BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 120d Sport Engine Noise

06-21-2013, 01:33 AM   #23
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 XDrive20d xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I still don't understand what PUMA means.
Factory technical bulletin of a known issue, distributed to dealers, so they can pre-authorise warranty work without having to get approval from BMW first.
      06-21-2013, 03:33 AM   #24
spoonflames
Harvesting Information
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: White M135i 5dr

Car is booked in for Monday to investigate the noise i have.
I also apparently need some software updates so they're doing that too
Keep you posted
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 05:04 AM   #25
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
For greater supply chain, use only the rail without reinforcements! (See Appendix, page 3)
re-reading the French PUMA, this is shocking

Even though they know via case 3 that the rail without reinforcements is faulty, they insist on initially replacing it with the faulty design for "supply chain" issues.

I'm guessing they hope that by the time the faulty one fails again and the case 1/2 becomes a case 3, the warranty will be over and the customer will be left to foot the bill.

Surely this is dodgy/illegal?
      06-23-2013, 06:58 AM   #26
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 18d X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcomma View Post
re-reading the French PUMA, this is shocking

Even though they know via case 3 that the rail without reinforcements is faulty, they insist on initially replacing it with the faulty design for "supply chain" issues.

I'm guessing they hope that by the time the faulty one fails again and the case 1/2 becomes a case 3, the warranty will be over and the customer will be left to foot the bill.

Surely this is dodgy/illegal?
It gives appendix references so you would have to check those out for the conditions that apply to the PUMA statements. It does look a little suspect without seeing what's in the appendices.

I really hope the case 3 pops up in the UK PUMA, mine has to be chain noise, nothing on cold start but after about 2 min you can hear the swish swish becoming audible. Revved at a standstill yesterday and as the revs fall off there is a shhhhh sucking noise almost like an inlet manifold leak.

Considering getting this car RAC inspected.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 06:18 AM   #27
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Since nobody could answer my question about what PUMA is, I found the answer myself. In case somebody else wondered, it is the name of a worldwide BMW database about car issues.

PuMA – Problem und Measures Management Aftersales.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 06:43 AM   #28
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Since nobody could answer my question about what PUMA is, I found the answer myself. In case somebody else wondered, it is the name of a worldwide BMW database about car issues.

PuMA – Problem und Measures Management Aftersales.
You asked what the PUMA was, and that answer was give when what you were really asking was what does PUMA stand for which is different.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 06:51 AM   #29
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob UK View Post
You asked what the PUMA was, and that answer was give when what you were really asking was what does PUMA stand for which is different.
I know my first question was not clear enough, but I tried again by writing "I still don't understand what PUMA means." :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #30
spoonflames
Harvesting Information
United Kingdom
Rep

PUMA case opened on my car im told by the dealer?
something to do with tensioner chain needs replacing no eta on parts yet
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #31
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonflames View Post
PUMA case opened on my car im told by the dealer?
something to do with tensioner chain needs replacing no eta on parts yet
Interesting, what's the build date and how did you present your issue to the dealer, idling noise or chattering on drive etc?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #32
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep

On re-reading this, I don't think I clarified - my 116d too has the sound, it's approaching it's first service now (18k miles thus far). Thing is, I can't remember if it's always been like this - it's difficult to quantify. My partner has a similar mileage 2011 mini countryman D with the 1600cc version of the N47 engine and that also sounds chainy.

I'm just going to say to them "it sounds a bit scratchy" and see what they say - making sure they write my concerns down on the jobcard so if it does go bang I can claim "I told them so"

Funny how even though the Germans invented them, the best diesel engines seem to originate from France...
      06-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #33
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

From what I have read, the chain is unlikely to break but imo UK customers should not have to endure an unnecessarily noisy engine when BMW are applying fixes in other countries.

The UK PUMA line stating "This is the normal case of the world" or words to that effect annoys me actually.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 05:56 AM   #34
spoonflames
Harvesting Information
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Interesting, what's the build date and how did you present your issue to the dealer, idling noise or chattering on drive etc?
Hi Bob,

My car is 30/5/2012.

