BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > M135i tires/tyres

01-14-2015, 07:06 AM   #23
he3at
Rep
Drives: M135i

Just reviving this thread for the benefit of any M135i owners in Australia. Mine's just hit 19000km and the shoulders of both front PSS are just about gone. Must have been that run through the Victorian alps I did over the last couple of days.

If you're happy to try another brand, and can get in quick enough, Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 in 225/40 R18 92Y are $159 + shipping. I've just ordered 2, and it still works out quite cheap even though shipping to Vic is $35 per tyre and fitting/balancing are excluded.

It'll be interesting to see how they perform compared to the PSS, which other than the wear rate, have been absolutely flawless.

Source: http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/178977
Seller (Perth based): http://tyrebuy.com/store
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 07:11 AM   #24
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by he3at View Post
Just reviving this thread for the benefit of any M135i owners in Australia. Mine's just hit 19000km and the shoulders of both front PSS are just about gone. Must have been that run through the Victorian alps I did over the last couple of days.
Outer or inner shoulder? Or both? What tyre pressures have you been running?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 07:45 AM   #25
he3at
Rep

Outer shoulders. Inners don't look too bad. I run them at 35psi cold.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 07:48 AM   #26
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Outer shoulders. Inners don't look too bad. I run them at 35psi cold.
Sound like you could need some more negative camber up front, then.
This could also be caused by too much toe-in.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 08:14 AM   #27
he3at
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Sound like you could need some more negative camber up front, then.
This could also be caused by too much toe-in.
Interesting point. Is the camber adjustable as stock? I've only owned cars where the only wheel alignment that can be done is toe in/out.

As for toe in, you may be onto something. I have been noticing when parking, reversing or other low speed manoeuvres that if one front wheel hits a patch of gravel or something slippery when some steering lock is applied, it will release some lateral tension and slip slightly. Does this sound like an excessive toe situation?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 08:24 AM   #28
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Interesting point. Is the camber adjustable as stock? I've only owned cars where the only wheel alignment that can be done is toe in/out.
I don't know, but I have heard that the M135i is supposed to have slightly more negative camber from the factory than the lowend versions. Maybe due to an offset upper strut mount.

Quote:
As for toe in, you may be onto something. I have been noticing when parking, reversing or other low speed manoeuvres that if one front wheel hits a patch of gravel or something slippery when some steering lock is applied, it will release some lateral tension and slip slightly. Does this sound like an excessive toe situation?
The car is supposed to have some toe in, so that can happen even if the setting is correct. But it takes rather small deviations from the right toe settings to cause excessive wear.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 08:57 PM   #29
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Quote:

Identical problem here, although mine were sacrificed doing Reefton Spur repeats

Camber is not adjustable per se and sits around -0.5. I've have what was quite substantial toe-in altered to neutral toe. Better turn-in but a little too soon to advise re wear.

I run 38F/42R cold.
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 09:27 PM   #30
he3at
Rep

Sounds like I should get my alignment checked then. I've tended to favour neutral toe with previous cars, but I thought BMW would have got it right from factory so didn't bother checking. I certainly didn't notice any issue with a lack of turn-in!

I should add that quite a bit of front tyre wear also materialised after a Sandown track day earlier on, having overcooked the first turn after the 200+km/h straight.

Johnnydad, Reefton spur is a hoot. I should do it more often. Are you in Melb? Got any recommendations for a good wheel alignment place?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 05:33 PM   #31
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Quote:
Sounds like I should get my alignment checked then. I've tended to favour neutral toe with previous cars, but I thought BMW would have got it right from factory so didn't bother checking. I certainly didn't notice any issue with a lack of turn-in!

I should add that quite a bit of front tyre wear also materialised after a Sandown track day earlier on, having overcooked the first turn after the 200+km/h straight.

Johnnydad, Reefton spur is a hoot. I should do it more often. Are you in Melb? Got any recommendations for a good wheel alignment place?
Sorry, haven't logged in lately!

I'm in Sydney but visit friends in Victoria from time to time. Trutrack in North Melbourne are excellent for suspension work and alignment, but there isn't much to adjust anyway aside from the toe.
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 06:57 AM   #32
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Guys,

If you are wanting more camber using oem parts, see this thread about using F8x M3/4 lower control arms.

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1079766

BP
      01-23-2015, 07:06 AM   #33
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Guys,

If you are wanting more camber using oem parts, see this thread about using F8x M3/4 lower control arms.

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1079766

BP
Interesting! I think that will eventually be a very popular modification, along with the Quaife differential.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 07:28 AM   #34
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I did the m3 upgrade on my e91. Back then I used lower control arms (LCA) and tension strut (TS) ie both arms of the "lower wishbone". Added about -0.5 camber and upped steering feel/response.

Not sure effect of adding only F8x m3/4 LCA will have on F2x steering/castor angle......?
      01-23-2015, 07:40 AM   #35
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
I did the m3 upgrade on my e91. Back then I used lower control arms (LCA) and tension strut (TS) ie both arms of the "lower wishbone". Added about -0.5 camber and upped steering feel/response.

Not sure effect of adding only F8x m3/4 LCA will have on F2x steering/castor angle......?
If only the control arm is longer, the wheel will be moved slightly forwards, increasing the caster angle. It is very low on a stock F2X, so this should increase the steering feel, but probably not significantly. The steering arm will of course have to be adjusted longer as well, to keep the toe angles correct.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 09:00 AM   #36
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks.

I'm watching with interest feedback from others 1st before I wade in to get this mod done to my m135i.

A tad more camber should help save the softer shoulders on the Mich PSS's without compromising tyre to ground contact patch for braking