BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Retrofit Android System

09-12-2018, 02:15 PM   #1
Estoril Blue 116d
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: The blur Marvel

Retrofit Android System

Hi, and hello. I'm new to the F20 and also new to this forum.

I just bought a 2013 116d fully M-Sport equipped and so far I'm extremely pleased with it. It's going to be my dd until at least next spring. There is a couple of minor issues that I have to sort out. So forgive me for starting up 2-3 new threads the next couple of days :-)

Any members in here tried this Android Navigation++ upgrade? I've seen it comes in different specs and names but some googling showed that it's basically the same unit. They promise it's a 100% plug n play. I think it's fair priced.

My car is equipped with zero cool multimedia stuff (S663A Radio BMW Professional) and after 2 days of ownership I'm ready to pull the trigger on a system like this :-)

http://graviton.no/produkt/klar/spes...xoCNcMQAvD_BwE

I live in Norway and in general radio is broadcasted through DAB+ so that's already a couple of thousands NOK to retrofit right there, and the best and fully integrated DAB adapters probably cost more than that.

Having Bluetooth and a nice navigation all in a big 10" screen seems well worth it.

What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 03:57 PM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril Blue 116d View Post
They promise it's a 100% plug n play.
My car is equipped with zero cool multimedia stuff (S663A Radio BMW Professional)
What would you plug it in to play? Follow your link again to see: "BMW Interface: NBT" (no CIC for F20). Here is a thread for you: https://f20.1addicts.com/forums/show...3#post23294883.

Let me put it simply: you need to have what BMW call "Navigation system Professional" (refer to F20 configurator/booklet for correct details) to add this thing (which still needs an external phone/modem to use Internet!) to. It gives you a larger display (really trouble-free compatible? ) and (mostly?) duplicate functionality (BMW should feel ashamed ).
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 02:43 AM   #3
Estoril Blue 116d
Private
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
What would you plug it in to play? Follow your link again to see: "BMW Interface: NBT" (no CIC for F20). Here is a thread for you: https://f20.1addicts.com/forums/show...3#post23294883.

Let me put it simply: you need to have what BMW call "Navigation system Professional" (refer to F20 configurator/booklet for correct details) to add this thing (which still needs an external phone/modem to use Internet!) to. It gives you a larger display (really trouble-free compatible? ) and (mostly?) duplicate functionality (BMW should feel ashamed ).
Thanx mate, Yeah I was thinking Super Mario and Donkey Kong

I believe I have CIC at least according to this link https://graviton.no/produkt/klar/spe...-serie-e90-e92. The vendor confirmed. I have the same menys, and colors and the square meny "buttons" on top of the screen. The link is not for an F20 but the difference between CIC and NBT should be the same across all BMW series? When you order the headunit you choose if you have CIC or NBT...

The Graviton/TX6 unit is also optional with a 4G USB Modem for internet.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 12:50 PM   #4
lt.Gruber
Rep
Drives: f20 118i

I was considering it as well, but i have decided to not go for it. First of all You are going to miss extended display functionality with navigation. Second - it isnt supporting iDrive controller.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 03:56 PM   #5
Estoril Blue 116d
Private
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt.Gruber View Post
I was considering it as well, but i have decided to not go for it. First of all You are going to miss extended display functionality with navigation. Second - it isnt supporting iDrive controller.
Mate, thx for replying. I actually ordered the system today so I'm pretty exited.

I'm not sure I follow you regarding the navigation, but there's a fully built in navigation with software, antenna etc, and you have all the Android apps like waze etc, plus Google Maps which I'm going to use (ordered the 4G USB modem for Data-Sim...

It fully supports all steering wheel buttons and iDrive. I specifically asked them about this and it also says it does so on their website (it mostly in Norwegian but just scroll down and you'll see it)... if it doesnt, I'll return it.

