BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > ECU tune via OBD will be ready soon

05-05-2015, 07:29 AM   #1
max2005b
Private
Rep
Drives: F20

ECU tune via OBD will be ready soon

The current method required a small drilling to the ECU or opening the ECU box, both which kills warranty if noticed (not that hard to notice).
An OBD method will be available soon (about a month).
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 05:56 PM   #2
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

From whom? Where was the tune developed? Does the tuner have a global distribution and support network?

Golly, I'd love a dollar for each promise about OBD port flash tuning for the F20. Without more details, "In a month" is a bit like "tomorrow" - it never comes!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 08:44 PM   #3
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

max2005b
Can be done already AFTER the ECU has been unlocked in a bench. I call BS for a 100% OBD tune within the next month.
      05-09-2015, 09:11 AM   #4
max2005b
Private
Rep

ttimbo, this is not a tune. It's a cracking method.
There is only one firm that cracked the BMW's ECU and is reselling the crack/flashing methodology.

This firm is owned by a person I know. He is credited for most of the cracks and flashing methodologies out there for most of the car brands (VW,Japanese, BMWs etc).

For now the only solution of flashing BMW's ECU is pulling it out, drilling a small hole or opening the box, both leave marks.
The current method used by 100% of BMW F** tuners was also developed by him and distributed by him.

He is completing the development of OBD only crack&load method, which should be ready for deployment soon enough and will be distributed to worldwide tuners, just like the current method.

There are 2 steps for flashing an ECU: crack (bypass checksums, sniff & rewrite protocols etc) and load a tune. The tuning industry mostly build the remaps (tuning table) without dealing with cracking (the hardest part). So the method of OBD loading will soon get distributed to tuners and they will load their own maps. Just like 99% of the tunes out there.

I would guess that if you know a good reputable tuner, they will buy the new tool.

Last edited by max2005b; 05-09-2015 at 09:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 03:38 PM   #5
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Max, I'll believe it when I see it. Yes, I understand the need to break the ECU's encryption before new code can be loaded, but that's just one of the hard tasks in retuning these cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 02:18 AM   #6
max2005b
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
Max, I'll believe it when I see it. Yes, I understand the need to break the ECU's encryption before new code can be loaded, but that's just one of the hard tasks in retuning these cars.
You will see one very soon. I will use that method on my own car as soon as it's ready and will update you guys.

BTW, just followed your Flipboard mag.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2015, 10:35 AM   #7
dizx
Second Lieutenant
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

BS. I had my ECU tuned a few months ago. No drilling. The ECU had to be removed, but it can't be traced. Absolutely no signs of it. This was done in Bangkok, and I know the whole procedure. The tune itself comes from McChip-DKR.
      05-13-2015, 07:26 AM   #8
jippii ensio
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by max2005b View Post
ttimbo, this is not a tune. It's a cracking method.
There is only one firm that cracked the BMW's ECU and is reselling the crack/flashing methodology.

This firm is owned by a person I know. He is credited for most of the cracks and flashing methodologies out there for most of the car brands (VW,Japanese, BMWs etc).

For now the only solution of flashing BMW's ECU is pulling it out, drilling a small hole or opening the box, both leave marks.
The current method used by 100% of BMW F** tuners was also developed by him and distributed by him.

He is completing the development of OBD only crack&load method, which should be ready for deployment soon enough and will be distributed to worldwide tuners, just like the current method.

There are 2 steps for flashing an ECU: crack (bypass checksums, sniff & rewrite protocols etc) and load a tune. The tuning industry mostly build the remaps (tuning table) without dealing with cracking (the hardest part). So the method of OBD loading will soon get distributed to tuners and they will load their own maps. Just like 99% of the tunes out there.

