BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > How do "you" use your 8sp AT?

09-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2, AW M135i

How do "you" use your 8sp AT?

This has turned out to be one of the most beguiling aspects of the M135i. Although probably lacking in outright driver involvement, it is nonetheless a breathtakingly competent gearbox that, after several months of ownership, I am still only learning to master.

Initially, I shifted the selector to the left to place it in sport mode, only to lose confidence in it when I got left for dead by a Boxster S after I forgot to change up at 1st.

Then I left it in Drive and started to use the paddles to change down before corners so that I could accelerate out faster. That's been terrific. It's amazing just how many times you can change down, sometimes three gears for not a huge reduction in speed.

But I don't like the short space of time with which the gearbox settles back into full auto or Drive, so now, I'm going back to manual gear changes with the shifter to the left.

I'm interested in how other people are using it.

Last edited by mdt; 09-20-2013 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Different car (535i), but same SAT.

I drive in different ways, but find driving in manual mode (stick or paddles) requires a lot of concentration, to be at optimum revs, as there is a lot of gear changing in normal day to day driving.

Normally leave in Drive as the autobox does a pretty good job on its own, and flick the stick across to Sport for rapid overtaking, then back to Drive. I have my car configured to chassis mode only, therefore the stick gets used for switching the gearbox to Sport mode, even when running in Sport setting on the toggle switch.

BTW, the return to auto function when using paddles does vary in my car according to how I'm driving, not a fixed time from my observation and experience.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
kook
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2005 E46 M3

For straight out speed off the line you cant beat just letting the box do its own thing. Just floor it and it sorts the rest out. I do the same as you mdt, flick down a couple of gears on the paddles before corners and then back on the gas. You really only need to "help" the gears along where theres lots of cornering. Are you in Sport + ? That seems to get the gearbox "thinking" the most active, blipping itself on down shifts etc. Thoroughly agree, its a wicked bit of kit, very impressive technically..

2005 Le Mans Blue E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #4
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

I am also wondering. Although I drive a manual, I heard for ZF 8 spd it's better to leave it in auto because the shifts are more consistent and are done in more optimal points. In addition the driver can focus on the turning and braking and then can go faster/safer. Some say some fun is taken out of it, but I am just wondering if the efficiency can yank people away from shifting themselves, either manual of paddles
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 03:58 AM   #5
petay135
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 LCI

This is the brilliant thing about this box, the sheer number of permutations.

I tend to use comfort with D for most cruising, can't really get on with Eco Pro as the car feels dead and it might save me a couple of £ but thats not what I shelled out on the 135 for!

If I then want to press on or feel the need to access more immediate performance then I will adjust the Driver experience switch to Sport and let the box do its thing, if I feel the need for even sportier response then the gear shifter goes to the left which immediately drops a cog but I still leave it in auto. So then Sport box and sport chassis/drivetrain is enabled which has the most aggressive map and changes.

On the twisties I tend to prefer manual operation in sport, or sport plus in the dry, with gear changes primarily by the stick as it slips nicely to hand and gives a slight feel of a straight cut rally style box although a lot smoother lol

I will only really use the paddles on long open swooping bend type roads where the wheel is not turning too much and they remain fully accessible.

It really is many driving experiences in one, this car, superb really
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 04:13 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I also use the paddles to get a couple of down changes, say for accelerating out of a restricted zone and then let it go back to full auto when up to speed.

The fact the box will block change in auto, makes for rapid gear selection when necessary, to quote ZF...

Quote:
Direct gear jumps over two or more gears - including the extreme of shifting from eighth to second - are also possible. In conjunction with the intelligent adaptive shift strategies, this guarantees maximum agility and driving fun.
Can feel pretty aggressive when you kick down, and from about 1200 revs in 8th gear you are virtually red lining (in milliseconds) in 2nd gear. Hard to beat that with any intervention of stick or paddles.

I sense a 6MT is about as many gears you need for manual shifting, the 6AT was easier to control with manual intervention, but the 8AT is as I said in the other post a bit more of a hand full.

I even suggest that any who feel an auto detaches from driver involvement compared to MT, get in the 8AT and drive with manual control and try and keep it in the perfect gear, you'll be involved, far more than you first think.

I enjoy the fact you can be involved to any degree you want, or just forget it and let it sort itself.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 04:20 AM   #7
kook
Private
Australia
Rep

For anyone that missed it here's Chris Harris spin on it, component of the year

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=26917

And the ZF spiel about it. The video shows how it all works, quite interesting if you like that kind of stuff. Am I right in that it has 3 clutches?

http://www.zf.com/corporate/en/produ...nsmission.html

2005 Le Mans Blue E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 07:51 AM   #8
Madgambler
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Hartge, M Xorst, Quaife, B1

Garage List
Shifter pushed to the left in 'S' mode and leave the paddles alone. This combined with Sport mode, not Sport+, seems to suit me best. Only drawback is the engine braking on downshifts is jerky, so you have to lift off the brake pedal to compensate which feels a little weird at first.
      09-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

All good responses here Gents, thanks. Now I have to study them.

That ZF video is amazing. 1000nm torque capability and capacity to shift from 8th to 2nd? Wow.
      09-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #10
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madgambler View Post
Shifter pushed to the left in 'S' mode and leave the paddles alone. This combined with Sport mode, not Sport+, seems to suit me best.
Yes, it's almost how the gearbox should work by default. Unless, of course, you're pottering around the city. This has become my configuration of choice.
      09-25-2013, 12:05 AM   #11
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I've also noticed that pushing the gear stick into sport has the added bonus of turning off auto stop/start.
      10-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #12
kook
Private
Australia
Rep

I've been putting the shifter to the left in the M/S position, switch the car into Sport mode, and then using just the paddles. Found this works just great. This way both hands are always on the wheel and the car doesn't switch itself back to Drive mode. Get yourself on a curvy bit of road where you want both hands on the wheel as much as possible and it works brilliantly. With the engine on song you can ratchet up and down the gears super quick...

2005 Le Mans Blue E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #13
rpagianotto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F22 m235i 8AT

I only drive on sport+ and manual mode! Except if there is a huge traffic jam, in which case I switch to ecopro, D, and just doze off! haha
Oh, and I occasionaly use DSC-OFF when its raining!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #14
Provinomico
Rep
Drives: Series 1 (F20) Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kook View Post
I've been putting the shifter to the left in the M/S position, switch the car into Sport mode, and then using just the paddles. Found this works just great. This way both hands are always on the wheel and the car doesn't switch itself back to Drive mode. Get yourself on a curvy bit of road where you want both hands on the wheel as much as possible and it works brilliantly. With the engine on song you can ratchet up and down the gears super quick...
Same here, I drive mostly on manual using the paddle shifters, on sport mode
Appreciate 0