BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) > Car Wash question - best drying towel you've used?

04-01-2024, 10:29 AM   #45
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Gauntlet from The Rag Company. It beats all other mf towels I've used over the years.
These are currently $15 (vs. $20) during their anniversary sale.
https://theragcompany.com/products/the-gauntlet
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 1
bosstones1154.00
      04-07-2024, 01:25 PM   #46
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
I use reverse osmosis, filtered and deionized water at 0ppm for washing my cars. 0 spots and no towel drying. Much faster and no risk of towel scratches. Just need a 35 gal Tuffy trash can, filtration from salt water fish store. I use a Ryobi stick pump with a garden hose and it can wash 3 cars per trash can of water. Been using the filters and DI granulars for years with still perfect results.
Can you expand on this?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 02:47 PM   #47
cozye
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp - 328ix (hers)

Does no one use a synthetic shammy any longer? I’ve used them for years with great results. I the natural shammy’s suck, but the synethic ones like the shamwow do work really well. Currently I’m using a blower since my car is ceramic coated, but you do either have to touch up with a towel or deal with some micro beads being left behind in certain areas. Depends on how perfect you want it.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 04:42 PM   #48
VegasG42
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozye View Post
Does no one use a synthetic shammy any longer? I’ve used them for years with great results. I the natural shammy’s suck, but the synethic ones like the shamwow do work really well. Currently I’m using a blower since my car is ceramic coated, but you do either have to touch up with a towel or deal with some micro beads being left behind in certain areas. Depends on how perfect you want it.
I've been using a shammy for a while . But can't stand how much it sticks to the surface of the car, and squeaks . Also leaves tons of streaks unless you use a 2nd dry towel.

I'm going to try the liquid8r
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 06:21 PM   #49
MADBMWX5MC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

No shammy, but air blower...stopped using any dryng towel a few months now...no regrets.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 08:56 PM   #50
cozye
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp - 328ix (hers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasG42 View Post
I've been using a shammy for a while . But can't stand how much it sticks to the surface of the car, and squeaks . Also leaves tons of streaks unless you use a 2nd dry towel.

I'm going to try the liquid8r
It does squeak a bit. The streaks surprise me. I’ve never had that issue. Is there soap or something in your shammy ? I’ve only used the shamwow ones I bought at the auto store, synthetic. I spray and rinse them well and store moist in the plastic tube they come in.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 09:14 PM   #51
VegasG42
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozye View Post
It does squeak a bit. The streaks surprise me. I’ve never had that issue. Is there soap or something in your shammy ? I’ve only used the shamwow ones I bought at the auto store, synthetic. I spray and rinse them well and store moist in the plastic tube they come in.
To be more specific - streaks if I don't make a few passes, while wringing out the shammy a few times throughout the drying process
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 04:14 PM   #52
Colemme
Heliophile
United_States
Rep
Drives: MRoadster

Use a leaf blower to dry your car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph III View Post
Clark_Kent is correct. In addition, the blower may blow dirt/debri out of cracks and onto your newly washed vehicle which could lead to your imparting scratches, if you touch up with a towel afterward. Rinsing with distilled or de-ionized water would be considered the best overall method. Otherwise, I personally consider drying with two towels and a drying aid to be extremely safe and my favorite method, as a former professional Detailer and enthusiast.

The lead towel will always be wet/damp, as it's used to get up the majority of the water. You'll immediately follow up with a dry towel in getting up any remaining water. Dry the vehicle in sections.

Using a damp towel as the lead towel and a drying aid, makes towel drying an extremely safe method. You're much more likely to impart scratches into your paint during the washing process or by following up with towels after having used a blower.

Good luck,
Ralph

On MotorWeek (Episode 4331) debuted 3.18.2024. It's the episode with the Yellow Manthey Porsche 992 GT3!

Brian Rice-owner/operator of a paint correction and car care shop. Discusses how to wash and rinse your vehicle. When it comes to drying Brian states: "I tell people to try NOT to touch the car. You can use a leaf blower to dry it off; so that you're not rubbing a towel across the finish which could scratch it!"

So my electric-powered leaf blower "is in full effect" and the best way I have found to dry my car...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 05:59 PM   #53
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
Ceramic coating + water softener + leaf blower =
Haven't had a need for a drying toweling in 5 years
A blower is the way to go. Anytime you touch the paint you’re marring it to some degree. Maybe so minute that you can’t see it…..yet, but none the less, marring.
Appreciate 2
pikkagtr3896.50
Colemme31.00