BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > M140i Finale Edition

04-13-2019, 02:04 AM   #1
ch3f
Rep
n/a
Drives:

M140i Finale Edition

Hi all 1 series fans and drivers

I am not sure if some of you feels the same, soon the 1 series approaching the end of straight six rear drive, I am thinking of getting another one

Went to BMW Adelaide dealer this morning, spec up a M140i Finale Edition with the following options
1. Tyre pressure monitor [B39]
2. Sun protection glazing [2VB]
3. Through loading system [420]
4. Lumbar support, electric [488]
5. Seat heating for driver and front passenger [494]

The price was AUD65500 (approx. GBP 35930; EUR 41470) with the possibility of further discount.

Not driven a M140i before, but currently owned a 2016 LCI M135i, with similar option as above.

I notice there are some items not available in the M140i...
>rear seat storage net behind the front seat
>rear doors storage compartment
>12V power point behind below the rear vent
>boot space 12V power point
>boot cargo net
>cargo net hook points behind rear seats and near B pillar

Not sure what else are taken away, but these are all I can find out, and I think these little thing makes the M135i a more complete car.

So let go back to the pricing, I am thinking of offering AUD 58000. What do you think of the price, is it a good deal? Or I should keep the money and wait for the new 1 series or keep saving for a M2

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 02:24 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

One more thing that is not available at the current M140i, is a manual gearbox, unfortunately. The world's last six cylinder RWD hatchback with a clutch pedal has already been sold.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 03:31 AM   #3
ch3f
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
One more thing that is not available at the current M140i, is a manual gearbox, unfortunately. The world's last six cylinder RWD hatchback with a clutch pedal has already been sold.
Yes, manual is definitely nice, I did regret not getting manual for the m135i initially, but after driving the auto, I think the the auto gearbox can shift better/faster and rev match more accurate than me One day they might have an auto box with voice command for change gear instead of paddle shift
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 06:59 AM   #4
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch3f View Post

I notice there are some items not available in the M140i...
>rear seat storage net behind the front seat
>rear doors storage compartment
>12V power point behind below the rear vent
>boot space 12V power point
>boot cargo net
>cargo net hook points behind rear seats and near B pillar

Not sure what else are taken away, but these are all I can find out, and I think these little thing makes the M135i a more complete car.
This is a "(extended) storage package" option (look for "Ablagenpaket" here and have the Details translated using the former link). Don't worry, it looks just standard: "Inside, the Finale Edition scores a storage compartment package".

Quote:
Or I should keep the money and wait for the new 1 series or keep saving for a M2
Don't wait for the new 1 series if you would be after M2. If you consider a (only available currently) used M2 saving should be a good idea apparently. If you are after a new one which will be M2C effectively, consider pricing increase over the regular M2 to evaluate your perspectives reasonably.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 08:59 AM   #5
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Yes, manual is definitely nice, I did regret not getting manual for the m135i initially, but after driving the auto, I think the the auto gearbox can shift better/faster and rev match more accurate than me
The newer F20 models with manual gearbox can rev match very accurately for you. My 2012 model did not, but my 2016 model does.

The auto is still faster, but not as rewarding to drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 02:18 PM   #6
jabugui
Private
Spain
Rep
Drives: f21 lci 120iA

M2C all the way or keep good old M135i and upgrade things. Don't see the point of spending a M140 from there.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 03:58 AM   #7
ch3f
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Sounds good with storage package included Thank you for the information.

Yes, auto definitely not as rewarding as manual, my daily Fiesta is a manual and very fun to drive, not fast but on those twisty mountain road it is great, easy to get on limit without pushing too fast.

Didn't have any plans to upgrade or mod the M135i, as modding cost is expensive in Australia, choices of mods also limited, the only thing I want to put in the car is the M perfomance Christmas light steering wheel Modding likely reduce the reliability, I don't plan to sell the M135i... so M2C is about 1.5 year saving away.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 02:53 PM   #8
Mr.revmatch
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW m140i, BMW e36 323i, rx-7

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, manual is definitely nice, I did regret not getting manual for the m135i initially, but after driving the auto, I think the the auto gearbox can shift better/faster and rev match more accurate than me
The newer F20 models with manual gearbox can rev match very accurately for you. My 2012 model did not, but my 2016 model does.

The auto is still faster, but not as rewarding to drive.
I decided to disable it as it didn't revmatch always definetely not when I was dropping a couple of gears. Apart from that I prefer to do it manually! What i do still have is that my car revmatches while upshifting, which makes no sense at all and really pisses me of... 🤦🏻*♂️
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 04:29 PM   #9
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.revmatch View Post
I decided to disable it as it didn't revmatch always definetely not when I was dropping a couple of gears. Apart from that I prefer to do it manually! What i do still have is that my car revmatches while upshifting, which makes no sense at all and really pisses me of... 🤦🏻*♂️
Our 118i rev matches to all gears except first. When downshifting, it is quite noticeable. When shifting up, the revs have to go down, so there is not much the engine management can do about it. If I let the engine drop to idle in netral, and move the lever to a higher gear, the revs will shoot up to the appropriate engine speed for that gear.