I would guess that if you know a good reputable tuner, they will buy the new tool.
Could this be applied by e.g. MHD flasher (after some more R&D) or similar? Or would a Cobb Tuning Accessport kind of a separate specific device be needed? MHD flasher is a software for android devices to flash BMW N54 engines. Nice affordable tool since a device (other than your phone or tablet) is not needed, just a cable.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 03:31 PM   #9
max2005b
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizx View Post
BS. I had my ECU tuned a few months ago. No drilling. The ECU had to be removed, but it can't be traced. Absolutely no signs of it. This was done in Bangkok, and I know the whole procedure. The tune itself comes from McChip-DKR.
Hi Mr. "know the whole procedure".

You ECU has numerous traces of flashing, both physical and digital.
The current method requires the physical opening of the ECU box which is tightly glued (or drilling through the sticker as a second option).

In case you accidentally hurt your engine/gearbox and BMW would have to replace your engine under warranty, it will cost them a lot of money, which, like any other revenue-based firm, they do not want to spend. In that case, they will examine your ECU and will encounter the first physical evidence, the superglue being re glued (extremely easy to spot). Let's say they don't trust this evidence. Any current flashing method leaves traces of flashing in more than 3 different logging/auditing memory areas on your ECU, without the ability (currently) to delete. If this is not enough, they will plug your ECU to their scanner and the checksum light will blink right away. When the checksum light is blinking, it means that the software on your ECU is not original. That easy.

So next time you spit disinformation, check yourself, or else other people will trust your lack of knowledge and I'm guessing you are not going to pay for their new engine, right? Let people know what they are doing.

Oh, and do yourself a favor, if you are being stupid enough to drive around with your Bimmer, in a residential area, and watch your phone's screen while holding it in one hand and risking other people's life, don't upload it to Youtube.
Appreciate 2
      05-14-2015, 03:36 PM   #10
max2005b
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jippii ensio View Post
Could this be applied by e.g. MHD flasher (after some more R&D) or similar? Or would a Cobb Tuning Accessport kind of a separate specific device be needed? MHD flasher is a software for android devices to flash BMW N54 engines. Nice affordable tool since a device (other than your phone or tablet) is not needed, just a cable.
I don't know yet, we will have answers soon enough. Just texted the developer, will try as soon as possible. It costs about $800 where I live.

Will update.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 05:44 PM   #11
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Bumping for an update
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 05:29 AM   #12
dape90
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 F20 118i M-Sport

Max2000b is bang on the money here.

Typically a remapped/flashed ECU will be detected by a checksum error when and if the BMW dealership plugs the car into the diagnostic tools.

However, not knowing if this shows up as a big read light on the screen or it has to be looked for is another question.

I have the SuperChips remap on my 118i and I just have the car flashed back before it goes to the dealer. However as this map was developed using my car and one other it keeps the remap cost at a low rate. Otherwise it would be expensive.

Still, cheaper than warranty work.

?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 04:00 AM   #13
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

max2005b any updates or just a pipe dream?

Last edited by MR RIZK; 08-08-2015 at 04:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 12:06 AM   #14
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

max2005b
So...Max...you are +2 months behind schedule with your OBDII flash - development not going according plan?

(we all knew it was just hot air so I am not disappointed - just teasing you)
      08-23-2015, 05:29 AM   #15
max2005b
Private
Rep

Got an update for you guys: you can now flash any original BMW software via OBD without having to worry about wrong tuning and warranty issues. It's good news especially for 114i and 116i owners that can now easily flash 118i software.

Regarding the customized software flashing via OBD, there was a major breakthrough during the last week (thanks to some help from a US based tuner and BOSCH expert, I don't know if he wants his name published but I believe he is a member of this forum) and we are now able to flash any software via OBD. The thing is, it is still under a very thorough QA process, testing etc. ECU flashing is a very volatile process and therefore requires a lot of testing. I can't promise a date but I would say it will be released to shops in about 1.5 months or so - it very much depends on our testing, each and every problem that pops up can delay this. There are many different ECU environments (software versions) and a lot of different configurations to test.

harkes, I can tell you have absolutely zero knowledge about software/hardware disassemble or reverse engineering or even software programming. There is no timeline when it comes to cracks/exploits utils as it requires a lot of development and bypasses that result in new cracking/spoofing techniques. There is no textbook when it comes to cracking. Not everything goes by the plan. The only person in the world who had already enabled people such as yourself to flash customized software on an Fxx BMW computer (after almost 3 years of uncrackable ECUs) is working hard on that OBD solution. You can either wait and let those skilled people do their job, or try yourself. The latter is not really an option, just teasing.

