BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Porsche 718 advice needed

03-31-2019, 01:22 AM   #1
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Porsche 718 advice needed

A family member in California is interested in this boxster, but is hesitating because it's been sitting on the lot for almost 5 months now (listed for sale). Any advice on what it's really worth and if it's overpriced or a good deal? Initial contact with the sales manager yielded no results. He flat out claimed about a month ago that they aren't discounting it.

Is there a reason it's not selling that I don't know? Thanks in advance for any help.

https://www.rusnakpasadenaporsche.co...ca2a80js211022
      03-31-2019, 01:29 AM   #2
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Sales manager sounds like a douche nozzle.
Appreciate 1
paliknight2191.50
      03-31-2019, 04:23 AM   #3
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
My 2017 718 Boxster listed for $70k new and I was able to get it CPO with 1700 miles for $55k last July. This seems fairly close to what I paid considering the extra options this has over mine. This has sport exhaust, PDK and multifunction steering wheel.

It also depends how much they are in to the car, meaning they could have paid a little more than they wanted so can’t let it go for less without losing money. That isn’t your issue though. I also notice cars cost more in CA. Have you consider looking out of state?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 04:35 AM   #4
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Okay, I think I know why it’s priced a wee bit higher. I believe this is a corporate vehicle. If you look at the carfax, there is no history prior to 4223 miles which is what this car claims to have. I think the buyer would be the first person to actually title the car. I think the dealers try to take the angle that it would be considered new despite the in service date still being when the car was first driven. I was looking at a boxster gts in the same situation and the dealer was trying to tell me that it was new and they were discounting it $20k. I kept saying it’s not discounted, it’s used and that is what the market price would be for a typical gts with that many miles lol. Then he said I’d be the first person to title it. Honestly that doesn’t mean anything since the warranty still goes by the in service date, not the titling date. It’s still a used vehicle.

I am not sure why they try to sell these corporate vehicles for more. Maybe because they know they haven’t been abused? I’m not really sure.

I’d ask for the complete history and build sheet and then look for another...there is one out there...with exact or similar options. Also carmine red, chalk, lava orange and Miami blue all are $2500 options. If you can live without those colors, you can save some money there if buying CPO from a Porsche dealer.
Appreciate 1
paliknight2191.50
      03-31-2019, 07:08 AM   #5
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post

Is there a reason it's not selling that I don't know? Thanks in advance for any help.

Why it's not selling - IMO:
1. Miami blue on a 718. (says the man who has YMB on a convertible...) Miami should only ever be on a 911, in my opinion.
2. No sports exhaust. All new 718's come with sports exhaust.

5 months might not be a long time for this kind of unique car.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 09:19 AM   #6
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring, 993 C4S, M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
A family member in California is interested in this boxster, but is hesitating because it's been sitting on the lot for almost 5 months now (listed for sale). Any advice on what it's really worth and if it's overpriced or a good deal? Initial contact with the sales manager yielded no results. He flat out claimed about a month ago that they aren't discounting it.

That's about a 16% discount I think. It's possible to get 10-12% discounts on a new one, depending on the market.

Boxsters don't sell. The color is polarizing at best. It's been sitting on the lot for half a year with >4000 miles and is a demo. It's also a base Boxster.

I wouldn't buy a car like that unless it was a no brainer deal. >20% discount, IMO. Mid to low 50s.
Appreciate 1
paliknight2191.50
      03-31-2019, 10:20 AM   #7
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 24'G05 X5 50e

Garage List
Sometimes men stay bachelors cause they haven't found the right girl, sometimes they never look for her either. This girl looks repellent to me and would rather buy 3-4 cars for 5g's less or 3-4 cars 10g's more.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 01:16 PM   #8
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

With an exception to Tuxedos post (didn't understand), thank you everyone for the responses. The family member that wants to buy this wants to Turo it in San Francisco. Hence the convertible Miami blue color. Both of those options are desirable in a strange city like SF.

I'm more of a 911 fan and have done extensive research on them, but not on boxsters. I know I could get him 5% off a new order, which isn't much so I was wondering what the experts advised.
      04-02-2019, 04:52 PM   #9
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

To clear up a bit of the info in previous posts on this thread:

- PSE (Porsche Sport Exhaust) only became standard equipment on 718s for the 2019 model year.

- An untitled car with >4K miles easily could have been a PEC track car. Now that Porsche has an Experience Center in that area, I can almost guarantee that the one in question was used that way.
If that's the case, that's a double-edged sword: more hardcore wear-and-tear, but Porsche mechanics have been all over that car from its arrival until its retirement from PEC. In any case, the warranty shouldn't be placed into effect until it's sold to whoever titles it.

- Miami Blue is pretty much the signature color for 718s. Check the official press photos, among others. So, to the yahoo who says Miami Blue should only be on 911s: Not only does Porsche vehemently disagree with you, I disagree with you (and I own one that's another shade of blue) -- and if you've ever seen a Miami Blue 718 in person, you'd understand. It's stunning. STUNNING.