I would have preferred automatic rev matching to first gear as well, as it is the most difficult gear to do manually.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 05:15 PM   #10
Mr.revmatch
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW m140i, BMW e36 323i, rx-7

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.revmatch View Post
Our 118i rev matches to all gears except first. When downshifting, it is quite noticeable. When shifting up, the revs have to go down, so there is not much the engine management can do about it. If I let the engine drop to idle in netral, and move the lever to a higher gear, the revs will shoot up to the appropriate engine speed for that gear.

I would have preferred automatic rev matching to first gear as well, as it is the most difficult gear to do manually.
It is just an error that my car is rev-matching while upshifting. I know how to revmatch, hence my name here and on insta.

PS never shift back to first gear while driving thats just really bad for your manual gearbox!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 12:46 AM   #11
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Could you please explain what your car is doing when it is rev matching while shifting up? I don't understand why it should not be rev matching.

Please also explain what harm shifting to first gear while driving does. It is a very common thing to do when participating in auto-X, which is a sport I have been enjoying for many years.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 04:27 AM   #12
jabugui
Private
Spain
Rep
Drives: f21 lci 120iA

Imhk, first gear handles a very high amount of torque inside the gearbox due to high ratio. Its fair when engaging clutch as the friction losses lower the high burden.

After that its not advisable to floor because it strains too much the internal from both sides, engine and tyre torque is amplyfied to extreme values.

Of course a good driver can use 1 gear with a gentle use of throttle and proper shifting rev matching. But It is nevertheless not advisable to use it often while driving. That's why first gear is many times wobbly and damaged in old cars with common improper driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 05:48 AM   #13
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

The gearbox is connecting the engine and the differential. It will see torque from both sides.

The maximum torque from the engine side depends on the engine performance, but the driver can momentarily get it even higher by dropping the clutch at high RPM, due to rotational inertia in the engine. None of these torques are higher in first gear than other gears. A clutch drop in the highest gear is worst case. It is sometimes done to test for clutch slippage.

On the output side of the gearbox, the torque is higher the the input side, particularly in first gear. It is however limited by traction. If the torque gets too high, it will simply wash away in wheelspin. Unless you have tyres with grip that is significantly better than normal, the gearbox should be designed to handle this torque.

There is also synchromesh to match the speed of the input shaft with the gears. If you shift too fast, these can wear out. You will hear crunching sounds when engaging the gear with worn synchromesh, unless you double declutch to sync in manually. I sometimes do that for fun, as it feels great to feel the gear lever go into gear with no resistance.

The procedure is basically to shift to neutral, clutch out, rev match, clutch in, then shift to the gear you want, if necessary rev match again, then clutch out. On old trucks with unsynchronized transmissions, you actually have to do this.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 09:13 AM   #14
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
There is also synchromesh to match the speed of the input shaft with the gears. If you shift too fast, these can wear out. You will hear crunching sounds when engaging the gear with worn synchromesh, unless you double declutch to sync in manually. I sometimes do that for fun, as it feels great to feel the gear lever go into gear with no resistance.

The procedure is basically to shift to neutral, clutch out, rev match, clutch in, then shift to the gear you want, if necessary rev match again, then clutch out. On old trucks with unsynchronized transmissions, you actually have to do this.
This is exactly the first gear issue I had with my first car. Switching the first gear in motion I wore the synchromesh out so much I had to struggle to shift into the first gear even when stationary. Double declutch is what I use ever since to shift in the first gear even if the car is slightly rolling (usually in a traffic jam).

Amazingly, I had to use double declutching on my current car to shift into the reverse (unsynchronized!) gear when brand new. When stationary (for just a bit too long, I guess ), of course. When picking the car at the dealer's I had to address the salesman to reverse the car into a parking spot (I wanted to drop in briefly again). He did, but failed to teach me how. It took me a few more gettings stuck to park to realize/recall the double declutch method (which went unnecessary really soon though).
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 01:18 AM   #15
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 19' G20 X3 20i & 19' M140i

I wonder what the final price will be for the M140i. All current offers end the 30th of June which I believe is the last chance to factory order. The cheapest offer I have seen is for £333 deposit and £333/month.

