BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Autocar: A45 AMG vs GTI vs M135i Review

07-09-2013, 04:55 AM   #133
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornady View Post
The S3 looks better inside and outside. Fact.
Er...no...that'd be total, subjective, biased opinion. We all have them, and are totally entitled to them. By all means express your opinions, but please. don't declare them as facts
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #134
Hornady
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
Er...no...that'd be total, subjective, biased opinion. We all have them, and are totally entitled to them. By all means express your opinions, but please. don't declare them as facts

Read the reviews and the critics and the generally consensus that the S3 is better looking inside and out. The inside standard is best in class.

Im sure the M135i can win on pure driving pleasure though.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #135
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:

Read the reviews and the critics and the generally consensus that the S3 is better looking inside and out. The inside standard is best in class.
I have read some reviews, and there seems to be no consensus.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #136
leetennis
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornady
Quote:

Im sure the M135i can win on pure driving pleasure though.
So to decide whether you like the look of something you read a review and ask everyone else first, weird.

I like the look, probably could be improved but it is what it is, I bought one, some interior materials feel a bit suspect, however, I had a run out in a Maserati grab tourismo sport yesterday which also had some iffy interior bits. Perfection isnt possible when everyone is judging.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #137
Hornady
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leetennis View Post
So to decide whether you like the look of something you read a review and ask everyone else first, weird.

I like the look, probably could be improved but it is what it is, I bought one, some interior materials feel a bit suspect, however, I had a run out in a Maserati grab tourismo sport yesterday which also had some iffy interior bits. Perfection isnt possible when everyone is judging.
No i thought the 1er was ugly from day 1. Didnt need any help deciding that at all.

But i read reviews of the S3 and went to see one and agreed with the view that interior its much nicer and the new S3 is also better looking. The AMG is also much better looking than the 1er.

Im of the opinion that BMW makes its cars ugly on purpose so you go for the higher priced models. But then again im not sold on the new 4 either.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #138
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
No i thought the 1er was ugly from day 1. Didnt need any help deciding that at all.

But i read reviews of the S3 and went to see one and agreed with the view that interior its much nicer and the new S3 is also better looking. The AMG is also much better looking than the 1er.

Im of the opinion that BMW makes its cars ugly on purpose so you go for the higher priced models. But then again im not sold on the new 4 either.
Fascinating!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 01:48 AM   #139
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Fascinating!
I know a lot of people who prefer the looks of the F20 over the F30. If you compare them in pictures, the F30 does well, but when you park them next to eachother and compare live, the F20 comes out on top. I also know more people who hate the F30 front lights (the connection to the kidneys) than the F20 front lights.

That said, the F10 seems to appeal to pretty much everybody. Very nice car.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #140
Hornady
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I know a lot of people who prefer the looks of the F20 over the F30. If you compare them in pictures, the F30 does well, but when you park them next to eachother and compare live, the F20 comes out on top. I also know more people who hate the F30 front lights (the connection to the kidneys) than the F20 front lights.

That said, the F10 seems to appeal to pretty much everybody. Very nice car.
I agree with the new style 3 series lights arent that great either.

I dont understand why BMW has to force these polarising features on to its customers.

Aston Martin and McLaren use the Golden Ratio to design their cars which is the universal ratio of nature which basically makes something attractive. Its no big secret and its not exactly rocket science either. Its been around since Davinci

Take away the droopy head lights on the 1er and the car would look perfectly fine. It wasnt needed at all. It looks worse on the SE model, id have to go with M135i if i went 1er.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #141
pron
Private
Rep
Drives: 125i M sport

Automobil have "tested" Audi S3 vs M135i vs A45 AMG.

They put the A45 at first, M135i next and S3 last.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #142
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

I think these cars are all very good, so it is kind of stupid to rank them. What they should do, is focus on the differences. Depending of which priorities the potential customers have, there will be a different "winner". And looks is also just a matter of individual taste.

In my case, the choice is very simple, since I prefer rear wheel drive! :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #143
elstoof
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Aston Martin and McLaren use the Golden Ratio to design their cars which is the universal ratio of nature which basically makes something attractive. Its no big secret and its not exactly rocket science either. Its been around since Davinci
I don't think you've quite grasped the background or application of the golden ratio; this is like comparing Tchaikovsky to whale song.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #144
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

be on the lookout for /Chris Harris on Cars this wednesday...he will be doing a proper review of the two cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #145
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pron View Post
Automobil have "tested" Audi S3 vs M135i vs A45 AMG.