- Boxsters DO sell -- particularly in SoCal and Florida. What Boxsters don't do often in that area is serve as PEC cars, so that's a pretty rare offering. Even so, I'd agree with the consensus: ask for at least a 20 percent discount and get a FULL accounting of the car's life before being offered for sale, in writing ...

... though the link in your OP now leads to the dealer's general inventory page, so apparently the car sold? (So much for Miami Blue Boxsters not selling ... sigh.)
Appreciate 2
      04-02-2019, 05:47 PM   #10
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
To clear up a bit of the info in previous posts on this thread:

- PSE (Porsche Sport Exhaust) only became standard equipment on 718s for the 2019 model year.

- An untitled car with >4K miles easily could have been a PEC track car. Now that Porsche has an Experience Center in that area, I can almost guarantee that the one in question was used that way.
If that's the case, that's a double-edged sword: more hardcore wear-and-tear, but Porsche mechanics have been all over that car from its arrival until its retirement from PEC. In any case, the warranty shouldn't be placed into effect until it's sold to whoever titles it.

- Miami Blue is pretty much the signature color for 718s. Check the official press photos, among others. So, to the yahoo who says Miami Blue should only be on 911s: Not only does Porsche vehemently disagree with you, I disagree with you (and I own one that's another shade of blue) -- and if you've ever seen a Miami Blue 718 in person, you'd understand. It's stunning. STUNNING.

- Boxsters DO sell -- particularly in SoCal and Florida. What Boxsters don't do often in that area is serve as PEC cars, so that's a pretty rare offering. Even so, I'd agree with the consensus: ask for at least a 20 percent discount and get a FULL accounting of the car's life before being offered for sale, in writing ...

... though the link in your OP now leads to the dealer's general inventory page, so apparently the car sold? (So much for Miami Blue Boxsters not selling ... sigh.)
The 718 is a fantastic car. I've thrashed one and it compared favorably to the 981 - and I used to own a GT4. Excellent dynamics and the engine is sweet (the sound, however.....). But 718 sales have been flat at best and Porsche sells more of everything else in comparison. And Porsche can pretty much sell anything they want. The point is that 718 is a buyer's market - at least for a Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 05:50 PM   #11
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
I would never spend a $100k on a Boxter. Looks like a rip off to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 08:48 PM   #12
WestRace
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

2.5L Turbo for 98K? Difficult to justify that.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 09:36 PM   #13
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep

OP listing has expired/sold/removed. Link now points to a GTS.

I paid $100k for a GT4 way back when, so I would also agree that $100k for a GTS Boxster doesn't sound great. That said, I'm sure solid discounts would be available.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 11:05 AM   #14
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotk View Post
But 718 sales have been flat at best and Porsche sells more of everything else in comparison.
Thing is, Porsche has pretty much always sold more of everything else in comparison. It's not a 718 thang. It's a Boxster/Cayman thang ... in fact, it's a sports car thang:

Boxster/Cayman sales started tailing off significantly during the 2008 model year. Why? Recession -- and the 981 model didn't help it rebound. Why? Sports cars in general aren't nearly as popular as they used to be. That's a worldwide shift in taste that no sports car, no matter how good, has weathered well.

911 sales also tailed off during the recession. But partially because the model range is more broad and the car is more of a luxury GT than an out-and-out sports car, sales rebounded by 2012-2013 -- but even that has tailed off the last three years or so. Sales of the 992 will be very telling because in certain markets, the 718 outsold the 911 during the spring and summer months in 2018.

Using a year-by-year comparison with the 981's life cycle, 718s are selling at about a 10 percent higher rate worldwide. It's actually doing better than the 981 did, though it's almost statistically insignificant. All of that is really no matter, though: sports cars like the 718 simply don't sell in this day and age. Tastes have changed. It's really as simple as that.
Appreciate 2
      04-03-2019, 11:10 AM   #15
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

People have moved away from sports cars, but the good ones, Miatas and 718s continue to sell year after year. It's the forgettable ones that come out with strong sales for a year or year and a half and then just stop selling all together.

Looking at you Z4, Supra, SLC, TT, 4C and others. Is it coincidence that the steady sellers offer a manual and the others don't? Wonder what this means for the C8? Is it possible that we finally get the long promised mid engine Corvette and it kills the whole thing?
Appreciate 2
      04-03-2019, 11:21 AM   #16
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
People have moved away from sports cars, but the good ones, Miatas and 718s continue to sell year after year. It's the forgettable ones that come out with strong sales for a year or year and a half and then just stop selling all together.

Looking at you Z4, Supra, SLC, TT, 4C and others. Is it coincidence that the steady sellers offer a manual and the others don't? Wonder what this means for the C8? Is it possible that we finally get the long promised mid engine Corvette and it kills the whole thing?
GREAT points.
Appreciate 0