BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Still want an EV?

07-22-2022, 09:54 PM   #595
CDN-AWD
Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi TT Coupe

Garage List
Not yet, maybe 2027 or so.
Appreciate 2
chad86tsi170.50
Cos270197.50
      07-25-2022, 10:38 AM   #596
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Just ended up taking the model 3 from FL up to NC and back. Usually we go up in the cayenne, but I was going by myself and gas is $$ and gf wanted to keep the SUV so I said fuck it, let's give it a shot.

Honestly since I never charge outside my garage I was really expecting this to suck ass. The GPS was telling me something like 12 or 13 hours, which even though it's technically like a 10.5-11 hour trip we have never made it in that time because we always have to stop. Usually we do it in 13-14 hours depending on traffic.

Anyways I must say it was actually quite enjoyable and charging was actually not bad at all. Since I left late and was driving alone I decided to stop half way at a hotel. I stopped to charge maybe 3 or 4 times each way. The GPS would purposely navigate you to chargers so you got there with a pretty low charge. So the bulk of the charging was done in like 10-15min although I would typically stay like 20min maybe 30 if I was eating at that stop. Since the hotels had EV charger I would be topped off with a full charge in the morning. So maybe had I not charged at the hotel it would have added another stop.

Regardless the charging stops were fast enough that by the time I went into the store, used the bathroom got something to drink or a snack it was charged enough to continue. If the charger was next to something I wanted to eat then I would let it go until I was done eating. It did not feel like a chore as I originally anticipated. Also having the auto pilot (aka adaptive cruise and lane centering) was great on the long highway stretches. Would definitely take it again when I go up.
Appreciate 3
H2O_Doc297.00
AlexFL6880.00