BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > C8 Z06......Wow

07-23-2022, 08:41 PM   #881
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
Most brands keep some family resemblance between all of their cars and the lights, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, the list goes on and on. This makes no sense. The rear ends look totally different.
Mainly the tail lights though.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 09:02 PM   #882
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Mainly the tail lights though.
How do these look even remotely similar?

Please explain this to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 10:05 PM   #883
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Quote:
I actually have driven a ferrari lol. But the 488.

I don't know where i lost some of you if you're thinking i am implying ferrari isn't a good brand. Who in their right mind would say ferrari isn't a great car brand? It is. It's what we all dreamed of driving when we were kids. Some were lucky to drive them, i drove one. Some were lucky to own one.

I am saying FOR THE PRICE, GM gave us their version of the 458 but better. Meaning it has a ferrari like sound (i still think it sounds better than the 458), it has more power, it has modern tech and looks and it has a warranty. For pennies when you compare it to actual supercar/exotic prices.

If i was rich, i'd have a ferrari, and still would want a z06. Which some ferrari owners are actually doing as said on the corvette forum.

But for the value and the potential performance it has, the z06 is a better buy over a 458. We can argue until our eyes bleed on how we're interpreting what is "better". I'm saying in todays world, for the price, the value of performance, GM gave us a better version of the 458.
The z06 is absolutely a great value for the price despite being more than expected. I hope it provides the same level of driving experience as the Ferrari. I personally don’t think it will be on the same level but if it’s even 70% of the way there it will be great. With a 5 year powertrain warranty. You definitely need some cash in reserve for the unexpected repairs with a Ferrari. They’re pretty reliable overall but there’s always the prospect of staring down a five figure repair bill that could potentially be halfway to six figures if your DCT takes a dump.

Hopefully the z06 engine proves to be reliable and not riddled with problems. Even under warranty it’s frustrating when your new $150k car is sitting in the shop for weeks/months.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      07-23-2022, 10:28 PM   #884
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
How do these look even remotely similar?

Please explain this to me.
Let me help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
Alfisti6496.00
Humdizzle6040.50
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
Cos270608.50
W///7483.50
      07-24-2022, 05:34 AM   #885
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Let me help.
Exactly. Thank you.

That's where people were getting the reference from. I didn't even think of it at first until everyone started to call it out. Then i was like oh shit yeah i can see the resemblance lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 05:41 AM   #886
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
The z06 is absolutely a great value for the price despite being more than expected. I hope it provides the same level of driving experience as the Ferrari. I personally don’t think it will be on the same level but if it’s even 70% of the way there it will be great. With a 5 year powertrain warranty. You definitely need some cash in reserve for the unexpected repairs with a Ferrari. They’re pretty reliable overall but there’s always the prospect of staring down a five figure repair bill that could potentially be halfway to six figures if your DCT takes a dump.

Hopefully the z06 engine proves to be reliable and not riddled with problems. Even under warranty it’s frustrating when your new $150k car is sitting in the shop for weeks/months.

Every car has it's indentity. I don't think GM is trying to make the C8Z EXACTLY like a 458 because it's impossible. For so many reasons that it'll be pointless to list.

As far driving experience. I think that's part of the identity.

A C8Z will feel, or should feel like a corvette should, except it'll sound like an exotic this time. It should provide that same type of experience though the sound and the absence of the manual trans will definitely make that usual corvette experience much different, i think the pedigree will still be there IMO.

I'll have a glimpse of it since i know my stingray will arrive first so i want to try out the dynamics of it. Once i know how good, or not, that is, then i know for sure the z06 will be even more amazing as that's always the case when you go from stingray/base to z06.

The LS7's had their issues. The auto z06's had their issues. That's what warranties are for.

I think the care and ownership for the LT6 might have to be a bit different than previous GM engines only because of the fact that this LT6 can't be babied. And most corvette owners love to just cruise so i could see some potential issues with early adopters because they're not actually revving this engine, and they're just lugging it around town. That's the main issue i see with ownership from some veteran corvette owners.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 05:46 AM   #887
GhostyM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: plenty

Quote:
I actually have driven a ferrari lol. But the 488.

I don't know where i lost some of you if you're thinking i am implying ferrari isn't a good brand. Who in their right mind would say ferrari isn't a great car brand? It is. It's what we all dreamed of driving when we were kids. Some were lucky to drive them, i drove one. Some were lucky to own one.

