BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Tuning in California Just Got Harder

07-16-2021, 09:51 PM   #45
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
I imagine sound restrictions will come sooner or later. I mean tbh, I personally 95 to 100db is extremely reasonable as a street limit. Any louder and you really should be at a race track. Don’t get me wrong, I love loud cars and I would go to Sonoma just to watch GT3 cups screaming at full bore. Plus 95-100db is still really loud, I think that cars are just so insulated that people don’t realize how loud their exhaust really is
I believe Europe's max is 80db. Now tested on loudest exhaust setting for all new vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 10:08 PM   #46
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
I imagine sound restrictions will come sooner or later. I mean tbh, I personally 95 to 100db is extremely reasonable as a street limit. Any louder and you really should be at a race track. Don’t get me wrong, I love loud cars and I would go to Sonoma just to watch GT3 cups screaming at full bore. Plus 95-100db is still really loud, I think that cars are just so insulated that people don’t realize how loud their exhaust really is
I believe Europe's max is 80db. Now tested on loudest exhaust setting for all new vehicles.
Oooh big ooof. 80db is certainly not quiet but it's not going to be very loud. I don't think that the US would enforce that on older cars though, although it will likely add a lot more scrutiny to people running loud exhaust setups. Wealthy towns in CA are already imposing sound restrictions, so I imagine it won't be terribly long until it's a state wide thing. Even so, we have rules in CA but not a lot of people follow them anyway lol
      07-16-2021, 10:57 PM   #47
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Won't matter really since stock cars aren't the problem. They're already quiet as it is. The real nuisance are all the shitboxes with burble tunes. It's not an issue I experience in the Bay Area due to its more civilized demographic and extreme socioeconomic homogeneity, but it's really bad in LA. Regardless of where you are, the noise of cars across the entire spectrum winding out a few gears is endless through the night. If you see a Lambo, clapped out black Infinity, or kid in an F30 at a traffic light, you can bet your last penny it's going WOT when the light turns green. Followed by burbles.

But hey...I like some cars loud.
Spot on, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 10:21 PM   #48
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonDot View Post
No, it doesn't. It's a lovely feeling knowing that people despise anything California.
Of course stockholm syndrome is a thing, some ppl will find joy in their servitude and make little smiley faces at all the ways their freedoms are lost one at a time
Appreciate 1
jmack548.50
      07-18-2021, 01:31 AM   #49
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Smog laws here aren’t so bad. The gun laws on the other hand...
      07-18-2021, 09:53 AM   #50
JasonDot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4, X3 and 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Of course stockholm syndrome is a thing, some ppl will find joy in their servitude and make little smiley faces at all the ways their freedoms are lost one at a time
Maybe "some people" are just tougher than you and don't bitch about shit that doesn't concern them? What part of California do you live in or take business in?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 11:11 AM   #51
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

California is a great place to live...if you want all your personal freedoms taken away and pay a lot more tax for "free lol" health care, head up to Canukistan. Coming from Canada to California has been a significant improvement and the health care down here is way better to boot. Having been to many of the states, I haven't found one I like better than California. I will say the smog thing is a cash grab and annoying though but it's just part of the democrat agenda of pushing out fossil fuels. Other states will follow unfoturnately.
      07-18-2021, 11:51 AM   #52
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Post your comments while you still can. Thread soon to be locked due to its political nature in 3,2,1....
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 11:53 AM   #53
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
Canuckistan? Nice racist overtone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
California is a great place to live...if you want all your personal freedoms taken away and pay a lot more tax for "free lol" health care, head up to Canukistan. Coming from Canada to California has been a significant improvement and the health care down here is way better to boot. Having been to many of the states, I haven't found one I like better than California. I will say the smog thing is a cash grab and annoying though but it's just part of the democrat agenda of pushing out fossil fuels. Other states will follow unfoturnately.
Ohlins R&T coilovers, Turner monoball thrust arms, F87 LCAs, GC camber plates, Superpro subframe bushings, Megan Racing adj. RCAs, delrin differential bushings. Stoptech BBK 6 piston (f) 4 piston (r).
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 02:25 PM   #54
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingpanda View Post
All of the more reason to stay away from Commiefornia.
How is it Commiefornia when it has most of the US's most successful companies, an economy the size of Germany (with a population half the size of Germany)?

California is around 15% of the US GDP with around $80K per capita. If CA really were communist, it would mean Communism works since the quality of life is way better than any of the so called deep red states. CA per capital GDP is around 50% higher than either Texas or Florida. About the same as NY. Just check it up…

Yeah, it's easy to hate on CA…
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 02:48 PM   #55
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Dont forget how san Francisco needs an app to alert all tbe public defecation spots because its such a big problem there

Wonder why joe rogan and tesla moved out of commiefornia for texas, after being there for decades??? I guess they were jealous too,
Appreciate 1
jmack548.50
      07-18-2021, 02:53 PM   #56
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Dont forget how san Francisco needs an app to alert all tbe public defecation spots because its such a big problem there

Wonder why joe rogan and tesla moved out of commiefornia for texas, after being there for decades??? I guess they were jealous too,
LOL. Tesla hasn't moved production or R&D out or CA. Plus, Tesla's HQ might have moved to Austin, TX - which pretty much has the same set up as SF and even more left overall than SF in terms of voting from what I can tell…

Remember, Space X and Tesla are products of CA. Elon spends most of his time in CA. Texas is just a tax break…

Why should anyone care about Joe Rogan? Isn't he just an actor or celebrity?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 02:59 PM   #57
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
How is it Commiefornia when it has most of the US's most successful companies, an economy the size of Germany (with a population half the size of Germany)?