Also see this video, looks like it works with iDrive :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=fwF0CErVMTU
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 09:40 PM   #6
lt.Gruber
Rep

iDrive works only with original CIC menu. If go to android apps you have to relay on a touch screen. It's not showing any navi info on your extended display in instrument cluster.
Then you install it in Your car, please make a video how it works with DAB+ and spotify.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 12:18 AM   #7
Estoril Blue 116d
Private
Norway
Rep

Quote:
iDrive works only with original CIC menu. If go to android apps you have to relay on a touch screen. It's not showing any navi info on your extended display in instrument cluster.
Then you install it in Your car, please make a video how it works with DAB+ and spotify.
I understand, well we'll see how it is :-)

If it is like you say, I don't see that much of a problem really. In my wife's VW Golf for instance there's also a touchscreen and it works just fine. Easy to get used too. A good thing about the screen in the F20 is that it is very easy to reach.
For everyday use I'll get good use of DAB and Spotify :-)
Since sound is important to me I ordered a Focal upgrade kit with tweeters and all too. The TX6 has a much, much better stereo with more powerful amps and better processing and will be better equipped than the base stereo system and maybe even the upgraded F20 systems ;-)

And when Google Maps or other internet based apps are being used, well I have to touch the screen :-) No biggie :-)

Thx for chipping in...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 06:06 AM   #8
lt.Gruber
Rep

i have upgraded my Hi Fi to Match kit

I sounds way better now, especially lows and highs. I will also have to upgrade may amplifier
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 09:24 AM   #9
Estoril Blue 116d
Private
Norway
Rep

Quote:
i have upgraded my Hi Fi to Match kit
[IMG]http://i65.tinypic.com/5ecxz6.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i64.tinypic.com/30m8yee.jpg[/IMG]

I sounds way better now, especially lows and highs. I will also have to upgrade may amplifier
That looks good mate, I have ordered the Focal kit for both front and rear. Tweeters in the window frame, I will get the HK parts and click the tweeters in those. I'll leave the bases under the seats and no amps... the Graviton TX6 has plenty of power but if there's a need I can fit two amps to the head unit...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 09:01 AM   #10
lt.Gruber
Rep

Can You share some opinions on Graviton unit?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 12:40 PM   #11
Estoril Blue 116d
Private
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Can You share some opinions on Graviton unit?
Certainly, but it haven't arrived yet. As soon as it is here I will post!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 04:45 PM   #12
Estoril Blue 116d
Private
Norway
Rep

Hi guys.

I Installed the 10,25 unit today. Somewhat of a hazzle but all in all relatively easy.
The Dab antenna was the worst actually as I had to route it above the glove box and up through and behind the A pillar trim. But I got it eventually.
Installment of the screen was a little fiddly because the wire harness that came with the system was equipped with a fuse box located very close to the screen connecting switch. It was a bitch to get that tucked in so that the climate vents could be installed again...
Anyways it done now.

First impressions are unbelievable. The new screen is gigantic compared to the 6,5 inch old screen. The menys look oem and everything is very smooth. The sound improved a lot and sounds much better than the oe setup.

Nearly all functions can be operated with the iDrive, and steering wheel buttons. But for Navigation you have to usentge touch screen when you put in adresses and such.

The Dab+ app can be used with both iDrive and touch...

I haven't been through everything yet and I'm not familiar with Android so it might take me some adjusting and fiddling around.

All in all a superb upgrade. Truly...
[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 04:47 PM   #13
Estoril Blue 116d
Private
Norway
Rep

Some more pictures
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 08:36 AM   #14
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:

So it's not a CIC actually: at least BMW does not recognize it as such (this unit, CIC).
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 08:43 AM   #15
lt.Gruber
Rep

Can You make a some pictures how the DAB+ app looks like? Ohh and Spotify as well. Can You use steering wheel buttons to switch songs and radio stations?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 11:30 AM   #16
Estoril Blue 116d
Private
Norway
Rep

Quote:
So it's not a CIC actually: at least BMW does not recognize it as such (this unit, CIC).
I don't have as much knowledge about this as you do so I can't say for sure. When the company who sold me the new unit asked me whether it was CIC or NBT I simply send them pictures showing the meny's and stuff. They stated it was CIC. The unit is for the CIC system (as it said on the reciept, the box and the harness), even though it can emulate the newest GUI bmw has if you want. Pretty cool.
It's not important to me what I had, as long as the result is like it is :-)

Quote:
Can You make a some pictures how the DAB+ app looks like? Ohh and Spotify as well. Can You use steering wheel buttons to switch songs and radio stations?
Sure mate, I can take som photos later... etter middag :-)
Yes all the buttons on the steering wheel and the center console work. Skip songs in Spotify, volume, go to next station, start navi etc... but to access your playlists when Spotify is on and settings and stuff you will have to use the touchscreen.
The DAB+ app is developed by Graviton and works fairly well. There's an update out that I will try, but I'm waiting for the 4G USB modem that they didn't send.
Google maps too works extremely well. You will have to use the touch screen here too. It works really well with the touchscreen. As I said somewhere above, I'm used to the touchscreen from other cars we have, no biggie...