I am saying FOR THE PRICE, GM gave us their version of the 458 but better. Meaning it has a ferrari like sound (i still think it sounds better than the 458), it has more power, it has modern tech and looks and it has a warranty. For pennies when you compare it to actual supercar/exotic prices.

If i was rich, i'd have a ferrari, and still would want a z06. Which some ferrari owners are actually doing as said on the corvette forum.

But for the value and the potential performance it has, the z06 is a better buy over a 458. We can argue until our eyes bleed on how we're interpreting what is "better". I'm saying in todays world, for the price, the value of performance, GM gave us a better version of the 458.
Agree with you 100%.

I have a Huracan EVO that I paid close to 320k for and it's not 3x the car the Z06 is or ever will be. But I do still absolutely love it. I'm incredibly excited for a Z06, much more than I would for a 458.

Why? Because a 458 is old tech in my eyes. The DCT is sloppy and the looks are slowly wearing on me. The interior is not the best and the modern amenities in newer cars is too good to pass up. 458 is an awesome car, but it just doesn't compare to modern amenities you can get. A C8 Z06 is like the cheaper revival of that platform.

To piggy off the 458 problem... did you know that an 2016 Aventador SV has no native bluetooth? Yeah neither did I until it was too late. Imagine.

If I want a high revving V8, good power, and a fun, modern car. I'm going Z06 all day.
Can't wait for mine in fact! Got a good spot at the big 3!

Last edited by GhostyM; 07-24-2022 at 05:51 AM..
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
      07-24-2022, 06:39 AM   #888
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyM View Post
Agree with you 100%.

I have a Huracan EVO that I paid close to 320k for and it's not 3x the car the Z06 is or ever will be. But I do still absolutely love it. I'm incredibly excited for a Z06, much more than I would for a 458.

Why? Because a 458 is old tech in my eyes. The DCT is sloppy and the looks are slowly wearing on me. The interior is not the best and the modern amenities in newer cars is too good to pass up. 458 is an awesome car, but it just doesn't compare to modern amenities you can get. A C8 Z06 is like the cheaper revival of that platform.

To piggy off the 458 problem... did you know that an 2016 Aventador SV has no native bluetooth? Yeah neither did I until it was too late. Imagine.

If I want a high revving V8, good power, and a fun, modern car. I'm going Z06 all day.
Can't wait for mine in fact! Got a good spot at the big 3!

If i could rep you with all of my points, i would lol.

Corvettes have been competing with supercars for decades. On the track, then that racing pedigree is implemented into their street cars. It's the reason why i got jumped on board back when the C5 was still out on the streets fairly new. It was a tough platform to beat. Lightweight (although no anymore LOL), big v8, very fast out of the box.

People who talk about finances just because one must like a less expensive car just shows insecurities. I could afford an exotic if i want to. If i wanted, i could get a used 458. But why would i do that? Just to say hey everyone i have a ferrari. I can only drive it 500 miles a year because if something breaks, it'll sit in the shop for 3 months, then i have a 30k bill when it's over.

No way. Fast out of the box production cars with warranties have more appeal to me than just trying to show off in a status car.

I have a stingray and the C8Z on the way. I'll have both in my house in the year 2023, although the stingray will come first. So clearly i could get an exotic if i wanted to if i cancel both C8 orders, and just get a used mclaren or something.

I don't want to do that. I like value for performance. I drive my cars. I don't even own a garage. My cars sit in the back of my house under car covers. I use my cars. They don't sit and get driven 1000 miles a year. Whenever i'm not a work, i'm in one of my cars taking aimless drives. I love cars. Doesn't matter what car really.

458 is a legendary car. One of my favorite cars of all time as i said. And it's the reason GM benchmarked it against the C8Z.

The C8Z is that car, although much heavier, but it's better. Bigger engine, more power, sounds better, with a warranty. Drizzled with modern tech, modern looks and better performance.

I can't see why anyone would go and look for a 458 unless you're a collector or just can't be seen "in a chevy" when you can try to score a C8Z which is a better buy, on all counts.

I don't care for badging, otherwise i wouldn't have a tesla, an M3 or a corvette at all. It'll just be a mclaren for a weekend toy, and perhaps something like a GT63 AMG for a daily.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 09:03 AM   #889
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Let me help.
Still don’t see it. I mean, there are some red lights…two wheels…the C8 still doesn’t have a camaro rear end or lights. Nothing in that last picture shows this either. This is like some kind of internet rumor that a bunch of people just agreed to without checking it out.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 06:02 PM   #890
Cos270
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 F22 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Quote:
They didn't jack anything.

All cars got price increases. Had they debuted this car a year or 2 ago, i honestly think it would be around 92k anyway.
Look at the Raptor R. MSRP of $107k, for a pickup truck.

A LT5 crate engine cost $20k. I could see the LT6 cost $30k+. Most of the Z06 price increase is in the engine and inflation.
LT6 will not be available as a crate engine lol, are you insane?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 01:08 AM   #891
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos270 View Post
Not insane at all, per an interview at Sema with GM’s Director for the Performance and Racing Propulsion Team, Russ O’Blenes. A decision has yet to be made. Supply chain will probably be the deciding factor.

"General Motors has considered offering a 5.5L V8 LT6 crate engine, but with demand for the 2023 Corvette Z06 already extremely high, a concrete decision has yet to be made."
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 06:26 AM   #892
Cos270
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 F22 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos270 View Post
Not insane at all, per an interview at Sema with GM’s Director for the Performance and Racing Propulsion Team, Russ O’Blenes. A decision has yet to be made. Supply chain will probably be the deciding factor.

"General Motors has considered offering a 5.5L V8 LT6 crate engine, but with demand for the 2023 Corvette Z06 already extremely high, a concrete decision has yet to be made."
I will be astonished if they do. The engine is almost completely unique compared to any other V8 GM makes. I don't see them having the capacity to pump out any more of them above the quantities already allocated for customer vehicles, supply chain issues or not. I don't think people understand what a huge undertaking it is for a company as big (and standardized) as GM to make an engine like this…
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 08:54 AM   #893
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
99 percent of car dudes buy the car that's at their very limit of affording.
I ordered a new BRZ when I can afford to go buy a new 718. We bought a very modest home when the bank approved me for 3x more.

Not everyone likes to live at the extremes of their budget.
Appreciate 6
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
Cos270608.50
Alfisti6496.00
Humdizzle6040.50
swanson733.00
Red Bread4463.00
      07-25-2022, 09:19 AM   #894
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I ordered a new BRZ when I can afford to go buy a new 718. We bought a very modest home when the bank approved me for 3x more.

Exactly. Like why get an m3 then? Get an m8 competition which is like 150k.

Or why do people get a z06, wait for the zora which would probably cost 200k.

Buying or liking a car that’s less expensive doesn’t always mean you can’t afford something more expensive.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2022, 09:32 AM   #895
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
Exactly. Like why get an m3 then? Get an m8 competition which is like 150k.

Or why do people get a z06, wait for the zora which would probably cost 200k.

Buying or liking a car that’s less expensive doesn’t always mean you can’t afford something more expensive.
Granted, I'd love a new 718, but I just can't justify it. We both work from home and have been sharing a car that last year and a half. I sold my NC last year because I put 900 miles on it in one year. I got it right after the pandemic started, so it was basically our "brunch" car.

But I decided I wanted a fun car again.

I've already got the custom spec'd suspension here for the BRZ and it isn't even built yet.
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
      07-25-2022, 11:09 AM   #896
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
99 percent of car dudes buy the car that's at their very limit of affording.

I'm not talking about some beater you take to lunch. If someone is shopping for a performance car, and can afford an M3/4 there not going to buy 330I unless they cant afford it. Sure , they may say it suits them better but I call Bs. Same as a Porsche. You most likely going to buy the highest model you can afford. Even something like the new Supra. If you can afford the 6 cylinder, that's what most CAR dudes are buying? Get my drift? That's all I'm saying. My daily work vehicle is 2018 F-150 baby. Very high end 🤣. I mean, I wish I could afford a 765LT, but I can't so if I ever go for a MaC it's going to be a lower model.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 12:20 PM   #897
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Granted, I'd love a new 718, but I just can't justify it. We both work from home and have been sharing a car that last year and a half. I sold my NC last year because I put 900 miles on it in one year. I got it right after the pandemic started, so it was basically our "brunch" car.