Software development itself is very much prone to unexpected bumps and is very hard to plan, reversing a complex secured & hardened embedded software is probably 100 times more unexpected. I can just update you with the progress, can't really commit to any release dates.

Last edited by max2005b; 08-23-2015 at 05:58 AM..
Appreciate 2
      08-25-2015, 01:29 AM   #16
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

Summa summarum - its still not ready
      09-25-2015, 10:06 AM   #17
cornholio21
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: F20 118d (03/2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by max2005b View Post
Got an update for you guys: you can now flash any original BMW software via OBD without having to worry about wrong tuning and warranty issues. It's good news especially for 114i and 116i owners that can now easily flash 118i software.

Regarding the customized software flashing via OBD, there was a major breakthrough during the last week (thanks to some help from a US based tuner and BOSCH expert, I don't know if he wants his name published but I believe he is a member of this forum) and we are now able to flash any software via OBD. The thing is, it is still under a very thorough QA process, testing etc. ECU flashing is a very volatile process and therefore requires a lot of testing. I can't promise a date but I would say it will be released to shops in about 1.5 months or so - it very much depends on our testing, each and every problem that pops up can delay this. There are many different ECU environments (software versions) and a lot of different configurations to test.

harkes, I can tell you have absolutely zero knowledge about software/hardware disassemble or reverse engineering or even software programming. There is no timeline when it comes to cracks/exploits utils as it requires a lot of development and bypasses that result in new cracking/spoofing techniques. There is no textbook when it comes to cracking. Not everything goes by the plan. The only person in the world who had already enabled people such as yourself to flash customized software on an Fxx BMW computer (after almost 3 years of uncrackable ECUs) is working hard on that OBD solution. You can either wait and let those skilled people do their job, or try yourself. The latter is not really an option, just teasing.

Software development itself is very much prone to unexpected bumps and is very hard to plan, reversing a complex secured & hardened embedded software is probably 100 times more unexpected. I can just update you with the progress, can't really commit to any release dates.
max2005b, for my understanding - will it be possibile to remap the whole ECU or just to load the 120/125 software on a 118? Also will diesel ECU be supported?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 09:07 AM   #18
joartjelm
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 118d

max2005b, Do you have any updates on the progress in this matter?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 09:22 AM   #19
cornholio21
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: F20 118d (03/2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joartjelm View Post
max2005b, Do you have any updates on the progress in this matter?
I gave up waiting and ordered an X-Flasher from Magic Motorsport. Would recommend you to do the same - it's quite easy to open the ECU.

Last edited by cornholio21; 11-30-2015 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 11:53 PM   #20
dizx
Second Lieutenant
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio21 View Post
I gave up waiting and ordered an X-Flasher from Magic Motorsport. Would recommend you to do the same - it's quite easy to open the ECU.
It's very easy to open the ECU, but I wouldn't do it myself. You need the correct tools and proper sealing when you re-seal it. You don't want to make it look like its been fumbled with
      12-10-2015, 03:39 PM   #21
EM58NDS 135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 M135i

Wow, i look forward to hearing about any possible OBD tune that becomes available for F2* models. I had my 118i chip tuned this week by Superchips, and although they did a great job, i'd feel much more comfortable with an OBD tuning solution. I'm looking at getting an M235i next year, so hopefully it can be OBD tuned by then :-)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 03:14 AM   #22
REd116
Rep
Drives: F20 116i

?
Appreciate 0