Although the next M240i will still have a 6 cylinder, have the new bump stop suspension and an LSD, it won’t be as cheap. Even a 220i cost as much on finance as an M140i. A 440i is roughly £170 more per month and is more of a GT

Towards the end of June I will stay in touch with My local dealer and TRL as I will be happy to pull the trigger if the price falls to £300 down and £300/month.
      04-30-2019, 03:11 AM   #16
Weiman
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i M-Sport -14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crassus View Post
I wonder what the final price will be for the M140i. All current offers end the 30th of June which I believe is the last chance to factory order. The cheapest offer I have seen is for £333 deposit and £333/month.

Although the next M240i will still have a 6 cylinder, have the new bump stop suspension and an LSD, it won’t be as cheap. Even a 220i cost as much on finance as an M140i. A 440i is roughly £170 more per month and is more of a GT

Towards the end of June I will stay in touch with My local dealer and TRL as I will be happy to pull the trigger if the price falls to £300 down and £300/month.
I would check with the dealer now if I were you. Last factory orders are mid june, supposedly.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 04:31 AM   #17
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiman View Post
I would check with the dealer now if I were you. Last factory orders are mid june, supposedly.
Absolutely. Will do. This morning I ran an insurance quote and it’s a sensible £450/year which is pretty much the same as for the 2016 Skoda Fabia the M140i would replace. Interestingly the Skoda just cost me £162/month and an M140i is only just over double! In other words, a bargain.

I’m open minded about factory ordering or buying inventory. Thankfully all inventory are shadow edition and automatic so the only clincher is finding one with Adaptive M Suspension which is surprisingly not difficult.

The only colour I don’t want is grey.

My GF won’t be pleased if I decided to go ahead in the next 6 weeks. However you only live once and I don’t fancy spending £520/month on the up and coming M240i next year. At that monthly payment I might as well buy an M2 or M4 both of which I’m not at liberty to spend money on right now.
      04-30-2019, 07:40 AM   #18
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Even a 220i cost as much on finance as an M140i.
Really?

You remind me of a Benny Hill Show episode. I can't find a video, but it went like that. Two doors (in an eatery?): "Cheap" and "Cheaper". Your choice is obvious. The same thing ("still cheaper"), the same choice. Again. Taking the last "Cheaper" ("the cheapest") you find yourself in the street.

Quote:
My GF won’t be pleased if I decided to go ahead in the next 6 weeks.
Your GrandFather, you mean (the one who always knows better)?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 10:38 AM   #19
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Really?

You remind me of a Benny Hill Show episode. I can't find a video, but it went like that. Two doors (in an eatery?): "Cheap" and "Cheaper". Your choice is obvious. The same thing ("still cheaper"), the same choice. Again. Taking the last "Cheaper" ("the cheapest") you find yourself in the street.

Your GrandFather, you mean (the one who always knows better)?
Lol! I’m definitely hunting for the last cheaper.

As for my GF(Great friend and Girlfriend) I bought her an iPhone XR earlier this month and we’ve ordered an well optioned G01 for her to potter around in so she’s not in a position to object to an upgrade for myself.

Either way I’m taking time off work next month to play the field by trying the Golf R, RS4, M140i, M4 and C63. On the other hand there is no point as the finance offers for the M140i are unbeatable. *Geez, I should stop trying to talk myself out of buying the car*
      05-03-2019, 02:51 PM   #20
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Update! I've placed an order. £333 deposit and £343/month for:

M140i Shadow Edition Edition
Alpine White
Cognac leather
Gloss black trim
Automatic
Adaptive M Suspension
Front Parking Sensors
Heated seats

It's a deal of the century and one that I would have regretted not exploiting. You only live once and in two months there won't be a 6 cylinder 3L hatchback avilable to order new.

My GF won't appreciate the sound of a throaty engine firing up on the drive way every morning!
      05-04-2019, 10:11 AM   #21
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
My GF won't appreciate the sound of a throaty engine firing up on the drive way every morning!
If making your GF suffer is so important (you mention it every time ), don't overlook just marrying her: ruin her life completely, thoroughly!
Appreciate 1
Crassus229.00
      05-04-2019, 01:50 PM   #22
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
If making your GF suffer is so important (you mention it every time ), don't overlook just marrying her: ruin her life completely, thoroughly!
My biggest challenge will be deciding on how to mod the car.......or resist doing so. I've seen some very cool ones on Instagram. Aftermarket parts are affordable and some comestic parts cost peanuts.

It's a shame that the Finale Edition won't be offered at the UK because the all the additional features e.g. Adaptive Dampers, Front Parking Sensors, Wireless Charging, Sun Roof and Comfort Access, Professional Media, Metallic Paint and Extended storage add less than 1/3 of their real cost to the price over a regular M140i.

Either way the Shadow Edition still add a few goodies like Cruise Control and HK Sound.

Last edited by Crassus; 05-04-2019 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 0