BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Knocking sound only on cold start?

10-26-2021, 07:58 AM   #1
Chillanotskills
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20

Knocking sound only on cold start?

Hello bmw friends, can you help with your opinion?

For the last couple of weeks my car is banging on the cold start, but every other start during the day is fine. Yesterday was around 3°C in the morning and it was knocking for 10 seconds and then it makes some click sound and it stops, i dont have any idea what it could be. Pls help if you have an opinion, thanks

Its 116d 2016, 70k km.

https://youtube.com/shorts/dBl2Sue5NNY?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 06:21 PM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

I don't think I would care. The purpose of warming up the engine (I do it every time) is to put it into operating state safely. I have a petrol engine that's famous for making "strange" sounds when cold. By the way, it makes a "click!" sound when I stop it every time for I can't even guess how long. I take it as "Here we are (at the destination)!".
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 07:45 AM   #3
Chillanotskills
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
I don't think I would care. The purpose of warming up the engine (I do it every time) is to put it into operating state safely. I have a petrol engine that's famous for making "strange" sounds when cold. By the way, it makes a "click!" sound when I stop it every time for I can't even guess how long. I take it as "Here we are (at the destination)!".
Hahah yeah man I get you, but I will take it to the mechanic next week to see whats up, i'll let you know if they find out. It's definitely not normal, cause it didn't do that before.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 12:29 AM   #4
Chillanotskills
Registered
Rep

Problem solved!

To anyone who might be experiencing this problem in the future, it was rusted out and bad condition of the crankshaft pulley so I changed the pulley and serpentine belt. 300 euros total, cheers.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 04:41 AM   #5
Trix77
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Good to know, thanks to Chillanotskills
Appreciate 0