you
Appreciate 0