They put the A45 at first, M135i next and S3 last.
shouldn't it be against the Rs3 and the 1m coupe though?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #146
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
shouldn't it be against the Rs3 and the 1m coupe though?
Probably, but given the 1M went out of production almost a year ago and the RS3 is also in the pipeline for a replacement there was really nothing else out there at this time.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #147
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

German autozeitung also has his test comparo up a few days now: xDrive against A45. Merc wins when you want a sports car. Surprinsingly to some of the fan boys here, the A45 is less understeer on the limit and balance is a bit better. The Merc has surprinsingly little turbo lag, although the torque is kicking in a few hundred rpms later.

The best car in daily operations is the M135i xDrive seen it's more practical (!?) and also seems to be special when you're not driving like a lunatic. I guess this counts... the fight is really close though.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #148
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
I agree with the new style 3 series lights arent that great either.

I dont understand why BMW has to force these polarising features on to its customers.

Take away the droopy head lights on the 1er and the car would look perfectly fine. It wasnt needed at all. It looks worse on the SE model, id have to go with M135i if i went 1er.

Well, it baffles me why BMW keep pushing their designers as some kind of half Gods, while they are consistent in delivering really poor and inferior design. The F20 was really a test to adhere to BMW and to be frank, every time I see one, it still looks ugly as hell. This evening a Mazda 6 overtook me, and to be honest, it's a real pure beauty.

So when they dan do this, why not this premium and overpriced brand?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #149
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine* View Post
Probably, but given the 1M went out of production almost a year ago and the RS3 is also in the pipeline for a replacement there was really nothing else out there at this time.
yeah but I bet the 1 year out of production 1m coupe can still beat it lol.

This is like a comparo between M3, c350, and s5.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 03:11 AM   #150
Hornady
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
Well, it baffles me why BMW keep pushing their designers as some kind of half Gods, while they are consistent in delivering really poor and inferior design. The F20 was really a test to adhere to BMW and to be frank, every time I see one, it still looks ugly as hell. This evening a Mazda 6 overtook me, and to be honest, it's a real pure beauty.

So when they dan do this, why not this premium and overpriced brand?
The 1er front is a face that only a 1 series owner can love.

If they fix it we will come...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 03:16 AM   #151
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
The 1er front is a face that only a 1 series owner can love.
Yes, I think it is nicer than your E92 front face! :-)

I guess the owners don't like the looks because they own it, but more the other way around. They own it because they like the look of it.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 03:27 AM   #152
Hornady
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I think it is nicer than your E92 front face! :-)

I guess the owners don't like the looks because they own it, but more the other way around. They own it because they like the look of it.
Well its not because the front of the E92 was clearly adopted by the M3 and everyone knows that M knows how to style a car.

M even used the e92 based bumper and lights on the M3 Saloon further proving my point.

The fact that the 1er LCI and 2er are going to ditch the front end of the current model also proves that its been pretty much universally disliked. Also you can bet the M2 wont be using those headlights either.

Now im not saying that the 1er is totally ugly because it does have some nice features which make it worth buying. Especially the M135i. But those headlights are holding the car back.

Also BMW needs to understand where its sales go. My bet is that 80% of all 1 series sales are to company car owners. That usually means the poor souls dont really have much say. This does not vindicate the 1 series design.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 03:45 AM   #153
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Also BMW needs to understand where its sales go. My bet is that 80% of all 1 series sales are to company car owners. That usually means the poor souls dont really have much say. This does not vindicate the 1 series design.
That is a British thing. A lot of 1-series and 3-series BMWs sold as company cars. In other markets, these cars are mostly sold as private cars.

And BMW pretty much always change the lights on facelift models.

You say like the look of the M135i more than the other F20/F21s. They are almost identical to an M-Sport 114i. Just some minor details like the color of the mirror caps and a stripe instead of fog lights.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 03:54 AM   #154
Hornady
Banned
Rep

Quote:
That is a British thing. A lot of 1-series and 3-series BMWs sold as company cars. In other markets, these cars are mostly sold as private cars.

And BMW pretty much always change the lights on facelift models.

You say like the look of the M135i more than the other F20/F21s. They are almost identical to an M-Sport 114i. Just some minor details like the color of the mirror caps and a stripe instead of fog lights.
No i said i liked the M135i for other features, not looks. In fact the reason i haven't bought one is because of its front end. It looks ok from some angles and in some photos. I just want the LCI or 2er to come out.
Appreciate 0