California is around 15% of the US GDP with around $80K per capita. If CA really were communist, it would mean Communism works since the quality of life is way better than any of the so called deep red states. CA per capital GDP is around 50% higher than either Texas or Florida. About the same as NY. Just check it up…

CA and NY debt to GDP ratio is higher than both TX and FL.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 03:00 PM   #58
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
LOL. Tesla hasn't moved production or R&D out or CA. Plus, Tesla's HQ might have moved to Austin, TX - which pretty much has the same set up as SF and even more left overall than SF in terms of voting from what I can tell…

Remember, Space X and Tesla are products of CA. Elon spends most of his time in CA. Texas is just a tax break…

Tesla is building a gigafactory in Austin, TX right now. They will produce model Y and cybertruck in Texas.

Elon has been living in Bosa Chica, TX. His 16,000sq ft home in Bay Area is for sale.

He is basically building his own SpaceX city in Bosa Chica, TX where they build and test rockets.

Last edited by hellrotm; 07-18-2021 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 03:06 PM   #59
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

CA and NY debt to GDP ratio is higher than both TX and FL.
LOL. That is a completely meaningless number since it just shows that investors are more likely to lend to CA and NY. I bet West VA or Mississippi has an ever lower debt to GDP ratio.

When one looks at economics the key values are GDP and per capita GDP. CA public universities are also some of the highest rated, which drives innovation…

is that the best metric that one can come up with to show that CA aka 'commiefornia' is failing? 😂
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2021, 03:08 PM   #60
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Tesla is building a gigafactory in Austin, TX right now. They will produce model Y and cybertruck in Texas.
You do realize that Austin, TX isn't like the typical Red Voting areas. Right? There is a reason Tesla picked Austin and not (not sure which is the most conservative city in Texas) that would be the opposite of CA. Austin, TX is pretty much like SF with no state income tax.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 03:09 PM   #61
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
LOL. That is a completely meaningless number since it just shows that investors are more likely to lend to CA and NY. I bet West VA or Mississippi has an ever lower debt to GDP ratio.

When one looks at economics the key values are GDP and per capita GDP. CA public universities are also some of the highest rated, which drives innovation…

is that the best metric that one can come up with to show that CA aka 'commiefornia' is failing? ��
No West Virginia has a higher debt to GDP ratio than California. Mississippi is in the middle of the pack.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 03:11 PM   #62
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Elon has been living in Bosa Chica, TX. His 16,000sq ft home in Bay Area is for sale.

He is basically building his own SpaceX city in Bosa Chica, TX where they build and test rockets.
Apple builds their phones in China and designs them in CA.

With respect to Tesla, time will tell how the next phase turns out. For now, like most US tech companies their success is a reflection of the talent and environment in CA.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 03:12 PM   #63
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
You do realize that Austin, TX isn't like the typical Red Voting areas. Right? There is a reason Tesla picked Austin and not (not sure which is the most conservative city in Texas) that would be the opposite of CA. Austin, TX is pretty much like SF with no state income tax.
I have a home in Austin. So yes I know the demographics. The kooks are in and around downtown, the surrounding areas in Travis county(burbs) are conservative.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2021, 03:22 PM   #64
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have a home in Austin. So yes I know the demographics. The kooks are in and around downtown, the surrounding areas in Travis county(burbs) are conservative.
Not saying CA is perfect. But people don't know that Travis County, which is where Austin is actually voted >70% for Biden. Austin (and surrounding areas) , politics is very different from rest of Texas. You are making it sound like Austin is like the rest of Texas. It is clearly not!

Anyway, let's see what happens…but just ragging on CA is a great pastime on these forums.

I did my undergrad from UT Austin. FWIW. I have many friends who work for Apple, IBM, Dell etc in Austin. They are neither kooks or commies (as you would describe someone).
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 03:23 PM   #65
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Not saying CA is perfect. But people don't know that Travis County, which is where Austin is actually voted >70% for Biden. Austin, politics is very different from rest of Texas. You are making it sound like Austin is like the rest of Texas. It is clearly not!

Anyway, let's see what happens…but just ragging on CA is a great pastime on these forums.
I am from CA, born and raised. Went to college in Cali. Texas is my second home.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 07:25 PM   #66
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
I am from CA, born and raised. Went to college in Cali. Texas is my second home.
I’m gonna call bullshit on this one. No one born here calls it “Cali.”
Appreciate 0