On a sidenote; Graviton supplies no installation instructions or setup info. Nada!! That's a major letdown I think, and I have been searching the internet feveresly since I got the unit because there's a lot of settings you have to do to get everything working.

I still haven't been able to get access to the old car info meny (idrive) but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the settings. Will call them tomorrow.

Bluetooth was a pain to get to work until I accendently found a meny hidden well within the system. Works like a charm now and connect to phones automatically as you'd expect. Streams content from your phone and shows music info and some album art.. not all.

There was also an 2 meter long AUX cable in the supplied harness. I initially thought it was for an extra AUX option and routed it to the glove box together with the DAB+ antenna (via USB) and the GPS antenna. The GPS antenna can be left inside the dashboard but I wanted it visible for better connection and I placed on top of the dashboard at the bottom of the A pillar.
Anyways, as I found out the AUX cable were supposed to be plugged in the car, under the armrest. So today I took out everything again, including the almost all of the centerconsole, ashtray, gearlever trim, iDrive etc... and was able to snug it in there for the stealthy installation a system like this requires (I think).

The DAB reception was rather poor and since I placed the antenna in the upper part of the windshield, I had to remove the A pillar trim once more and I then carefully removed/pryed the adhesive copper part of the antenna and scratched/sanded away all paint from the small area of the steel inner part of the A pillar to which I had glued the antenna too... Bummer rookie mistake, but it was my first time installing DAB. Now there's super reception and no fall-outs!

So not a system for everybody installation wise, but really not that hard either. 3-4 hours of hours though and the system is installed and fully working (if you know all the steps and settings).
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 12:01 PM   #17
lt.Gruber
Rep

Thanks for a great write-up! Now I'm really into getting one for myself. Do you live anywhere Rogaland area? Ohh and I so a lot of people complain about reboot time's. Was your car equiped with factory Bluetooth?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 12:11 PM   #18
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
I don't have as much knowledge about this as you do so I can't say for sure. When the company who sold me the new unit asked me whether it was CIC or NBT I simply send them pictures showing the meny's and stuff. They stated it was CIC. The unit is for the CIC system (as it said on the reciept, the box and the harness), even though it can emulate the newest GUI bmw has if you want. Pretty cool.
My remark wasn't for you as you have it already. It was for those who know they don't have CIC or don't really think so (have Radio BMW Professional instead) and still would love it: your vendor's interface choice appears incorrectly defined, that's my point. (And I neither know much or care a bit. Just an observation. )
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 01:48 PM   #19
Estoril Blue 116d
Private
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for a great write-up! Now I'm really into getting one for myself. Do you live anywhere Rogaland area? Ohh and I so a lot of people complain about reboot time's. Was your car equiped with factory Bluetooth?
No problem, let me know if you do buy it and I will be ready with answers. I live 1 hour from Oslo
Reboot time is kinda lenghty. About 30 seconds or so...
Yes I had factory BT but only for phone and not for streaming. I turned the factory option off in the new system's settings... was the only way to get it up and running and it works fine.
These pictures are from the routing of the AUX cable «under» the centre console... it was wuite messy at some point but also easy. You see the end result is quite snug
I will take some Spotify and DAB pics in an hour or so...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 01:51 PM   #20
Estoril Blue 116d
Private
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
My remark wasn't for you as you have it already. It was for those who know they don't have CIC or don't really think so (have Radio BMW Professional instead) and still would love it: your vendor's interface choice appears incorrectly defined, that's my point. (And I neither know much or care a bit. Just an observation. )
Ok, I see... I'm still not sure I follow you but that's probably on my part :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 02:39 PM   #21
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
They claim you should have either NBT or CIC for this thing to match (while it's hardly a worthy upgrade for those ). You've proved their "CIC" is fine for the Professional radio which does not seem to be a CIC in fact but is what those who should want this thing have - a great clarification for them!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 02:46 PM   #22
Estoril Blue 116d
Private
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
They claim you should have either NBT or CIC for this thing to match (while it's hardly a worthy upgrade for those ). You've proved their "CIC" is fine for the Professional radio which does not seem to be a CIC in fact but is what those who should want this thing have - a great clarification for them!
Got it. So what did my car have before I installed this fake CIC?
Appreciate 0