BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > NEW classic auto restoration reality series on Velocity channel

06-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2020 BMW X5M Compet ...  [0.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
NEW classic auto restoration reality series on Velocity channel

A good friend of mine has a new reality series permiering June 30 at 8:00 PM EST on Discovery Channel's Velocity network. Dan owns and operates a classic auto restoration shop in Norfolk, Virginia. The series revolves around Dan, his shop, and the restorations they do. The first episode features the restoration of a 1963 Corvette. Be sure to tune in!!!!

A Norfolk vintage car restoration crew stars in new cable series

The Virginian-Pilot
© May 27, 2013

Daniel Short no longer watches automotive television shows to relax. “Now,” he said, “I watch them to see what they’re doing.”

And with good reason.

Short and the crew of his automotive restoration shop, DRS FantomWorks of Norfolk, are about to become reality TV stars. Their show, “Fantom-Works,” debuts on The Discovery Channel’s Velocity network at 9 p.m. June 25.

The channel, part of Cox Cable’s HD lineup, launched in 2011 and now reaches 42 million subscribers nationwide.

Those viewers are about to get a dose of Short and his intense passion for restoring cars.

Short runs his shop with the same intensity he displayed when serving in the military as a program manager. That attribute didn’t go unnoticed by Nicolas Valcour, CEO and COO of New Dominion Pictures in Suffolk.

A couple of years ago, Valcour brought his 1957 Heinkel bubble car to FantomWorks to be restored. It wasn’t long before New Dominion was filming a pilot in the former restaurant-linen factory on Hampton Boulevard. Within a year, contracts had been signed, a network secured and shooting had begun.

The first season’s filming, which wrapped earlier this month, wasn’t embraced by everyone in the shop.

“There was actually a lot of kickback on doing the show,” Short said. “Some of the guys refused to be a part of it. If the cameras came around, they were deliberately disruptive just because they didn’t want the show here. It became my job to become a full-time referee.”

Some of that tension boiled over from the demands of shooting for television.

“There was constantly that turmoil, because sometimes the TV crew would want to skip ahead to something. And I would say, ‘We’re not there yet.’ ”

Short said that eventually New Dominion and Discovery allowed work to proceed at a natural pace, but it took some convincing.

“I said, ‘Look, it still takes nine months to make a baby. Even if you put nine women on it, they can’t make a baby in one month.’ ”

Everyone’s attitude seems to have changed since a rough cut of the first show was shown at the wrap party.

“They’re really excited by what they see,” Short said.

The initial episode deals with a soon-to-be-wed owner of a 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Sting Ray who wants his car fully restored in a mere eight weeks, in time to drive his bride away on their honeymoon.

That the series has reached the screen in fewer than two years is remarkably quick by industry standards. The Discovery Channel reality show “Mythbusters” took almost seven to get to the same point.

“I think folks are generally excited about it,” Short said. “You know, it’s fun having a TV show.”

And Valcour’s 1957 Heinkel bubble car? It remains unrestored.

“We’re actually holding that for Season 2.”

Last edited by AwesomeM3; 06-08-2013 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: premier changed from June 25 9:00 to June 30 8:00
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Last weekend I went to the FantomWorks shop in Norfolk, Virginia to watch the first episode of the new reality series “FantomWorks”. I have to say I was thoroughly entertained, and I found the show to be much more interesting than other reality car makeover shows. You can judge for yourself when the first episode will air on Sunday, June 30 at 8:00 PM EST on the Velocity channel.

The FantomWorks shop was quite a sight to see in person. It has a gorgeous 1950’s style malt shop, an amazing gas station, a huge showroom, as well as a woodworking shop, metal shop, upholstery shop, paint shop, and finishing shop. On the walls are an amazing collection of automobile and 1950’s/1960’s memorabilia throughout the building. Some of the most noteworthy memorabilia are an airplane hanging from the ceiling, a 1963 Corvette hanging on the wall, a classic Coke machine, and an old telephone booth.

The showroom has an amazing collection of classic cars including a 1967 Corvette convertible, the world’s first 1963 Corvette Convertible with FantomWorks custom manufactured Split Window hardtop, a 1957 Corvette, a 1959 Corvette, an Austin Healey, a real Mini, a Chevelle designed for the Wounded Warriors project (for disabled Vets), and a 1970 Mustang Mach 1 Super Cobra Jet. Throughout the building I saw various classic Corvettes, Mustangs, Camaros, and some one of a kind vehicles.

Don’t forget to watch “FantomWorks” airing Sunday, June 30th at 8:00 PM EST on the Velocity channel.

06-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

That garage and collection of cars are amazing. Any idea if it will only center around American classics? I saw an old Benz in there and was curious. Thanks for the heads up, i'll keep an eye out to tune in.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
I believe the show does focus on American classics, but I'm not positive. There were at least five different Mercedes cars in the shop that I saw (the black coupe was my fav!!), but I don't know if any of them were featured in the series.
      06-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Ask him what he wants for the Galaxy 500.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 12:49 AM   #6
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by harddo View Post
I watch them to see what they’re doing
Same. I love shows like that to see how they do certain things.
      06-29-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Jalopnik: Fantomworks Is A Reality Show About Cars That Doesn't Suck

Great article about the show! Be sure to watch the two videos: