BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > DIY Guides and Instructions > BMW f20 N13 2011 118i, wastegate dilemma

04-23-2022, 12:48 PM   #1
JR940
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW f20 118i sports n13

Firstly. My apologies if I'm in the wrong section, I normally browse forums but rarely ever post. Also I got the APP which is a new lifesaver already!!

Background, 118i F20 currently dropped by 35mm at the rear and 25mm at the front. Few other mods including GFB DV+ plus a K&N panel filter. Cat back exhaust which was straight piped till last week where I had a res put back in due to the unbearable drone at 1700RPM. Other than that I'm stock, no maps or other wise tuning. I do have ista+ and love the use of it in diagnosing but I'm by no means a pro.

Anyways I recently changed my turbo for a replacement however I'm not achieving the boost like how I was on the original turbo. I think this may be my fault as I had taken of the waste-gate actuator when re assembling but I don't think I've done the set up correctly. I did have the error code of low boost through ista+ and have been adjusting till the code has gone away however still feel I haven't got it 100%.

Could someone point me in the direction of how to set up the actuator on these turbos as at a lost. I'm handy with tools so I'll be doing the work myself. I'll try get some photos of how I've set up so far as the heat shield is left off indefinitely till I've fixed this.

Thank you for any responses

Edit+

Forgot to mention. Replaced the turbo after intake tube piece managed to tear away and be chewed up my the turbo leading to Bent fins on the compressor side
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 07:30 AM   #2
IJO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 116I F20

I suggest disconnecting the linkage from the wastegate lever pivot.

Make sure the wastagte is fully closed and then see if the linkage can be refitted without moving the rod.

If not, then the wastagate has not been fully closed and you need to slacken the lock nut and adjust the rod end so it drops onto the lever pivot easily.
Appreciate 1
JR9400.00
      04-25-2022, 10:41 AM   #3
JR940
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJO View Post
I suggest disconnecting the linkage from the wastegate lever pivot.

Make sure the wastagte is fully closed and then see if the linkage can be refitted without moving the rod.

If not, then the wastagate has not been fully closed and you need to slacken the lock nut and adjust the rod end so it drops onto the lever pivot easily.
Thank you for the reply, In order to attach the the rod back to the waste gate during the closed position, I would have to apply vacuum to the actuator to bring the rod closer. Other wise it will not reach? The rod shortens as vacuum is applied
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 08:29 PM   #4
JR940
Registered
Rep

I was given the understanding that when the engine at idle the wastegate remains open and accelerating closes the wastegate through applied vacuum
Appreciate 0