BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Moving to San Diego?

06-12-2019, 12:32 PM   #23
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzschild Radius View Post
Fake news. It means: Not as many fires as up north.

SD is beautiful. If they make a cost of living adjustment, then you are a lucky guy. Del Mar/La Jolla and the beaches in that area are fantastic!
Is Fidel's still around in Del Mar? As I recall it was up just a little north of the horse track....

Awesome Mexican food and a really cool sunken courtyard area.
I'm wondering if Jake's is still around.....
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2019, 12:37 PM   #24
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

It would appear so...

https://jakesdelmar.com/

Ditto for Fidel's Little Mexico - Yelp and TripAdvisor would indicate it's still open for business.
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2019, 10:28 PM   #25
e90335e36m3
M3
Rep
Drives: M3s

It's official, I am moving to San Diego.

I've made the decision not to sell my home in NC and working to convince the wife that we should rent that, but she is very attached to this home so it's a very emotional conversation on her part.

I would still like to buy a home in SD, new construction, ~400-600K range. As much as I don't want to move to Chula Vista (where I will be working) there are plenty of new homes available for sale and I've generally noticed that in an otherwise unpopular area that has lots of real estate development/construction, home values generally appreciate. Provided, the buyer gets in early enough before the market becomes over saturated. It also looks like there are multiple quick move in homes available which is not a great sign.

If anyone has a good perspective on the SD housing market, please feel free to chime in. My hope is that in the couple of years I am in CA that I break even on the purchase and sale, and build some equity in the process. If I can get some appreciation on the home, that's a great bonus. My employer will cover costs associated with the purchase of the home.
Appreciate 2
PoorLurker1135.00
      06-27-2019, 12:24 AM   #26
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: Evo

I spent 5 weeks in San Diego spread out through a few trips and I was house shopping each time. I only looked at 1 in Chula Vista and hated the area. I looked at dozens of others North and east of the city. You will not get new construction or damn near any house for the price you mentioned. The wife and I were looking at homes for up to 850k and even then we didn't see any we loved. I am not that picky either, grew up in a 600sq ft old home.
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2019, 12:43 PM   #27
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90335e36m3 View Post

I've made the decision not to sell my home in NC and working to convince the wife that we should rent that, but she is very attached to this home so it's a very emotional conversation on her part.

What's the timeframe looking like? Are you able to get storage for items and AirBNB different neighborhoods/areas? I have a friend who moved to SD recently and he mentioned that he wants to move again as it's not the neighborhood he thought it was.
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2019, 02:09 PM   #28
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90335e36m3 View Post

I would still like to buy a home in SD, new construction, ~400-600K range. As much as I don't want to move to Chula Vista (where I will be working) there are plenty of new homes available for sale and I've generally noticed that in an otherwise unpopular area that has lots of real estate development/construction, home values generally appreciate. Provided, the buyer gets in early enough before the market becomes over saturated. It also looks like there are multiple quick move in homes available which is not a great sign.

If anyone has a good perspective on the SD housing market, please feel free to chime in. My hope is that in the couple of years I am in CA that I break even on the purchase and sale, and build some equity in the process. If I can get some appreciation on the home, that's a great bonus. My employer will cover costs associated with the purchase of the home.
It's nice to learn that employer will cover the costs of home purchase transaction. Usually, these programs are in effect for 6-12 months after relocation date. I suggest to rent first. First neighborhood impressions after relocation tend to change over time.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 04:52 PM   #29
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

I live one block from the beach in Santa Monica, which is probably more expensive than San Diego. Rent for 2bed2bath is $3,690. TO me it is worth every penny to live here