BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) > bmw driver opinion needed
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-07-2023, 07:52 PM   #1
new_driver
Registered
4
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: bmw x1 2023
Join Date: Dec 2023
Location: Denver

iTrader: (0)

bmw driver opinion needed

What is the best choice of getting my collision damaged carr repaired, go with bmw associated body repair shop or buy the parts and get them replaced?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 11:36 PM   #2
labphoto
New Member
8
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 2007 328i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Phoenix

iTrader: (0)

Go with BMW
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 07:41 AM   #3
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
2065
Rep
1,365
Posts

Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Central Virginia

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Go with the best body shop in your area which may not be your dealership. Ask other owners. Join the BMWCCA and ask your local chapter members. Don't buy your own parts and take them to any body shop that will put them on for you. That's asking for trouble and you won't have everything they'll need anyway. If your insurance recommends a specific body shop, that's probably not the one to use.
Appreciate 2
      12-08-2023, 07:48 AM   #4
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
Westside Guy's Avatar
United_States
5112
Rep
4,024
Posts

Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Hallandale Beach, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
Go with the best body shop in your area which may not be your dealership. Ask other owners. Join the BMWCCA and ask your local chapter members. Don't buy your own parts and take them to any body shop that will put them on for you. That's asking for trouble and you won't have everything they'll need anyway. If your insurance recommends a specific body shop, that's probably not the one to use.
I totally agree with your comment about the body shops that insurance companies recommend. Those shops give them discounted rates because of the volume of business they receive. Insurance companies will work with shops of your choosing.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 10:44 AM   #5
GOLFFRR
GOLFFRR's Avatar
10566
Rep
27,424
Posts

Drives: GOLFFRR cart
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: we sell BMWs to "ALL" US states

iTrader: (4)

We filter through body shops before we pick one. Once we do we stick with them unless shown otherwise. I would assume most dealerships would do the same. The one we use now is the same one BMWNA uses on situations they can't fix at the port. (we are located close to the port)

I would recommend you talk to your service rep at the dealership you goto for service and see what/who they recommend. You can then, if you like, look at the reviews of the shop they recommend and go from there.

Also going through a dealership you may (not guaranteed) get a loaner if they have extra which would be a nice bonus but dont count on that of course.

**small disclaimer make sure that any parts that are being replaced are only being replaced with "brand new OEM BMW parts" and not third party parts which most insurance companies will try and push. If you dont have that listed in your binder your insurance company will push that. BMW does nor recognize non brand new BMW OEM parts for replacement, and this could cause you issues down the road with warranty. See it all the time.
__________________

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, PM ME FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Jimmy Miller:Jimmym@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-509-2048
If you have any issues getting a hold of Jimmy M PLEASE PM me, I'm available everyday till 545pm!
Appreciate 2
      12-08-2023, 06:25 PM   #6
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
2065
Rep
1,365
Posts

Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Central Virginia

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
"brand new OEM BMW parts" and not third party parts which most insurance companies will try and push. If you dont have that listed in your binder your insurance company will push that. BMW does nor recognize non brand new BMW OEM parts for replacement, and this could cause you issues down the road with warranty. See it all the time.
I believe you mean "OE" BMW parts. "OEM" could mean a fender sold by, let's say, Bosch, and an alternator sold by Sekurit. "OE" means original equipment from BMW. "OEM" means parts from an original equipment manufacturer but not necessarily from BMW or even used by BMW for that part.
Appreciate 3
shimmy232310.50
GOLFFRR10566.00
      12-11-2023, 09:32 AM   #7
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
shimmy23's Avatar
2311
Rep
3,461
Posts

Drives: GS X5
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: WA

iTrader: (3)

right OE parts carry the bmw branding on the part itself. OEM could be a bosch, AK, etc, but still be the actual company that makes the part for BMW.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 10:13 AM   #8
GOLFFRR
GOLFFRR's Avatar
10566
Rep
27,424
Posts

Drives: GOLFFRR cart
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: we sell BMWs to "ALL" US states

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
I believe you mean "OE" BMW parts. "OEM" could mean a fender sold by, let's say, Bosch, and an alternator sold by Sekurit. "OE" means original equipment from BMW. "OEM" means parts from an original equipment manufacturer but not necessarily from BMW or even used by BMW for that part.
OEM BMW OE BMW either way yes just make sure brand new from BMW direct.
__________________

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, PM ME FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Jimmy Miller:Jimmym@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-509-2048
If you have any issues getting a hold of Jimmy M PLEASE PM me, I'm available everyday till 545pm!
Appreciate 2
shimmy232310.50
      12-11-2023, 10:48 AM   #9
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
TheMidnightNarwhal's Avatar
Canada
2532
Rep
6,175
Posts

Drives: 11' 335is DCT
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
OEM BMW OE BMW either way yes just make sure brand new from BMW direct.
Oh then it's none of those, in that case what you refer to is Genuine parts.

And disagreed, OE parts do the job perfectly well. It's the same part without the BMW logo/branding at a cheaper price.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 10:51 AM   #10
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
TheMidnightNarwhal's Avatar
Canada
2532
Rep
6,175
Posts

Drives: 11' 335is DCT
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

If insurance is paying, I would just go to a certified BMW collision repair center that they list on the BMW website.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 12:48 PM   #11
GOLFFRR
GOLFFRR's Avatar
10566
Rep
27,424
Posts

Drives: GOLFFRR cart
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: we sell BMWs to "ALL" US states

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Oh then it's none of those, in that case what you refer to is Genuine parts.

And disagreed, OE parts do the job perfectly well. It's the same part without the BMW logo/branding at a cheaper price.
Unless its part direct from BMW it could cause you issues down the road.

Im not saying other parts can't do the job, just telling you what BMW standards are and what they will look for
__________________

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, PM ME FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Jimmy Miller:Jimmym@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-509-2048
If you have any issues getting a hold of Jimmy M PLEASE PM me, I'm available everyday till 545pm!
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2023, 03:06 PM   #12
N1rve
Racecar Driver
N1rve's Avatar
No_Country
1212
Rep
1,846
Posts

Drives: BMW M4
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Beverly Hills, California

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_driver View Post
What is the best choice of getting my collision damaged carr repaired, go with bmw associated body repair shop or buy the parts and get them replaced?
Just be mindful that BMW Certified body shops have higher rates and use only OEM parts and not OEM remanufactured. This could lead to having the car totaled if that is what you want/desire.
__________________
N1rve

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST