BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > F20 Reversing Camera DIY Guide

03-22-2021, 02:06 PM   #1
Z13-F30
Rep
Drives: 320d F30 M-Sport

F20 Reversing Camera DIY Guide

Evening all!

A mate of mine has just bought an Automotive MMI Prime box for his F20, and thought as the camera is an extra £25 why not buy it!

I have a F30 and fitting the Camera on that is well documented, but not the F20, has anyone got a guide or any links i can send on for him?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 03:43 PM   #2
F20116iRed
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i f20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z13-F30 View Post
Evening all!

A mate of mine has just bought an Automotive MMI Prime box for his F20, and thought as the camera is an extra £25 why not buy it!

I have a F30 and fitting the Camera on that is well documented, but not the F20, has anyone got a guide or any links i can send on for him?

Thanks!
Hi mate, I fitted a reverse camera to mine the other day. A bit difficult to work out where to wire it etc.

However, I took mine through the right hand side of the boot as behind the trim Piece there is a small plug, if you take the trim out you'll see a big wiring harness that goes out to the brake lights. It's next to that one. You can just pull that out and it drops down to the bottom of the car. Feed the wire that connects to the display through there until you can reach it. Next, pull out the left number plate light (just un clips from right to left) and push your camera cable up there and feed it through until you see it drop down from underneath. I wrapped my cables in heat proof tape as they sit quite close to the exhaust heat shield. Then connect them up and take out the slack in the cable so that's it's not hanging. Then put the number plate light back in place (clips left to right) may need some extra force due to the camera cable being in the way but it'll fit fine without damaging it. Then replace the plug in the boot (may need to cut a small slit in the side to fit the cables through but it'll fit fine. Now if you the camera has an extra wire to connect to the reverse light for power you'll have to connect it to the reverse light which is in the left rear light. I had to extend the wire to do this. Remove the rear left light and remove the back cover. There are guides to this online. Slightly wedge the wire into the positive connection on the reverse light and there is another plug on the left side of the boot behind the trim that you can put the wire back down through and up into the rear light. Quite complicated but once you get started what I've said will make sense and only take about 30 minutes. Easier if you have 2 people to help with the job.

Please note, when you remove the right trim in the boot you have to take out the boot floor cover, then the plastic trim that covers the boot latch (just some plastic pins) then you can get the right trim out. However, you don't have to take it fully out you can just pull out the plastic tray below the boot light and just reach behind it, this is a bit more fiddly but easier when to put back together.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 09:08 AM   #3
Nabz97
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i, 2012, CIC, Black

I'm hearing an absolute mare trying to find where the wiring stuff is. Anybody got any pics?

Also, does the reverse camera have to be tapped into the reverse light? I've seen vids BMW Doctor and Keis Motorsports which both show you don't have to tap in - these were for F30 tbf.

Can't find any pics of vids on a hatch f20
Appreciate 0