I basically called the dealer and stated that i wanted an issue investigating;

Noise at idle, and also when at speed
noise increases in frequency at speed, but not pitch
Described as a chattering/chain type noise (I actually also mentioned it sounded like a pair of Maracas shaking!)
quiet, or non-existent when clutch is pressed or when engine is cold
louder when engine is warm

I took it in having travelled 40 or so miles to the dealer, so it was warm when i got there. As they were calling me a taxi to take me to work, the engineer came out and asked if i could quickly go through it with him whilst the engine was warm. Started it up and it was there, very apparent, he popped the bonnet and immediately listened near the top right of the engine cover and agreed there was something to diagnose.

I left the car there, but later realised i may need it the following day (today) so asked the status. The kind lady said a PuMA case had been sent off to Germany and may take a day or so to return, but said i can use the car in the mean time. She also said the engineer had come across 3 or so more of the same issue, specifically with an N47 engine. And mentioned a replacement was there but would do no good, as a 'newer' version of the parts are required, and they are factory order. I am first for the parts, which i don't have a list of unfortunately but will post when i do, i was told it was something related to the timing chain/tensioner.

Keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 06:40 AM   #35
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers spoonflames, I'm pretty sure the UK owners with the N47 engine will be hanging on your every post about this problem and I hope you get the result we all want, which in the end will be a diesel chug without timing slap.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 07:01 AM   #36
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Sounds like you might be making progress Spoonflames.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #37
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Sounds like you might be making progress Spoonflames.
Well you know I'm rooting for him on this issue, where's me popcorn.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #38
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonflames View Post
quiet, or non-existent when clutch is pressed
hmm... are you certain about that?

I think when we start getting successes we should be naming and shaming / praising dealers (at least in the UK). I had excellent service from my dealer when I went in with the rear shock absorbers issue that affected 2011 - mid 2012 builds - I have yet to try them on this though (first service due in 2000 miles!)
      10-01-2013, 05:54 AM   #39
arquerito
Registered
Spain
Rep
Drives: F20 116d Sport

I think i've the same problem with engine noise... my dealer told to me that it was a common noise from the engine

This is the noise:

[u2b]http://youtu.be/En1Vgl8M5yQ[/u2b]

What de you think i've to do?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #40
arquerito
Registered
Spain
Rep
Drives: F20 116d Sport

By the way, do you know if official PUMAs can be downloaded from any site?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 05:30 AM   #41
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I had an unexpected parcel arrive after I had dropped off my car with the dealer to get an A/C whirring problem sorted. Turned out to be a gift from BMW for the delays in getting parts for the timing chain replacement.

Bottle of Champagne and a box of Thorntons Continental White/ Milk / Plain chocolates - nice.
      10-07-2013, 03:54 AM   #42
wolz
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: bmw F20 120d

I got the "swish-swish" noise on my 120d aswell. I have a late 2011 build. When I had my car in for service I told them about this noise and asked them to have a look. Happy to report now that they took it seriuosly and acknowledged that there is indeed a noise not supposed to be there. They filed a case with germany and now car is booked for two days at the workshop for timing-chain related job. So thumbs up for bmw this time!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 05:46 AM   #43
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolz View Post
I got the "swish-swish" noise on my 120d aswell. I have a late 2011 build. When I had my car in for service I told them about this noise and asked them to have a look. Happy to report now that they took it seriuosly and acknowledged that there is indeed a noise not supposed to be there. They filed a case with germany and now car is booked for two days at the workshop for timing-chain related job. So thumbs up for bmw this time!
Two days is pretty quick for fitting the modified kit as it is an engine out job.

Make sure they are fitting a modified kit including chain, guides, rollers and tensioners and ask if they are replacing the water pump timing gear as well.

You will notice the difference straight away and now at least there should be no difficulty getting all the parts.
      10-07-2013, 07:04 AM   #44
wolz
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: bmw F20 120d

Quote:
Two days is pretty quick for fitting the modified kit as it is an engine out job.

Make sure they are fitting a modified kit including chain, guides, rollers and tensioners and ask if they are replacing the water pump timing gear as well.

You will notice the difference straight away and now at least there should be no difficulty getting all the parts.
I'm not sure what parts they will change exactly. When I spoke to them over the phone it felt like they didn't want to say that much. I don't know if the guy on the phone simply was not aware of exactly what is going to be done or if it's just that the situation is a bit delicate and they don't want to "expose" too much info regarding this fault?! You seem to be well informed though, you got all the details regarding exactly what parts were changed from the dealer?

I hope they fit the right kit with all the parts concerned included. You got me a bit worried now
Appreciate 0