BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > iDrive restarting every 3 minutes

03-09-2018, 01:48 PM   #1
beemer30
Rep
Drives: F21

iDrive restarting every 3 minutes

Hello everyone! I'm new here and in desperate need for help please!
I have a F21 2012 model. Since the past 2 weeks my iDrive has decided to reboot every 3 minutes on its own. It does not recognise my ipod anymore. I can't play music through the ipod, USB, CD, or every auxillary cable. I also cannot connect my mobile phone via Bluetooth as well. The only thing that works is the FM radio. Every time it restarts I get the BMW logo on the screen. It's really frustrating unfortunately!

I have tried disconnecting the battery, but no luck. The software update is the latest. I called BMW but they are charging me almost £160 just for a 1 hour diagnostic

I would really appreciate some tips as to what I can do to resolve this. I have searched the Internet for help, and seems like a recognised issue. But no solutions so far.

Thanks in advance for any help!!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 02:56 PM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

What's wrong with this: Bmw I Drive Keeps Rebooting? There's a nested link to DomMuc suggesting a valid solution. Confirmed.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 05:18 PM   #3
beemer30
Rep

Hello, thanks for the reply! I read that thread earlier, but was trying to avoid going to the dealer if I could purely because of the charges for diagnostics. So was hoping for some cheap DIY solution that I could try myself, but looks like I'm stuck.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 05:53 PM   #4
No one
Major
Rep

Hello! You don't need the diagnostics unless you keep doubting it'll be unit replacement. Just have it done. And not necessarily by a dealer, any garage should do (once you aren't ready for the challenge yourself - the cheapest DIY solution for least handy) as the video shows it's very easy. (Just is there any theft protection to handle to make it work?)

Last edited by No one; 03-09-2018 at 05:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 01:50 AM   #5
beemer30
Rep

Thanks once again for your help! The video is really good! My next question now is - where would you recommend buying another head unit please? Approximately how much do these cost? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 06:30 AM   #6
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer30 View Post
The video is really good!
I hope you did notice it in the previously mentioned thread.

Quote:
My next question now is - where would you recommend buying another head unit please? Approximately how much do these cost?
I would go to a dealer first. At very least there's the issue I mentioned: my previous car's crappy factory cd/radio unit was another car incompatible (mentioned in the manual). BMW appear carefree about theft protection (nothing in the manual I recall) but I guess I read they had introduced some protection with their top entertainment units recently. It might be easy to install another unit but tricky to make it work with your car. I would clarify this first. (Feel free to use the Internet too. ) There are plenty on "third party" sale so the theft protection issue if even existing isn't "severe" I guess. Still I would never feed doubtful sellers although it's the top units in high theft "demand" AFAIK, not the cheaper basic ones.

Regarding price. Where I'm stuck a Professional radio (without navigation!) unit costs about £800 in a reputable online store which is slightly lower than dealer's price. They would offer used ones much cheaper elsewhere. Just mind they might've ripped them off somebody's car in the street.

To minimize expenses I would find out with a dealer about their pricing and another unit's "compatibility" (say, would they install a unit you bring?). If the price of "all included" is too high reduce to dealer's minimum of solving the "compatibility" issue if existing (this might include ordering the unit "unlocked" for your car) and anyway, buying the unit from them if affordable even if "unnecessary". Do the rest elsewhere.

Just incidentally. The online store I mentioned above (I suspect they buy from a dealer at a discount) claims the unit is in stock. This must mean no "bespoke", just "plug-n-play" or coding at worst.

Quote:
Thanks!
You are welcome!

Last edited by No one; 03-10-2018 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: Added a consideration.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 10:18 AM   #7
beemer30
Rep

Thanks a lot for your help once again!
Haha I did see the video before yes! So essentially presuming the head unit is faulty it should be straightforward for to me replace. I might try and go to some local garages for a cheaper diagnostic to confirm the problem first and then try to get a replacement!
My unit I'm presuming will be the most basic one. It does not have sat nav, I can't even play music by bluetooth, so have to use iPod! So yeah, hopefully its not too pricey!
Which online store in particular are you referring to please?

Thanks once again, you've been very helpful indeed!!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 11:08 AM   #8
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
It's outside UK and they don't sell internationally. I converted the price into GBP for your convenience to reference.

Quote:
My unit I'm presuming will be the most basic one. It does not have sat nav, I can't even play music by bluetooth, so have to use iPod! So yeah, hopefully its not too pricey!
You can find out it's part number here (or on similar sites): www.realoem.com . I see second hand has been swept off in UK: I recall I happened to notice quite some available just may be a few years ago. Have people stopped upgrading at last (dumping replaced)? Never mind.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 07:28 AM   #9
pwaf13
“M”ing
Rep
Drives: W205 C63

Quote:
Hello everyone! I'm new here and in desperate need for help please!
I have a F21 2012 model. Since the past 2 weeks my iDrive has decided to reboot every 3 minutes on its own. It does not recognise my ipod anymore. I can't play music through the ipod, USB, CD, or every auxillary cable. I also cannot connect my mobile phone via Bluetooth as well. The only thing that works is the FM radio. Every time it restarts I get the BMW logo on the screen. It's really frustrating unfortunately!

I have tried disconnecting the battery, but no luck. The software update is the latest. I called BMW but they are charging me almost £160 just for a 1 hour diagnostic

I would really appreciate some tips as to what I can do to resolve this. I have searched the Internet for help, and seems like a recognised issue. But no solutions so far.

Thanks in advance for any help!!
Hello, out of interest, did this happen shortly after updating your software? (you mention you are on latest version, which version is that?)
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 08:06 AM   #10
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Here's one suggested on a neighbour forum. I chose the most basic unit (yours isn't as you mentioned Bluetooth ), notice "exchange"/"rmfd" ("not too new yet") - adjust your search: https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/produ...5-12-9-270-359 .
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 02:44 PM   #11
BMWmystique
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535iX

Connected Drive Reboots

Did you replace the head unit? Solved? My 2015 535iX started the reboot loop about a week after I upgraded to the new Pixel 3xl. Google support had me clear the cache and storage on the communication app in the phone. Now it works again!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 05:18 AM   #12
Vinaypatel
Registered
Rep
Drives: 5 series

I thought there was a way of checking this on the obd tools right ?
Appreciate 0