But I decided I wanted a fun car again.

I've already got the custom spec'd suspension here for the BRZ and it isn't even built yet.
My work commute is 8 miles one way. I rarely drive for work purposes that’s why I got a Tesla.

So the m3 and my c7z and both my c8’s that’ll arrive in 2023 are unnecessary but I got them because that’s my enjoyment.

I could clearly afford an exotic if I wanted to but I didn’t need to say that to prove to anyone on the internet lol.

But it is what it is. I still believe the c8z is a better bang for buck over most exotics. Plain and simple.
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7835.00
      07-25-2022, 01:03 PM   #898
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
My work commute is 8 miles one way. I rarely drive for work purposes that’s why I got a Tesla.

So the m3 and my c7z and both my c8’s that’ll arrive in 2023 are unnecessary but I got them because that’s my enjoyment.

I could clearly afford an exotic if I wanted to but I didn’t need to say that to prove to anyone on the internet lol.

But it is what it is. I still believe the c8z is a better bang for buck over most exotics. Plain and simple.
I would LOVE a new C8Z. I think they look awesome, and that engine. What a marvel by GM.

I just don't make that kind of coin. Now if I get this AWS gig I'm trying to get, I might be able to afford something a bit more insane.

A big part of me wants a loaded out CT4-V Blackwing.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 01:16 PM   #899
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

I agree not everyone tries to reach for the exotic. I mean its cool to experience it. I'd probably pick the 458 over a C8 z06 if i just started coming into money recently. But since i've already had a 458, the c8z makes more sense. I have a GM dealer down the street. parts will be cheap. and its 10 years newer with a warranty. i can get close to ferrari experience without all the drawbacks of keeping low miles and being raked over the coals for servicing. Granted, 458s are pretty cheap to service... but there is always the risk of something catastrophic happening.

i dont think the z06 will get the same attention as a 458 or R8 / Huracan. Valet probably wont put it in front of the fancy restaurant... if that matters to you. People wont come up to you at a gas station thinking your a millionaire.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 01:29 PM   #900
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
I agree not everyone tries to reach for the exotic. I mean its cool to experience it. I'd probably pick the 458 over a C8 z06 if i just started coming into money recently. But since i've already had a 458, the c8z makes more sense. I have a GM dealer down the street. parts will be cheap. and its 10 years newer with a warranty. i can get close to ferrari experience without all the drawbacks of keeping low miles and being raked over the coals for servicing. Granted, 458s are pretty cheap to service... but there is always the risk of something catastrophic happening.

i dont think the z06 will get the same attention as a 458 or R8 / Huracan. Valet probably wont put it in front of the fancy restaurant... if that matters to you. People wont come up to you at a gas station thinking your a millionaire.
What do you think about Ferrari Power15 extended warranty(Engine, Gearbox, PTU, Suspension, Steering and Electrical Systems), $4500/year. Expensive, but complete peace of mind with Ferrari roadside assistance thrown in.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 01:48 PM   #901
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:
What do you think about Ferrari Power15 extended warranty(Engine, Gearbox, PTU, Suspension, Steering and Electrical Systems), $4500/year. Expensive, but complete peace of mind with Ferrari roadside assistance thrown in.
that seems like a good deal. sometimes dealers can negotiate on this and work into the financing. i ran mine without warranty for 3-4 years and 7000 miles. annual service was about 1000 at indy shop (oil change and general lookover). slightly cheaper than what the porsche dealer charges on my 991.2 gt3. I did have a weird sound develop in one shock which was $4k to change. so overall about 7-8k to service for 3 years. so i beat out the warranty by $8k or so.

just depends on how it will be driven, and if you buy a 2010 vs 2015 (2010s had the trans issue pop up more often). if you're daily driving it 5-7k miles a year then the warranty definitely makes sense. if its a 2015 and just a nice weather toy that will maybe see 1-2k miles a year you probably don't need it.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 02:02 PM   #902
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Personally I like to self insure/warranty as much as possible. I'd just save the $4500/year and bet Id come out ahead in the long run. Am I really thinking that there's a good enough chance that I'm going to have $14,000 in maintenance and repairs over 3 years that I'm willing to pre pay? Nuts! If you are considering a used Ferrari you should have enough scratch to cover any potential exposure from service and repair issues.
Appreciate 1
Humdizzle6040.50